[Request] Unique voice lines for Sicilians, Burgundians, Goths, Byzantines and Huns

Yeah, they could use the HD version of the Monastery for the Lithuanians and Magyars, and eventually the Poles, while the Slavs and Bulgarians can keep the DE Eastern European Monastery. Alternatively, the Byzantines can simply have a different Orthodox Monastery as part of a new architecture set shared with the Armenians and Georgians (though the Monastery may still be the one thing different, as the pointy roofs of the Caucasian civs is a contrast to the more rounded Byzantine churches).

1 Like

Apparently I read on AoE Wikia that the Central & Eastern European architecture Monasteries were modelled on Cathedrals found in today’s Poland, Romania & Georgia (Caucuses).

Even this guy (the actor voicing him anyway) is speaking a mix of Attic & Koine Greek:

2 Likes

The only point I would like to make is that Sicilians during the Medieval Era were probably speaking Greek. The Sicilian Kingdom had Greek as its official language.

So the Norman language hadn’t fully taken over by that point? I suppose it makes sense that there’d still be lots of Greek speakers considering Apulia and Sicily were originally Byzantine possessions, but the Sicilians civ’s thematic focus does seem to be its rich hybrid of various cultures under one roof. This also justifies their existence in the game alongside the Italians, who are much more specifically based on the various independent northern Italian city-states.

1 Like

It’s a complex situation. When the Normans conquered Sicily, half the population was Greek speaking and the other half was Arab speaking. When the Normans took over, they brought over immigrants from France. Sicily did not become a fully Latinized until the late 16th century when the Papacy forced Sicilians to convert to Catholicism.

It will be definitely more historically accurate than it is now! They could change the priest too! But nah, this is going too far. We love the Wololo AOE2 priest as it is anyways :smiley: