Return of Rome Discussion

Depends on the civ design I think. ^^

4 Likes

Could be argued that WRE was Latin influenced and ERE - Greek.

4 Likes

I thinkbit really doesnt, and in general when the civs are sooooo close togheter adding both of them is a waste of a civ slot

It could be argued, but they were so so close in administration, military and culture I think you have to see them as the same civilization. If you add a new Roman civ it would be a better representation of early Byzantines than Byzantines themselves

Either way we should avoid this topic I think, since we would be just doing the same as the previous post (which Im not sure why it closed)

2 Likes

i dont enjoy the lack of information. the devs should communicate more with the playerbase :frowning:

8 Likes

Yeah, not really a whole lot to add to this topic. Ironically, the only thing I can think of that’s changed since the last thread is the introduction of a ton of bugs with the last update. Which does not bode well for an early release date of RoR (or it having a high-functioning state when it arrives).

TBH this year’s been off to a rough start for AoE2, at least AFAIC. Coming into it there were already concerns about unfulfilled parts of the road “Road Map,” and the two (known) big projects of the year are things that I don’t much care for, yet are still able to break the things I do use. Throw subpar communication on top of that, and it’s easy to be less-than optimistic about the state of the game now and in the near future.

Which happens, it’s not the end of the world, I just hope the devs learn something from this (and communicate better). In the meantime I’ll probably be taking a break from AoE2.

12 Likes

Hope the devs give us a scenario editor for Return of Rome

1 Like

Seems like a long journey for the devs to return to Rome from India :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

I don’t know if the game would get an annoying discussion if new info were shared officially and openly…
I remember the silence during Dynasties of India expansion, imagine the noise that would be with people knew about Shrivamsha and Chakram earlier.

4 Likes

Must be waiting for the monsoon winds to return.

3 Likes

What we can talk about the DLC is the AoE1 port, wjich tbh im happy thats happening since AoE1 DE was nearly unplayable compared to AoE2 performance wise and was also lacking a lot of QoL features

6 Likes

Probably they are doing campaigns for the Western Roman civ and some other things? It may be a hard work to design historical campaigns. So, why didn’t they try to hire some custom campaign designers like Shimakaze23? :smile:

2 Likes

You realize that they have probably the best campaign creators in the community already working for them right?

4 Likes

Maybe some of them. But definitely not most of them.

2 Likes

Absolutely.
That is honestly the singe thing that I look forward to the most.
The AoE1(DE) Editor doesn’t even have triggers.

My dream would be having all the AoE1DE and AoE2DE content available in the Editor at the same time.
It might make no sense to mix Hand Cannons with Bronze Age Short Swords but there are many unique units in AoE2DE that wouldn’t look out of place next to AoE1DE ones.
AoE2DE even has a chariot now.

The main issue would be the scale difference.
Stats can be changed in the Editor.
Unit tags could also be an issue. Phalanx have a Heavy Infantry tag that doesn’t exist in AoE2DE and AoE1DE also misses a bunch of AoE2DE tags like Camel or even Elephant. That can also be changed in the Editor by modifying armour and attack types though.

8 Likes

It’s not that the devs aren’t doing anything
They didn’t jump from DoI DLC to RoR DLC, they released the console version of the game a few days ago (big hit if you ask me)
RoR is next on the list (I think) but it’s going to be a busy year for them; even more so if the console version maintains the audience it is having right now
About the roadmap you are absolutely right, they should commit to what they promise; but I think that now they will no longer put any roadmap, so they cannot fail in what they do not promise

Communication from the devs has pretty much always been sub-par since the very beginning (when AoE DE launched), if they haven’t learned by now after many attempts by users notifying them of this issue then it will never improve - and this is hurting sales for sure.

It’s about time we finally get an update on this, my interest is waning. I most likely will not buy Return of Rome right away but will wait until it’s on sale and in a decent playable state. I do not support these continueing bad updates and poorly tested patches (regarding crashes and whatnot). I’m also wondering when there will be a public Return of Rome beta, since this surely needs quite some playtesting before release.

At least give us some info, any tiny bit which can fuel speculation is good for raising interest. Please.

9 Likes

A final public beta would absolutely make sense since porting a whole game to the AoE2 engine certainly brings lots of new bugs.

3 Likes

I would understand the ‘‘silence approach’’ if that means not getting this forum flooding with speculations and players dreaming, so such things would mean that is harder for devs look for topics explaining bugs elsewhere on whatever game is directed the fixing… I hope devs took account for the feedback of the beta players and fixed some things, while explaining all new stats for units and buildings.

They like to take everyone by storm, like the surprise announcement for Xbox version. :sweat_smile: They are lucky that our fanbase try to be patient and are passionate about the franchise, but by myself, I expect they bring good surprises in this Expansion to justify the suspense… It’s too quiet just like a stealth game.

Aoe2 DE had a open beta 4 years ago, 3 days for a public beta could get some hype and attract attention on a weekend, maybe ?

1 Like

Flood, speculations and players dreaming is exactly what we get right now, BECAUSE we pretty much nothing is confirmed.

2 Likes