RTS Tournaments

Okay, macro is strategy. Strategy is the goals you set for yourself in game. The goal of getting fast castle, or doing a Trush. The goal of setting up town centers to boom your way to overwhelming numbers.

The macro is even taking Mongols because of the hunt bonus and late game unique unit.

That’s all macro. How you do it is micro. All of it. Some things take more micro then others which is fair, because some thing are more important then others.

Using hotkeys and shift queues are a way of reducing the level of micro that is necessary. It doesn’t increase the amount of Macro or anything like that, because they aren’t opposites.

AQ is just another way of reducing the amount of unnecessary micro need to that achieve the macro you were hoping to accomplish.

1 Like

Welp, all that is needed is to spam H+Q. It’s not intensive enough to be hard to do, but since it’s there it’s enough to make a difference, for instance when your opponent overfocus on his military you can eventually come back from an initial crushing defeat. Autoqueue would make small advantages snowball that more easily.

1 Like

He’s basically saying the entire game is macro, which seems really silly.

cmonBruh No one plays in AoE2 DE tournaments. That’s why there is a constant stream of discord tournaments with 50+ players every month and every time people ask “when is the next tourney, I didn’t know about this one in time”
And that’s at the 1100-1600 DE level, not even mentioning the numerous pro tournaments that happen all the time.

5 Likes

I was only quoting Psychcaptain there.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s all that difficult to comprehend.

The Quartertothree forum used to host regular RTS tournaments and Comp stomps. The community came together on the game in question, and where given a whole host of options, including Age of Empires 2 HD. In every vote, Age of Empires 2 was passed on I’m favor of other games. The first time, it was Rise of Nations. The second time it was Offworld Trading, the third time it was some RTS game that followed a Rat around, which I totally bailed on, but others liked.

We’ve taken a break from RTS in favor of Multiplayer games and tournaments like Bloodbowl, Age of Wonders 3, and Dominions 5 (and a few others that I am not involved with) but some of us are thinking of resurrecting it for Company of Heroes 2, especially with the new balance patches that came down.

Sadly, Age of Empires 2 has never taken the crown because it is seen as too micro intensive. It misses a lot of the quality of life features that RTS games either have or don’t need. It always got a few votes, but consistently second or third place to other games (mostly Company of Heroes and Dawn of War).

I am a fan of RTS games, and I have played Age of Empires 2 since it came out, but the lack QoL improvements have been a big stumbling block to getting people interested in playing Age of Empires 2.

Why, are you the guy who receives the money from others buying it? Most of the new people into Aoe wait for Aoe4 to invest time I feel anyway

Actually edited my response instead of replying 11

Sure, that could be the response, but it’s not enough that people play Age of Empires. New people need to keep buying it as well.

“While you may be a heretic, RoN’s is about a week away from wrapping up and it’s definitely not in contention for the next game to get a tourney. I just picked it and forced it through to test out the format, with the idea that a future game could be picked via a more open method.”

Yup, clearly RoN winning the vote over AoE2…

Then the 2nd & 3rd tournaments are based off a single poll (and then a run off), so AoE2 lost a single vote, not 3.

In this poll, more people voted for AoE2 then they did for AoM, so the fact that less of the old boomers wanted to play the ‘less micro intensive game’ over the incredible button mashing of AoE2 doesn’t really support your argument that it makes the game more accessible imho.

4 Likes

You mean this one? It looks like Age of Empires scored 5th place with 30% of the vote (people could vote multiple times).

But it was close. Just not close enough.

But, I encourage people to check out Qt3. Hopefully we will put together a new causal RTS tournament.

yes that’s the one. AoE2 had more votes than AoM as I said

You are right, it did. I don’t think people where voting against AQ so much as poor reviews from the newest expansion, but I won’t deny that AoM is general less popular then AoE 2.

Of course, Offworld Trading Company cheated. The developer offered to play the winner of the tournament. And there was a humble bundle deal going on at the time.

Age of Empires 2 does a lot of things right. I mean, really right. You have some unique factions, but since every has the same tools, its not hard to learn the counters. You have interesting risks and perks that aging up come with, and a lot of ways to come back or stay on top. It’s a great game.

Totally. It’s not like Microsoft is putting 50.000 dollars in prices for a tournament this month, right? Right?

Auto farms made this happen 11

I don’t think you are responding to what you think you are responding to.

I mean, if the tournament prize was a determining factor in whether we should like playing a game, wouldn’t we all be playing Starcraft 2?

