Reworking the unused Age Ups for European Civilizations

A brief introduction. We all know that certain Age Ups are only taken when they are available. For example, Quartermaster and Exile Prince, since this Age Up has significantly more value than other Age Ups. A few Age Ups are just plain bad and offer way too little value.
With all the new introductions and mechanics, it’s very possible to make those age ups usable. In this post, I would like to limit myself to the Age Ups, so no card changes or unit changes in general. There are one or two places where you have to make small adjustments, but these should be as small as possible. When making the adjustments, I also made sure that as much as possible was used of what was already available.
Why am I doing this work? I think just these small changes will allow a lot of alternatives to be played to the standard openings, it will also have a big impact on the game and refresh the meta with only minimal changes. I even think it will have a lot more impact than the last big patch. I’ve put a lot of thought into the balancing here and I think it has a very solid base, but before implementing these changes a PUP version is imperative for testing. All the good Age Ups are still available, so don’t worry, they won’t be changed.

Spain

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 settlers and 100 wood
(The wood makes this age up significantly more usable, it can now be viewed as a solid economic age up)

philosopher prince
200 food, 100 wood, 100 gold
(Due to the resource mix you get here you are very well positioned and can go in all directions, much better use than 500 food)

logistician
Deliveries in the Age of Discovery reach their destinations faster and include additional resources delivered directly to their stash (100 Food, 50 Lumber, 50 Coins)
(The fifth age up in the first always cost 900 food up until then. I see this age up as an unused resource that could be used to make the game even more valid. Because of this, all age ups now only cost 800 food in the first . Due to the revision (weakening) of these Age Ups, these Age Ups are now a valid option and allow the Civ to play new strategies)

Lieutenant (replaces inventor) (needs new picture)
3 musketeers
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 3 musketeers might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

Habsburg contingent (replaces Oberfeldwebel) (use royalist image)
5 veteran line infantry (max 8) and allows to build line infantry in barracks (also allows guard advancement in barracks)
(Through the introduction of these royal houses, there is a great opportunity to use them, that’s what I did here. These houses all have a lot to do with the respective nation and are also story-specific. They bring some units into the unit selection and can do it complement well. However, the units are very limited, but do not cost a pop cap, unless it is explicitly stated)

Age 3 Up

Guardsman (replaces Papal Guardsman)
Guard advancements for crossbowmen and melee infantry are much cheaper
(Only the name has been changed here, as it doesn’t exactly go well with Spain)

Age 4 up

Marine Minister (replaces Mercenary Leader)
1 battleship (max. 1) and allows building battleships in the port
(Mercenary Leader is completely useless for many nations as many civs can’t go to mercenaries as they don’t have upgrades. I have a good alternative here with an additional See Age Up. The warship costs 2000 resources to build so it’s worth exactly what you would get at an Age 4 Up)

Sitting member (replaces Knight)
1 Capitol wagon and 25% discount on all technologies in the Capitol (except spies and blockade)
(Nobody needs the scout advancements in the Capitol, this alternative opens up a good economic age up that benefits every civ)

Royalist (replaces Inventor)
8 Guards Saxon Cuirrasiers (max. 8) and enables Saxon Cuirrasiers to be trained in the stable
(enables the guard upgrade in the stable)
(Through the introduction of these royal houses, there is a great opportunity to use them, that’s what I did here. These houses all have a lot to do with the respective nation and are also story-specific. They bring some units into the unit selection and can do it complement well. However, the units are very limited, but do not cost a pop cap, unless it is explicitly stated)

Sweden

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 settlers and 100 wood
(The wood makes this age up significantly more usable, it can now be viewed as a solid economic age up)

philosopher prince
(Due to the resource mix you get here you are very well positioned and can go in all directions, much better use than 500 food)

logistician
1 barracks wagon and 150 gold
(The fifth age up in the first always cost 900 food up until then. I see this age up as an unused resource that could be used to make the game even more valid. Because of this, all age ups now only cost 800 food in the first . Due to the revision (weakening) of these Age Ups, these Age Ups are now a valid option and allow the Civ to play new strategies)

