Return of Rome Discussion

There was a great mod/planned mod that added a bunch of stuff to the main tech tree like Rise of Rome did. And it all was with the aim of fixing problems like a lack of basic spearmen, or unit lines ending abruptly.

Was really good. I hope the devs look at incorporating it.

1 Like

I think he means the three different variants of the house for each architecture in AoE2.

Yes, but that’s because in the Middle Ages there were more types of architecture as sedentary lifestyles were adopted as a way of life, in AoE 1 the 5 types of architecture are fine for now, although I rule it out as new civs are added to AoE 1 there are new types of architecture…

I’m sorry, people didn’t wait for the Middle Ages to start having doors facing different directions.

12 Likes

I really hope they add the variations of the houses. They have the sprites anyway. Some modifications would be only be needed.

3 Likes

In early antiquity, they barely had a blanket as a door…the oldest doors are from the bronze age at best…

Ok, I think you’re consistantly missing all the points…

4 Likes

I hope they add a technology that increased the population per House and Town Centre from 4 to 5 like it is in AoE2.
It’s kinda crazy how many houses you have to build and they even cost more then in AoE2.

4 Likes

I hope the default/ladder population limit will not exceed 200.

50 houses/TCs per game to reach population cap of 200 is exaggeration already. Compared to aoe2, in which we build 40 houses at most (without counting any Castle’s space).

1 Like

Stupid question but what population is AoE1 usually played with?
AoE1DE goes up to 250 but I assume that’s not what people play with.
AoE2DE is played with 200 despite allowing up to 500.

AoE1 is not fun at higher populations but that’s mostly because of technical reasons like path finding being shit.

Having good path finding also changes the balance.

Seems that they go with the maximum available in aoe1de. In Red Bull Wololo: Legacy 2022 was 250, and the few streamer lobbies I have seen too.

They also prefer speed 2.0 (!!!), which is madness.

Why is this not censored but
H
I
T
T
I
T
E
S
is?

7 Likes

There is article and screenshot with tech called urbanization in iron age, which is suppose to double the house value so houses become from 4 to 8, but since this is from november things may change.

8 pop? That’s quite a lot.
Also researching this tech probably usually means that you won’t need to build any more houses anymore after.

I can only comment on English medieval architecture, but the houses in AoE2 are – if anything – actually too varied. The L-shaped one with the sticky-up roof extension is particularly odd. Most houses would have had a rectangular floor plan, and no complicated roof joins. (This should not be interpreted as a criticism – I think the variety was a good artistic choice.)

1 Like

Seems like we are getting a trailer tomorrow guys. Just announced on social media.

7 Likes

For reference:
https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1650606876789276672

2 Likes

Sounds more like some XBox related stuff but fingers crossed it’s a trailer for Return of Rome! :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

They just posted a picture of the colosseum. It’s Rome.

2 Likes

Who wore it better?

We got the statue detail, though it is cool to see they liked our idea of partially installing the roof shades. Now I am super interested in seeing what else makes it into the civ.

3 Likes