Scenario Editor improvements

Scenario Editor has a lot of smaller issues especially when it comes to multiplayer scenarios and they said in the last Update that they were working on Scenario improvements so I made a small wish list:

1. Fix the bugs. I can’t even play Scenarios in multiplayer at all right now and I it crashes every second time I click on test. I assume those are already being worked on.
  2. Allow us to set civilisation as fixed or variable, the same with teams. In AoE2 DE you can choose for every player if they can choose a civilisation in the lobby or if they have to use a specific one. This way scenario designers have more control and it allows campaign civilisations.
  3. Give all units sound clips for all civilisations. Just use the existing file clips like giving the German Cavalry Archer and Dragoon the audio clips of the War Wagon.
  4. Give us a home city editor with full freedom. You can’t manually edit home city files because the checksum. There is no reason to restrict them in a scenario. Allow us to have French Age 4 cards as Inca in Age 3 because why not.
  5. UI improvements like searches for “set tech status” trigger. And help us find some technologies like how is the Culverins Royale tech called? All the Asian Dynasty units and techs starting with y are so annoying to scroll through because you can’t jump to a letter.
  6. The amount of ground textures in a level is limited. Give us some tools to work with that like being able to completely replace on texture everywhere in the map. Also show us somewhere how many we can still use and how much we used up.
  7. Maybe allow us to include some custom images in a map so we can replace flags or maybe some icons.
  8. Add all the units and technologies to the different version of the same building on different civilisations like the Indian and Japanese barracks are different buildings in code even though the have the same roles. Same is also true for war hut and corral.
  9. Give us control over the secondary building style. For example let use chose Mediterranean building style for the Indians instead of always forcing Easter style buildings European buildings for every none European civilisation. Also a way to get the bandit cavalry styles from the second WarChiefs campaign without having to play either of this bandit civilisations (might already be possible but I don’t know how).
16 Likes

Don’t forget the most important one… for the love of God fix the “modify protounit” effect. The scenario editor doesn’t exist without it in my opinion. The problem is that the majority of the functions within modify protounit are non-functional and also cannot take a negative number

3 Likes

Bug fixes are top priority of course.
This was thought as wish list of improvements. Mostly things that are relatively easy to implement but would make the life of map creators easier.

4 Likes

Are there any news of this? I think those are very good suggestions!

2 Likes

Yes, we would love the scenario editor to get some love so we can create fun content for AOE3!!! Custom campaigns and fun multiplayer modes, the community will make the content, we just need the tools.

Our dreams will stay meme´s i guess…
Scenario editor over all, was never a high point of creating.
They just added the search function for objects because they were to lazy themself to search for all the ■■■■.

Custom maps (and modding where possible) is the lifeblood of most RTS games. They are lucky they have some competitive scene otherwise it would be hard to take any game development they do seriously as long as the editor in an unusable state

1 Like

I wish the Editor had better Mulitplayer support.
There are a lot of triggers that don’t work in Multiplayer and just make the game crash.
Fans made custom versions of them for the old AoE3 but they haven’t been ported to AoE3DE as far as I know.
Also you have to know what triggers crash in Multiplayer because the game doesn’t tell you and it’s not the easiest thing to test because you have to go online for it.

It would be nice to know what Triggers (And “SP only” to the name) crash in Multiplayer. Giving us Mulitplayer versions like a move command that specifies a player would be very nice.

Also a way to set up things for Multiplayer like if players are allowed to choose a team or their civilisation or if its fixed.
I don’t think it’s possible to move between slots at the moment, so if you want someone else to be Player 1 they have to host.
Its like a lot of small things that would make making Mulitplayer scenarios so much better.
And I think Multiplayer scenarios are like the best thing an RTS can have.

2 Likes

I don’t see the benefit of a blind “objects list”! Please, add visual icons for list of proto units, and list of all techtree with icons and ID. This will greatly helping for scenaro-makers.

1 Like

Yeees. Please, the scenario editor is a bit of a joke. Also, disabled techs should vanish from buildings, not look the same as techs you can’t afford!

You can get around that by setting them in the, set tech status trigger to Unobtainable.

I wish you could add your own music files to scenarios, the triggers are there to do it but you can’t view any files. Anyone found a way?

cant you just write the path ?

I don’t know how I would start to be honest. Do you mean manually finding the correct folder to put tracks in? Because if that’s the case I am fairly sure there isn’t one.