Roman Swordsmen OP?

Not really. The power of swordsmen is in their costg and fast build time. You can simply keep them coning a lot faster and easier than all other iron units. At the same time they are easily dispatched by Centurions, Armored elephants and even Scythe Chariots will win in masses due to trample damage. All these units are, on the other hand, more expensive and also take longer to train, so you can still win with swordsmen. Also logitstics helps a lot. A 300 units swordsmen army is hard to take down with any army. Even siege and archers. But swordsmen are definitely not op. With Roman I would normally got for Scythe chariots.

@Lithen777 said:
It seems like Rome might be a little overpowered because I’ve seen their swordsmen (legions) take down other civ’s centurions 1v1. I’m I going crazy or should Rome have their swords bonus changed?

With civs, centurion is very superior to legion ?

@Augustusman said:

@Lithen777 said:
It seems like Rome might be a little overpowered because I’ve seen their swordsmen (legions) take down other civ’s centurions 1v1. I’m I going crazy or should Rome have their swords bonus changed?

With civs, centurion is very superior to legion

Yes, but at the same time you have to take into account that they cost a lot more to produce and have a much longer training time.

The way to test a post iron legion vs post iron hopolite is to give the AI the legion, lock it in your walls, and manually upgrade the age and storage pit.

Funny how a few people mention real Rome and the effect it has on their choices. I also went for the Romans because of the magnificent empire they created in real life.

The Roman legion attacks do 50% more damage over time, combined with the full storage pit upgrades makes them very strong against other units. Especially compared to Choson legions, which miss an armour, it makes them more vulnerable to the centurion - yes they still take as many hits or more due to their HP, but the longer the centurion is alive, the more damage it does, and with such high attack, even 2 strikes lands 50-70 damage.

@Otani64 said:
Funny how a few people mention real Rome and the effect it has on their choices. I also went for the Romans because of the magnificent empire they created in real life.

Roma Invicta, Aeterna Vixcrix.

LOL, Roman’s Legions are nothing to Heavy horse archers, War elephants, fully upgraded catapult or even Minoan’s Composite bowmen in stay in group. In fighting these enemies, Choson’s Legions might have a better chance of some sort.

If you are facing Heavy horse archers, War elephants, fully upgraded catapult or even Minoan’s Composite bowmen, that’s when Romans bring out the siege ;p

Another thing to consider is centurions are punished much more severely by priests (having a centurion get converted is much more painful than losing a legion to it). They will both get ripped by mass archers or siege so that’s a moot point. Priests are the back breaker here. However, you would generally not do well with any army composed entirely of 1 unit type anyways since there is a bit of paper-rock-scissors to AOE unit types. But generally speaking, a mass army of legions is more effective than an equal-cost army of centurions.

@Ensley03 said:
Another thing to consider is centurions are punished much more severely by priests (having a centurion get converted is much more painful than losing a legion to it). They will both get ripped by mass archers or siege so that’s a moot point. Priests are the back breaker here. However, you would generally not do well with any army composed entirely of 1 unit type anyways since there is a bit of paper-rock-scissors to AOE unit types. But generally speaking, a mass army of legions is more effective than an equal-cost army of centurions.

true