$700,000 dollars in the last tournament.

I don’t particularly like Starcraft 2, but dang, that is a chunk of change.

Company of Heroes 2 is putting together a $20,000 for their 2020 tournament prize pull. Which is good for them. It’s no Starcraft, but it was a pretty good tournament to watch last time.

Anyway, why is this important?

It isn’t important, but you brought this into the conversation yourself when you stated that a group of players didn’t want to play AoE2 instead of Company of Heroes or Offworld Trading Company. Those games have no bearing on AoE2, and certainly can’t be used as an argument or justification to add auto queue into AoE2.
You, yourself, stated that AoM has auto queue and is a great game and used that as a justification to add it to AoE2. You then incorrectly stated that a group of 30 people preferred AoM instead of AoE2, and further used this as “evidence” that AoE2 could benefit from an auto queue system as there’s one in AoM.

You are going in circles, making false assertions and then trying to turn it around on anyone who disagrees with you.

Yes, 30 people in a poll on another forum voted for other games ahead of AoE2 for a small internal tournament. Why is that important? It isn’t.
AoE2 is the most competitive and largest it’s ever been in history. There’s no good argument in this thread to make a case that auto-queue would enhance that.

2 Likes

Why are you replying to this? @OliveCereal4714 talked about the prize pool and Microsofts donation of 50,000.

If it’s not important, bring it up with @OliveCereal4714, not me. I got nothing to do with the prize pools. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

As for why example of why I brought my small, mostly casual tournament up, instead of talking about veterans and pro players, ranked games and the like, its because I think it’s important to bring in some examples of the types of people that are the usual target demographics of a game like Age of Empires 2, and arent all that into. It’s the type of people that aren’t the ‘true believers’ and don’t hang out in the game forum but still might buy or take part. They have hundreds of games on steam, but are will to reinstall something for a fun time.

It’s a counter example of the bubble that is the Age of Empires 2 DE forum. Everyone here is much more dedicated to Age of Empires then anyone at Qt3. You aren’t exactly representative of the larger audience for Age of Empires 2. Neither is Qt3, since they tend to be older then most gamers.

As for Age of Mythology, I never claimed that it was more popular in the voting then Age of Empires 2 in our tournament because it never was. Please, if you are going to call someone out for deceiving people, at least do a quick search of the thread to make sure your own claim is factual.

Now, here is something I did say.

Which is true, when we set up fun compstomp, 3 or 4 player games vs the AI, Age of Mythology was by far more popular then Age of Empires 2. You can’t argue with hydras, crabs, mummies and giant beetles for compstomping fun. If we could, I bet we would have played Rise of Legends, but sadly, you can’t buy that anywhere.

As you can see, I didn’t reference how popular Age of Mythology was in terms of the tournament.

Now, I realize that this has been a very long thread, and mistakes happen, but if you are going to claim deception, I would hope you would check your sources first. People read this stuff and assume you are being honest.

As to your remarks on why AQ is terrible and Age of Empires was more popular then Age of Mythology (by 1 vote) keep in mind what set off this discussion. It was about whether we could get infinite queues, like Rise of Nations, and I did say that Rise of Nations was the very first tournament we set up because there was some good amount conversation about it.

By the way, for the first round of voting. Company of Heroes had 4 more votes then Age of Empires 2, and pulled in 40% of the voters total. Not sure why @roboboroAoC said 1 vote, but perhaps I misunderstood that one.

Now, it really feels like we are going in cycles here and spinning our wheels. There isnt a lot of add.

By the way, @roboboroAoC, you should have stuck around the discord. We have a few fans of Hidden Cup 3 that wanted to thank you for your work.

1 Like

i dont really know how you make this assumptions. where did you exactly search for the people who are interested in aoe2 tournament? in your rise of nations community? OH NO JOKE! do you want me to ask who wants to play starcraft 2 tournament in aoe2 community and then use it as the evidence to show that its easier to gather people for aoe2 tournament than starcraft 2 tournament?
i get that you guys want a new feature in the game that you’ve already seen in other RTS games, but seriously at this point you are just making yourself look bad by giving wrong information and making up unrealistic conclusion
let me show you how many people are interested in aoe2 tournaments. and no, im not talking about the pro scene, cause im sure you already know how many tournaments and showmatches for pro players exists, and if you dont, then you really have no idea about aoe2 community
so let me show you some of the not much known names in aoe2 which are either small streamers or instagramers or youtubers, and all of them have their small community around them, and from time to time, they host a tournament for lower rated players
aoememes:
he is a instagramer who sometimes streams on twitch. these are the team game and 1vs1 tournaments he hosted on his discord and instagram:
https://challonge.com/aoememestgtournament
https://challonge.com/aoememestournament
https://challonge.com/q7g2c9er
https://challonge.com/lg7j6f0i
https://challonge.com/1i4rcgfd
https://challonge.com/joereadrulesplz

