Sebastopol Mortars are Bugged or Need Buffing

Hi. Ethiopia main here. I don’t see any benefit in sending Sebastopol Mortars and I think they are so worthless that they are actually bugged. A few patches back their damage got nerfed (to 300 damage from 500) to prevent the 1 Sebastopol Mortar card in Age III from being OP, but their damage was supposed to return to normal (500) in Age IV. Instead, it just gets buffed by 25% which makes it a measly 375. Let’s compare the SM with other cannons below, and remember as they are an Age IV cannon technically, they are best compared to the Heavy Cannon.

Sebastopol Mortar- 375 attack (Age IV) (6 ROF) extremely slow, very expensive, can’t be made in factories, the infinite shipment card costs 600 influence (and a card) after the first send. It doesn’t even have more HP than the cannons below. Their siege attack range is 34 compared to a mortar with 40 and it has significantly less siege attack. 2 mortars costs 900 and 1 SM costs 1,000 influence. Why would anyone choose the SM?

Papal Bombard- 430 attack (7 ROF)- has Deflection (!!!) and with card, Holy Fire. This cannon is considered relatively weak from what I know so it being superior to the SM says something.

Heavy Cannon- 600 attack vs infantry (6 ROF)- free, can be made in factories, not too slow, very powerful (literally wins games). Same AOE (4) as an SM, same HP, higher speed. AND it’s affected by cards. The SM isn’t even affected by Italian Firearms.

Falconet (Age III)- 300 attack vs infantry (4 ROF). 2 of these costs 1,000 influence, the same as 1 SM. for 2 SMs I can make 4 Falconets and so on. Falconets that are not even upgraded to Field Guns are a better deal than the SM! After 20 seconds with a ROF of 4, a single Falc will do 1,500 damage. An SM will do 1,250 damage.

Field Gun- Higher attack than the SM, for half the cost.

Great Bombard- 500 attack (8 ROF)- a whopping 5 AOE, free, can be made in factories.

When the African Royals first came out, the AOE team made a tweet saying, “What is your favorite unit and why is it the Sebastopol Mortar?” This was my favorite unit, and yeah maybe it could be “lamed” in Age III, but why make it utterly worthless in age IV? It’s Ethiopia’s special unit much like the Great Bombard is to the Ottos or the Gatling Gun is to the Americans, and it absolutely needs to be fixed. I can almost hear people laughing behind their monitors as they focus fire by slow firing SM.

My proposal is simple; correct the Age IV damage to 500 base attack. Age III I don’t really care (although currently that Age III shipment is not even as good as 2 falconets but there’s a lot of things wrong with Ethiopia).

5 Likes

Yes they are hot garbage, especially for 8 population. Would be good if they got buffed for later game.

1 Like

When the change happened I reported it as a bug and a dev mentioned that the dps was returned to normal in age 4 not the damage itself.

The rof was buffed. Before the patch it had 8 rof but it got buffed to 6 rof so it’s age 4 dps is the same as before the change.

Personally I would like to see its building siege attack buffed by 100 damage so that it is comparable to an age 3 mortar. Currently it has worse siege than a 2 organ gun shipment.

1 Like

imo papal bombard is the worst, they are really slow, and yes, is ROF and damage is really bad for their pop space. At least Sebastopol is easy to micro. yeah, that art needs a little buff.

1 Like

As soon as mountain monasteries get a nerf too. An eaaily spammable building that gives resources, auras and have high HP is far from balanced.

It seems that we havent learnt anything from tepees and flags…

Also captured mortars shouldnt cost more population than euro mortars while having same stats.

Totally agree, mountain monasteries could reach 7000 hp, is ridicolous.

1 Like

The rof was buffed. Before the patch it had 8 rof but it got buffed to 6 rof so it’s age 4 dps is the same as before the change.

I think that dev was incorrect. Here are the very old (upon release of African Royals) Age III and IV stats for the mortar:
ROF 2

Here is the Age V stats:
ROF

It had 6 ROF, the same as now. Right now the mortar just feels super unimpactful. I would rather have had slower ROF anyway than nerfing direct damage. Before when a shell hit it was hilarious, now it feels horrible. The heavy cannon isn’t even a unique unit and it just does so much better in every way, with a ROF of 6 and absolutely massive damage.

imo papal bombard is the worst, they are really slow, and yes, is ROF and damage is really bad for their pop space. At least Sebastopol is easy to micro. yeah, that art needs a little buff.

The Sebastopol Mortar is so slow and bulky that it can’t run away from anything. Also, at least the Papal Bombard has deflection which is pretty good. The damage there is lackluster as well though!

And I complete forgot the Heavy Cannon is 7 pop and the SM is 8 pop!
Pathetic

This is ridiculous!

The dev was correct. The hotfix from the patch they were released in nerfed their rof to 8. https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe3de-update-38254/#

Okay the dev is correct, but the original point still stands that the mortar is ridiculously weak right now.

After 30 seconds of damage taking ROF and attack into account:
Unupgraded Falconet- 2,250
Heavy Cannon- 3,000
SM- 1,875

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with you I just wanted to make clear it is not a bug. I’d like to see it buffed in some capacity.

1 Like