Returning from Statistics screen takes suspiciously long

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.61321.0 8595115
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

I am almost certainly experiencing the same bug as two other people who made a bug report independently of each other. These are:

The reason for creating yet another bug report is because I think I have some useful information to add and because I think the titles of these two other bug reports do not describe the bug completely accurately. In my experience, the problem does not lie with navigating to the Main Menu, but with navigating from the Statistics screen. Specifically, consider the following three situations:

• I have played a game in Skirmish or Multiplayer. I am on the Statistics screen. I click on ‘Return to Main Menu’.
  • I have played a Campaign. I am on the Statistics screen. I click on ‘Return to Campaigns’.
  • I have watched a recorded game. I am on the Statistics screen. I click on ‘Return to Replays’.

In all three of those situations, the action takes approximately 7 seconds to complete. These are the only buttons that give me problems. For example, if I am on the Statistics screen and I click on ‘Return to Map’, then the game responds immediately. The problem lies with the bottom left button of the Statistics screen, whatever menu that button is navigating you towards.

This issue persists if I disable all mods and restart the game.

Furthermore, if I click one of these buttons that take 7 seconds to load, at the very end of the loading process, I usually briefly (for less than 1 second) see a black screen. Often, this black screen has some weird colors sprinkled on it in random locations. I managed to capture this moment in a screenshot. The screenshot is attached near the end of this bug report.

Once, when I was running another process while clicking this button, my game even crashed, but this does not usually happen.

I saw some other bug reports about slowly responding buttons as well. Most notably,
@ GamingPriest97 (Menu navigation has slow response after update) wrote that navigating menus is slow for him, too. However, the example that he gave was navigating from Multiplayer to Main Menu. I could not reproduce this issue, as I only experience problems trying to navigate from the Statistics screen to a menu.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Go to the Statistics screen through any means.
  2. Click on the button in the lower left corner that starts with the words ‘Return to’ (could be ‘Return to Main Menu’ or ‘Return to Campaigns’ or ‘Return to Replays’).

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

I was supposed to return to the menu faster than 7 seconds. When I e.g. want to navigate from the Multiplayer screen to the Main Menu, this takes less than 1 second, and the same should be the case when I try to do the same thing from the Statistics screen.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

This is the screenshot I managed to capture at the end of the loading process (in this example, just before returning to the Campaign menu):

Whenever I see this screen, the colors are always in a different location. Sometimes, just before starting a game or watching a recorded game (which does not take longer than usual), I see the same screen in a small fraction of a second.

I am aware that @ thieftdp8498 does not see the same screen. He uploaded a useful video in his bug report that highlights the problem of the long loading time, though.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

4 Likes

The same thing happens to me, screen freezes with fireworks in the background. In my case, every time I finish a campaign scenario.

1 Like

extreme delay, for modder this is hell. wait 8 seconds each time finish testing something…

2 Likes

HI @Mercy9545 !

Thanks for this, we are already tracking this issue!

1 Like

Do you know if this issue will get picked up by the team at some point?

@Mercy9545 unfortunately we cannot provide an ETA for the fix.

almost half a year =(