Romanian Revolution Rework

If you’ve ever tried the Romanian revolt you’ve probably noticed one thing…it’s garbage. With cards and units ranging from bad (Rosier dragoons, Dunabian Principalities), to terrible (Wallachian horse archers, Russian expeditionary army), it’s in quite a sad state. So, I suggest this rework.

First, let’s look at the basis of the revolt: The Romanian Revoltion is based on the 1821 Wallachian Uprising till the late 1800s and maybe early 1900s. In that period there was a large variety of troops we could pull from so I think it could be easily changed to be very fun. So, the changes–

Wallachian horse archer: Right now this unit gains 33% fire rate, 10% speed, and loses 33% hp that may feel like a good trade, BUT IT’S NOT. The fire rate is NOT as good as it sounds–the DPS is just at imp levels, which is way out of line compared to other revolutions. Death hussars are guard hussars with an extra 100% Attack! More than that of any Imperial hussar (except Maybe Unctions Spanish Hussars), and what is the downside to this? Nothing! In fact, you also get 7 of them with that revolt! Since it’s clear they’re bad here are my suggestions for its change: Cavalry archers become Wallacian Horse Archers, who move and fire quickly. (-0% hp, -20% ROF, +10% speed, enables flight archery). With this change, they’d be at not quite imp DPS, but would keep their Guard hp and they’d be able to hit and run (something they were known for). Ships 7 Wallachian Horse Archers.

Pandurs: Stay the same except the “pandours” card gets changed to “Vladimirescu’s Pandurs”, which ships 10 Pandurs and makes them slightly cheaper (-15%).

Călărași (new unit/card): Upgrades Cossacks to Călărași, which are imperial Cossacks with increased speed and ROF. (-15% ROF, +10% speed). Also enables you to train them (if you can’t). Prerequisite card “Unification”.

Roșiori (changed card/unit): Enables Roșiori, which are imperial Chevalegers with increased speed and ROF, (-10% ROF, +10% speed). Only available in the fort. Prerequisite card “Unification”.

Sacred Band (new): Ships 14 Sacred Band and enables 20 of them to be built.

Dunabian principalities can stay as is, I’d suggest it Autotech guard upgrades tho.

Border fortresses: Inf forts need to end so the change will be: ships 1 fort, 1 outpost and increases fort build limit by +3 (which is plenty).

Military Frontier: inf outposts also need to go so change will be: ships 4 outposts and upgrades frontier outposts. Doubles Outpost build limit and enables you to train Dorobants from them and makes them cheaper (80f).

Unification (new): costs 2000f, 2000w, 2000c (takes 3x time to send). Enables the “Călărași” and “Roșiori” cards to be shipped.

So overall the basic idea is you’ll start with a “scrappy” army of Dorobants and Good cav archers. And if you somehow get 2000f, 2000w, and 2000c, you’ll also have some good late-game abilities with fun units. Lemme know what y’all think!

4 Likes

I have to disagree with the premise of the post. The Romanian revolution is one of the best “all in” revolutions. Their flavor of revolutionary is incredibly tanky and will easily overwhelm even an imperial age army.

The whole point of the revo is to snowball with towers and forts and cards that spam units from them. It has no eco cards to make it viable outside of that and your rework takes away the snowball. It is essentially a nerf across the board.

What they could use is imperial upgrades for the phanar natives.

Justice 4 Romania !!!

1 Like

One of the best all in revolutions??? Compared to who??? Hungary has those same towers and much better cards. Chiles units are far superior and they have better follow-ups. Egpts 16 revolutinaires+1 Mam is one of the best cards in the game. Argentina has a ton of good cards and Grenederos snowball better than most units. Finland units can gather resources and their sustainability as Sweden is amazing While they’re also Guard Skrims. Some revolts might be worse at all-in but Romania is certainly not better then the other revolts Russia and Ottomans have access to. The extra 30 hp is good but they don’t really outshine any age 4+ army which other revolts with their better support units wouldn’t.

1 Like

I’d also point out that thematically there is no reason Romania should not have the same sustainability other revolts have considering they were ultimately successful, and fairly so.

1 Like

Hungry has objectively the worse cards of the two. 2 horse artillery is better than 3 falcs. The shared cards are obviously equivalent. The rosior dragoon is better than the hussar variant as it actually synergies with the rest of the composition available to the revo. Hungary focuses on outlaws and mercs which are harder to spam.

You seriously underestimate the Romanian allin push. It is better than Chile, Argentina or Brazil.

Egypt is a mix of allin and eco and it’s is more sustainable long term.