3 Carolines
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 3 Carolines might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 3 Up

Admiral of the Ocean (replaces Gentleman Pirate)
1 caravel and 300 wood
(Sweden had a great navy and dominated the Baltic Sea for a long time, here I find the admiral far more appropriate)

Jagiellonian Regiment (replaces Mercenary Leader)
4 Veteran Shock Riders (max. 8) and allows you to train Shock Riders in the stable
(Guard Upgrade is also available in the Stable)

Age 4 Up

logistician
1 free technology ## ### ######## 400 wood and 100 gold
(The Age Up is more usable than a Fort. The Age Up also makes it possible to work with the improved arsenal. Should this card be skillful, this free technology also applies to the better upgrades. The best upgrade is worth 700 resources, giving you the Age Up has a maximum value of 1200 resources, which is only 200 resources above the normal Age Up, all nations that had the Logistician in Age 4 have access to this Age Up)

12 Pikemen and the Royal Guard Pikemen advancement is free
(Certainly not the best age up, but all nations have it and for a few nations you can use this age up)

Age 4 Up

Chancellor (replaces Knight)
1 Capitol wagon and 25% discount on all technologies in the Capitol (except spies and blockade)
(Nobody needs the scout advancements in the Capitol, this alternative opens up a good economic age up that benefits every civ)

Royalist
6 Garde Geflügelte Husaren (max. 8) und ermöglicht ihre Ausbildung im Stall

Russia

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 settlers and 100 wood

philosopher prince

logistician
1 stable wagon and 150 gold

4 musketeers
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 4 musketeers might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

Jagiellonian Regiment (replaces Mercenary Leader)
4 Veteran Shock Riders (max. 8) and allows you to train Shock Riders in the stable
(Guard Upgrade is also available in the Stable)

Age 3 Up

logistician
(The Age Up is more usable than a Fort. The Age Up also makes it possible to work with the improved arsenal. Should this card be skillful, this free technology also applies to the better upgrades. The best upgrade is worth 700 resources, giving you the Age Up has a maximum value of 1200 resources, which is only 200 resources above the normal Age Up, all nations that had the Logistician in Age 4 have access to this Age Up)

Age 4 up

(Mercenary Leader is completely useless for many nations as many civs can’t go to mercenaries as they don’t have upgrades. I have a good alternative here with an additional See Age Up. The warship costs 2000 resources to build so it’s worth exactly what you would get at an Age 4 Up)

Royalist
16 Northern Musketeers Guards (max. 30) and enables their training in the blockhouse
(Northern Guard Musketeers now cost population though)

Portuguese

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 settlers and 100 wood

logistician
1 Barracks wagons and infantry in the second age get +1 range

3 musketeers
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 3 musketeers might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

Ethiopian Queen
6 Elite Shotel Warriors
(to get the value of approx. 800 resources, 1 additional Shotel is definitely appropriate)

5 veteran line infantry (max 8) and allows to build line infantry in barracks (also allows guard advancement in barracks)

Age 3 Up

The engineer
3 organ cannons
(2 organ cannons don’t have the value of an Age 3 Ups here either, so 3)

Viceroy
4 settlers and 400 wood
(The wood is better used as food, for example, as well as the settlers (as fishing boats) more allround)

(Only the name has been changed here, as it doesn’t exactly go well with Spain)

Age 4 up

Royalist (replaces Inventor)
8 Guards Saxon Cuirrasiers (max. 8) and enables Saxon Cuirrasiers to be trained in the stable
(enables the guard upgrade in the stable)

Osmanen

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 Yörük and 100 wood

logistician
1 mosque wagon and 100 gold

2 Janissaries
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 2 Janissaries might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

sniper
5 Abus riflemen
(Again, the Age Up did not have the value of an Age 3)

Phanar contingent (replaces Mercenary Leader) (Royalist image)
6 Veteran Evzone (max. 10) and enables their training in the barracks (as well as their guard upgrade)
(The Evzone give the Ottomans a unit to fight light cavalry as Abus Riflemen lost that multiplayer)

