Replace Macedonians, Carthagians and Palmyrans

You can just rename Yamato to Xiongnu without changing even building set, civ icon or anything at all and that will be fine.

If we were to merge all civilizations into fewer just because some guy had a son that ruled a different kingdom and they happened to share culture and language, then I propose we have one single civilization: Homo Sapiens, full tech tree, period.

1 Like

Ah ok okā€¦

[quote=ā€œProkman7582, post:52, topic:231701ā€]
Regarding the topic, of course it doesnā€™t make sense to rename, and change to something else those civs, because they do represent different centers of power. The Greeks are umbrella term for several city states of Bronze and Iron age (Mycenae, Athens, Sparta, Thebes, Miletus, Syracuse and lots other city states). While Macedonians, another umbrella term, represent the successor (diadochi in Greek) kingdoms of Alexanderā€™s empire; Kingdom of Macedon, Seleucid Empire, Ptolemaic Empire, and few others, of Iron age solely:

Of course letā€™s say that the Greeks and Minoans symbolize the classical Greeks of the Bronze and Iron Ages (2000-400 BCE) and the Macedonians symbolize the pre-Roman conquest Greeks (336-146 BCE) (for a reason the Pyrrhus campaign is with Macedonians and not with Greeks)ā€¦

True, but I donā€™t see it as necessaryā€¦ you can give the Greeks better hoplites in Bronze Age (representing the Spartans and the Troyan and Greco-Persian Wars) and some technology from the government center for free in Iron Age (symbolizing Athenian democracy and the Pericles century)ā€¦

Something like thatā€¦

I donā€™t see myself as a Greek split, but I do see a Roman splitā€¦

Xiongnu is from Central Asia, it has nothing to do with Yamatoā€¦

Neanderthals confirmedā€¦xd

Just tell me which civ bonus, language, unique unit, tech, castle, wonder, civ icon or what is there that will not match for Xiongnu if only the rename is done?

1 Like

The Xiognu are ancestors of the Huns and Mongolsā€¦they could have similar language and civ bonuses: Start the game with -100 wood, but with the population cap at the maximum (Huns) and Hunters work +40% faster (Mongols)ā€¦

Units donā€™t speak any language. Play the game, instead of just foruming, thatā€™s why you donā€™t understand sarcasm.

Yamato are renamable to Xiongnu with no other changes needed. This is an example of how AoE1 civs have quite literally no difference.

No need to to replace name just design them in a different way:

Cavalry and Horse Archer civilization:

• Hunted animals contain 25% more food
  • Heavy Cavarly upgrade free.
  • Horse Archers + 1 range.
  • Storage Pits cost -75 wood

Team Bonus: Storage Pits work 80% faster

Seriously I would recommend making some new architecture set. This is just too cheap if dev are to sell DLC of such civs.

1 Like

Xiongnu can keep the East Asian architecture set, but for Scythians is hard to find one.

I think Macedonians and Carthaginians are correct.
I only have problems with Palmyrans, it is too specific and not very relevant. Instead just call them Arabic and it will be much more comprehensive.

Well, I think that videoā€™s content is rather close to fictional, as its owner says in its description: ā€œReconstructed pronunciation and words. Just for fun! XDā€.

Minoan language remains unknown and unclassified today, because the two writing systems Minoans used (Cretan hierogliphs and Linear A) are undeciphered and partly deciphered respectivelly, yet.

Important notice: We are talking about our ability to read the Minoan texts. To know how the words might sounded (pronounciation) is a totally different story. We will never learn this.

I love how everyone here are such history ā€œexpertsā€.

None of us cared about this when we were ten using win xp playing aom and ape 2. Give me break. All this woke nonsense is gonna ruin this franchise.

Most people play the franchise for casual fun not historical accuracy.

Just give them and other barbarian groups such as celts germanics dacians a generic barbarian building set.

Right, because replacing the only civ in the game without Temples with a civ that was the first to make Christianity the state religion makes a lot of senseā€¦

2 Likes

Why would anyone want to replace any civilization, even if they might not have been very significant, such as the Palmyrans? It is a game not a history dissertation. We have played and enjoyed these civs for nearly 26 years. Please, just leave them be.

Even from a historical viewpoint, Carthage and Macedonia clearly deserve to be distinct civs in the game. I am really surprised that people have a problem with that. Carthage, the civ that fought two of the most interesting wars in ancient history against Rome? Macedonia with its conquests, which ushered in the Hellenistic age, one of the most dynamic periods in history? Sorry, but this is mind-boggling to me.

4 Likes

Yes, I know, but I mean for later and that they donā€™t just say ā€œrooganā€ā€¦

Yes, they are practically identical even if you change their name, thatā€™s trueā€¦ you can put Romans, Macedonians and Palmyrans to fight on the same map and you wouldnā€™t know how to differentiate any of themā€¦

Could be Eastern European architectureā€¦

It happens that Arabic sounds very medievalā€¦

Yes, but thatā€™s what we haveā€¦if linear A or B had survived it would have been like seeing Greek written in Japaneseā€¦

It is that the game induces us to read history and when the history does not match the game, it generates a ā€œludonarrative disconnectionā€ā€¦

Yes tooā€¦

Yes, thatā€™s trueā€¦

Sure, I couldnā€™t have said it betterā€¦the Palmyrans are debatable, but I feel they may represent the 3rd century AD Middle Eastā€¦

2 Likes

Arenā€™t the Scythians related to Persians? Why is nobody suggesting Mesopotamian architecture for them?

Oh, so historical accuracy is woke, now?
Gosh, every day this word become more meaninglessā€¦

2 Likes

Wokes care the least about history, culture, religion etc. Are you a woke ?

1 Like

Just to be clear, replacing Palmyrans with Arabic is not good. Arabic was quite limited back then, Itā€™d be Levantine instead.

(And I personally wanna keep Palmyrans since itā€™s been Palmyra for over 20 years.)

2 Likes