marvino:
he is a streamer and these are the tournaments he hosted. for his first tournament, he was aiming for a 8-10 players tournament, but the amount of sign ups were too high that he had to divide his tournament in 2 brackets of 32 players based on their rating, and also he had to cut off lots of players who wanted to participate simply because there was no slot left
MPC tier 1: Marvino's Plebino Cup Tier 1 - Challonge
MPC tier 2: Marvino's Plebino Cup Tier 2 - Challonge
and for his next tournament which he wanted to be small and fast, he ran a 1 month qualifier ( group stage based, not elimination stage based ) so all the players can play eachother and only the top 10 can qualify for the tournament
The Leggy Cup - Challonge

soltou:
she is a streamer, and she hosts tournaments, sometimes exclusive for her clanmates and sometimes for everyone. these are 2 of them
in one of her none-clan-exclusive tournament, she ran 4 different brackets based on the player’s voobly ratings
Rice Seed (1450-1600) - Rice Seed (1450-1600) - Challonge
Rice Sprout (1601-1750) - Rice Spout (1601-1750) - Challonge
Rice Flower (1751-1900) - Rice Flower (1751-1900) - Challonge
Rice Fruit (1901-2050) - Rice Fruit (1901-2050) - Challonge
and these are 2 tournaments hosted by her clan and exclusive for them
Anvil Hidden Cup 1 - Challonge
Anvil Hidden Cup II - Challonge

moonfaller:
probably the most known small streamer ( which these days we cant really call him SMALL streamer ) among the ones i mentioned. after about 3-5 months of streaming, he decided to host a small 8 player tournament named " king of the plebs ", but the amount of signups were so high that he had to increase the amount of players to 16. after finishing the first tournament, he continued to host the same tournament for 2 more times named " king of the plebs 2 " and " king of the plebs 3 ", both had 32 players each. in kotp3 he got so many extra signups and had to let them go but he promised the next kotp will be with 64 players
for some reason challonge removed the recording of kotp1 and kotp2, or maybe i cant find it
but here is the results of kotp3: King of the Plebs 3 - Challonge

and the funniest part is, almost all of the tournaments that i mentioned happened in Q2-Q4 of 2019 or early 2020 ON VOOBLY. yes on voobly, we didnt even have auto reseed farms or villager count on resources or other awesome QoL features which were introduced on DE there. but still lots of people were interested in participating in aoe2 tournaments. the people who were mostly low rated players who had a hard time luring a boar, not to mention keeping up with the so called " micro chores " that you are mentioning
there are lots of other tournaments that i wasnt able to find on challonge or im not even aware of, becuase i joined the aoe2 community in early 2019
even the pro players and casters host their own tournaments on their discord for lower rated players, mostly for helping them improve. for example tatoh and hera and daut, and also t90 which he doesnt orgnize the tournaments himself, but his admins do it for him
i’ve played rise of nations online before i even think about playing aoe2 online. i played it back in 2017-2018. there was barely a playerbase and we had to wait 20-30 min everytime that we wanted to start a team game. you either had to be so good in the game to be allowed to play in NO NOOB lobby which included 10-15 rotating players, and also you needed a confirmation by one of them to have a proof that you are not a noob otherwise you would get kicked, or you had to wait a crazy amount of time to get a game
so the fact that you think “tournament wise” rise of nations’s community is more alive than aoe2’s community, for any skill group, is just a sad joke

I am sorry, but you wrote a lot, but don’t seem to understand the context of the original comment.

I am interested in playing with friends and colleagues from my favorite forum. Even a non pro player that was dedicated AoE 2 player would find many players on the forum walk in the park, so joining some other scene would be… Not fun. We did rotations of RTS games, mostly geared towards games that didn’t have as low a floor as Age of Empires 2 does. Games like Rise of Nations and Offworld Trading Company.

As for those other scenes, again, as many of my friends are casual players of many different types of RTS games, those tournaments have no interest. People want to play and have a good time and have a winner that they know.

that is your original comment, you didnt mention anything about a specific friendly forum that isnt interested in playing aoe2 tournament. you talked about it in general, so i answered you in general too