Age 3 Up

logistician

Age 4 up

Royalist
15 Nizam Fusilier and increases the build limit by 15
(Musketeers cost population by default so that shouldn’t be a problem here)

Malteser

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 Siedler and 100 wood

logistician
1 Arsenal Wagon and a free Arsenal Technology
(Support for a wooden rush (breastplate) or cavalry game (cuirass))

3 Guardians
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 3 Guardians might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

Knight of the Order (replaces Mercenary Leader) (Image of Scottish Marshal)
3 Order Hussars

Age 3 Up

The pope
1300 Xp in crates
(Was a little too weak if you could act with 1000 gold and got 2000 Xp in the church for 1500 gold)

Order Guardsman (replaces Papal Guardsman)
(Only the name has been changed here, as it doesn’t exactly go well with Malta)

Age 4 Up

Order Envoy (replaces Knight)

Scottish Marshal
Increases Attack and Health by 50%, unlocks a powerful Oberhau attack, and allows area of ​​effect (2) damage in melee
(A small improvement of the age up, since it was otherwise really bad. Oberhau attack is already in the game (400 damage with area damage))

Italy
Here you have to change the Advanced Politicians card and also make the Carabinieri a Naitiv Unit. This allows for the introduction of a new royal house, the House of Savoy

Age 1 Up

philosopher prince

logistician
1 military wagon and 100 wood
(The Military Wagon can build Barracks, Stables, Gun Foundry and Port)

3 musketeers

Age 2 Up

5 Veteran Mounted Infantry (max 8) and allows to build Mounted Infantry in Barracks (also unlocks the Guard upgrade in Barracks)

Admiral of the Ocean (replaces Gentleman Pirate)
1 caravel and 300 wood
(Italy had a great navy and dominated the Mare Nostrum for a long time, here I find the admiral far more appropriate)

Age 3 Up

The pope
1300 Xp in crates
(Was a little too weak if you could act with 1000 gold and got 2000 Xp in the church for 1500 gold)

logistician
(The Age Up is more usable than a Fort. The Age Up also makes it possible to work with the improved arsenal. Should this card be send, this free technology also applies to the better upgrades. The best upgrade is worth 700 resources, giving you the Age Up has a maximum value of 1200 resources, which is only 200 resources above the normal Age Up, all nations that had the Logistician in Age 4 have access to this Age Up)

Age 4 Up

Royalist
Provides 10 Garde Carabinieri (max. 10) and allows them to be trained in the stable

Dutch

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 Trader and 100 wood

logistician
1 military wagon (barracks/stable) and 1 halberd, allows to build halberds in the second age
(No veteran halberds in the second age)
(Support for a wooden rush (breastplate) or cavalry game (cuirass))

2 Veteranen halberdier
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 2 halberdier might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon)

Age 2 Up

Age 3 Up

Sharpshooter (replaces Royal Musketeer)
8 skirmishers
(Royal Musketeer does not fit since skirmishers are sent)

logistician
(The Age Up is more usable than a Fort. The Age Up also makes it possible to work with the improved arsenal. Should this card be send, this free technology also applies to the better upgrades. The best upgrade is worth 700 resources, giving you the Age Up has a maximum value of 1200 resources, which is only 200 resources above the normal Age Up, all nations that had the Logistician in Age 4 have access to this Age Up)

Viceroy
4 settlers and 400 wood
(The wood is better used as food, for example, as well as the settlers (as fishing boats) more allround)

Age 4 Up

Royalist
18 Blue Guardsmen (max. 30) and enables their training in the barracks, the Imperial Upgrade is also unlocked
(Musketeers cost population by default so that shouldn’t be a problem here)

French

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 Coureur de Bois and 70 wood

logistician
2 military wagons (stable, barracks, artillery foundry in the 3rd age, harbor)
(It’s not much different than 400 wood, but France can react a little faster to everything the opponent does, which is a must for the nation)

3 musketeers

Age 2 Up

Royal Contingent (Replaces Mercenary Leader) (Image by Royalist)
4 Veteran Royal Dragoons (max 10) and allows you to build Royal Dragoons in the Barracks, also unlocks the Guard Upgrade in the Stables
(Most native posts offer skirmishers, so you can make a native Skirm Goon combo)