You do realize Magyar hussars are guard hussars with 100% hp upgrade? They’re literally fantastic and outclass rosier dragoons by leaps and bounds. Better than Chile? My brother, Chile Ships 7 imp hussar when you revolt and upgrades all hussars you already have.

2 Likes

What does senergizes with the revolution even mean??? Dragoons are a terrible pairing with musk type units.

1 Like

These hussars sound good on paper, but they are not as great as you think they are.

I think we’re dealing with a skill gap here. The rosior requires more micro to be effective. You can pair them with pandurs or hajducs or whatever skirmisher type unit you have.

And assuming that you are right, as I said, all you’re doing is nerf the revo with the proposals you came up with. The rosior can already be spammed from the fort, you only need 1 card not 2 as you suggested. You are capping the snowball card by nerfing the number of towers and forts you can get. The unification card is a huge nerf and has no real need to exist. There is no need for the imperial cossack variant, the boyar fills the same role.

“Spammed from the fort” with what eco? And even if you are able to spam them they’re still just guard goons who are a little faster, they’re simply not that great even if you micro well. And I added some things that would be buffs, cheaper pandours, sacred band shipments, boyars being guard automatically. Even frontier outposts or whatever it is would ship 4 AND make your revolutionaries cheaper. If you wanted access to earlier rosier dragoons then maybe you could just make it and the Cossacks imp upgrades be locked behind “unification”, but make them available otherwise via cards.

In my design you’d also have the Horse archer be actually good as well.
As for the hussars, bro, imo hussars are imp hussars. On paper and in game they’re great.

1 Like

Technically lionheart (who is more skilled in revs than both of you) ranks hungary higher… although they are together in C tier back on back

1 Like

This may not apply to the Romanian Revolution, but I just came up with an idea for the Hungarian Revolution. While we know that the Hungarian Revolution broke out in 1848, I think that, following the example of the French Revolution, we can add an “extra extension” - Austro-Hungarian Compromise. This option would only be available for the Hungarian Revolution in Germans Civ. This option would change the civilization’s name to Austria-Hungary and its flag. In addition, units would be available not only strictly Hungarian, but also based on numerous nations of Austria-Hungary - this way we would have access to the following units (trained as National Armies):

1. Hungarian Army - Magyar Hussar and Hungarian Grenadier
  2. Romanian Army - Dorobant and Roșior Dragoon
  3. Croatian Army - Shock Rider, Pandour and Crabat
  4. Bosnian Army - Hajduk, Bosniak and BRAND NEW UNIT Bosnian Infantry
  5. Bohemian Army - BRAND NEW UNITS Goroli (Carpathian highlander), Slovak Volunteer and Prague National Guard
  6. Galician Army - Uhlan + BRAND NEW UNIT some Ukrainian unit
  7. Tirol Army - BRAND NEW UNITS Tiroler Jaeger and Mountain Rifleman
  8. Austrian Army - Mounted Infantry and Line Infantry

The Army’s selection would be limited to two per game.

Base units: Grenzer, Dragoon, Landwehr and Artillery.

1 Like

Was this before or after the changes to Hungary?

That’s his feeling tbh, he brings no articulate arguments as to why Hungary is better. Romania has better synergy of the dragoon type with the various skirmishers that are available to it, and the HA shipment plays better with the high mobility theme of the civ, unlike the three falcs of Hungary. Romania plays a lot like Lakota but with cannons.

Romania only really needs imperial upgrade for the phanar natives, should probably be researched by default when that card is sent. I’d give both Hungary and Romania some mill card to better represent the agricultural way of life in the Eastern European plains.

What needs to go for both civs is the ships card, that’s pretty useless so late in the game.

There’s 0 reason to remove those cards. And I’m sorry, but the rosier dragoon is still absolutely not a “better pairing” with the various skirms Romania has, as those various skirm happen to be a shipment of pandours, a few hadjuks, or a veteran phanar dude whose stuck behind a card. And even if you somehow get some of those, what youre gonna have paired with them is what, 7 maybe 10 goons? You get 1 from each outpost, so usually it will be one per shipment, which is not the mass necessary for goons. Or you somehow already have a ton of outposts and you might get 6-7 from a shipment, which is pitiful for an age 4 shipment.

1 Like

What is a good pairing is the 15-25 Imperial hussars, which you can get quite quickly after revolting, and your musketeer units.

I actually have been working on a Hungary revolt as well with a reunification theme! These are some fun ideas.

Idk man, he pretty clearly says, that both revs suck and that both have terrible timing, but hungary a little less. So your original thesis of “romania has one of the best all-ins” doesnt hold much water according to (maybe) the most professional revolt player

1 Like

usually when top players don’t give specific reasons for why something sucks, its usually because it’s self evident

1 Like