Screen scrolling bug

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.45340.0 0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Microsoft Store
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The game keeps scrolling to the top from the start in some games. I have found nothing to stop the screen scrolling and have been forced to resign immediately in every game this bug has occurred. Previously I encountered this bug very sporadically, but the incidence has increased a lot after the latest update. I am forced to resign about 1 in 4 to 5 games due to this bug as of now.

The bug has never occurred during the first match after I started Age Of Empires; only after subsequent matches. Therefore, I assume the bug has something to do with a state captured at the end of a match that is wrongly transmitted to a new one, but of course this could be completely wrong. My current workaround is thus to restart the game after every match I play (but sometimes I forget and can resign immediately).

I am playing on a Dell XPS13 laptop. I am currently testing whether disabling my touchpad fixes the issue and will keep you updated. I have never encountered any such a bug during other games; it seems to be a very old legacy bug that already occured in the original AoK as I found some very old threads describing the exact same issue. (e.g. technical issues - Windows 7 & Age of Empires II: works but not quite? - Arqade)

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 25% of the time / matches I play (SOMETIMES)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a match
  2. Screen starts scrolling to the top immediately
  3. Resign

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

MP Replay v101.101.45340.0 @2021.02.19 225822 (8).aoe2record (852.9 KB)

Selecting the player Balfredo and enabling view lock will show the bug clearly.

Thank you for reviewing the issue. If you need more information, please let me know!

2 Likes

Same happens to me since a few days. When I start the first game (does not matter if skirmisch or ranked) 80% of times there is a scroll bug which makes impossible to play. It happens every game till I restart the pc, then it stops.

1 Like

Is anyone taking care of this? The game is actually unplayable, it happens every night

1 Like

Knowing Microsoft, it will probably be fixed within 45 years, if ever.

I do have important information about preventing the bug from happening though! It happens while switching between programs while having aoe2 open. To my knowledge, you do not have to have an ongoing game for the bug to take place! (If you switch programs while still in the menu and the bug is triggered, you will see it the second you start up a game).

So, here is my advice:

Never switch between programs while the game is open. Even an accidental click on your second screen can trigger the bug. If you switch between programs while in the menu, restart the game!

Devs, please still fix this as it’s a major inconvenience even if you know how to circumvent the bug.

1 Like

Thanks! I have another program (game) which starts automatically with windows. So everytime I open my AOE II DE game it will always be on at the same time. I have also tried to close it before running AOE but it happens anyways. Perhaps the best is me to disable automatic run of that game when switching the pc on and see how it goes. It never happened to me in a year before installing that. The problem (or solution, it depends) is that whether I switch off and then on again the pc, even with the other program in background, AOE works fine.
I have also wrote an email and they promptly answered me saying that my request has already been forwarded to the technical dept. Fingers crossed

I have exactly the same issue. I find that sometimes switching from the program to windows for a little bit then going back to the game seems to fix it temporarily. It is a nuisance.

Just happened to me too

I used to have this happen to me a lot on the older Age of Empires games, particularly when I was running under wine on Linux. I ended up tracking down the root cause (at least for the earlier games), and documented it here: davidgow.net: Fixing the Age of Empires Scrolling Bug

Note that wine has since added a workaround, so I haven’t seen it myself on the Definitive Edition version, but if the developers are looking for a possible cause of this, they should look into if the GetKeyboardState() function’s result is being interpreted correctly.

1 Like

When I get this bug, restarting the game does nothing. I have to restart my entire PC, and stream when I stream the game.

This is more than an easy workaround, this bug is bad and a nightmare while live. I have to restart my PC when I want to play Age 2 whenever I get it.

Please boycott all new Age content until the issues of the current games we already paid for are playable. The game is still barely playable for many. Money is the only thing they listen to.

Hi everyone,
sorry for the “late” reply, for proper investigation, could you upload a recent recorded game?
Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

1 Like