Age 3 Up

Swiss Guard (replaces Papal Guard)
4 Swiss Pikemen and Guards Crossbowmen and melee infantry advancements are much cheaper
(An adjustment of the name and the addition of 4 Swiss pikemen make the Age Up a little more attractive)

Age 4 Up

Royalist
Delivers 16 Royal Musketeers Guards (max. 30) and allows them to be trained in the Barracks
(They now cost population though)
(France has many card that support naitives so you have the opportunity to take advantage of this a little better in the 5th age)

German

Age 1 Up

naturalist
1 settler wagon and 100 wood

logistician
100 wood and +1 Uhlans for each ship delivery in the first and second ages

Rittmeister (replaces inventor) (needs new picture)
2 Uhlans
(If you’re expecting a hard rush those 2 Uhlans might make a difference, definitely better than a hot air balloon and its a unice Name in the German promotion rank)

philosopher prince

Age 2 Up

Wettin contingent (replaces Oberfeldwebel) (Image by Royalists)
5 Trabants and enables the training of Trabants (max. 8) and Saxon Cuirrasiers (max. 8) in barracks/stables. Unlocks the Veteran and Guard upgrade in the Barracks and Stables
(This Age Up allows for a little better reflection of the Holy Roman Empire with the various units and also perfectly replaces the Sergeant Age Up as both units are strong melee infantry)

Age 3 Up

6 Doppelsoldner and Guard melee infantry upgrades are much cheaper
(a small improvement for the Age Up, but only applies to melee infantry here, perfect for Doppelsoldner play)

Viceroy
2 settler wagon and 400 wood

Age 4 Up

Black Duke
Provides 16 Black Brunswick Guards (max. 30) and allows them to be trained in the barracks
(they cost population now though)

British

Age 1 Up

naturalist
2 settlers and 100 wood

logistician
Gun Foundry wagon and 100 gold

philosopher prince

3 musketeers

Age 2 Up

Scout (replaces Mohawk statesman)
4 Hussars
(I know that the British will be nerfed in the next patch, but if this is still too strong, the number will be reduced to 3 Hussars)

Hanoverian Contingent (Replaces Mercenary Leader) (Picture of Black Duke)
2 drummers and enables the training of drummers (max. 2) in the barracks and Totenkopfhussars (max. 5) in the stable. Enables the Guard upgrade in the Barracks and Stables.

Age 3 Up

logistician

Viceroy
4 settlers and 400 wood

Age 4 Up

Black Duke
Provides 14 Brunswick Blacks Guards (max. 14) and 2 Drummers (max. 2) and allows them to be trained in the barracks
(The drummers are extremely helpful to the British, these drummers can compensate for the narrow grade, meaning 20% ​​more life for each infantry)

I hope you like these changes and maybe they will be implemented. It took me a lot of effort to write this, so I’d prefer not to discuss cards or units here, just age ups.

4 Likes

im not a fan of the changes you do to logisticians in general, and i think its fine it cost a little more, its suppose to be the greedy late-gameish focused option.

6 Likes

The lieutenant age ups are straight OP. 3 muskets on age up? Lol. Why not?

What about Asian civs? White Pagoda should at least make disciples as good as Spanish dogs, unlock snare (they are the only shock infantry unit in the game unable to snare) and give them a visual upgrade.

It would also be interesting if it buffed outlaw/mercenary units to synergize with disciple upgrades, obtainable only at the Monastery. This would also make the Age I Advanced Monastery card way more desirable.

1 Like

Are they? Aztecs can age up with 2 Skull Knights, and you lose 400Wood in exchange for 3 Muskets. I would always take 400Wood over 3 Musks.

I hope they make changes for the missing civs because for example Spain has some very bad age ups.

In my opinion, every civ should get a brand new unique Age Up option, and most of the old options should be improved - because they are old boring and not very practical.

Some civs like Germans, Swedes, Ottomans, Italians, Brits, and Spaniards could get more Age Up choices based on the nations that made up their empires.

2 Likes