Serbs, civilization concept

Ok let’s give me a try:

Cavalry armor free.
Infantry costs -20 % food, but doesn’t have supplies.
Monks created 50 % faster (actually a nice bonus)
Monks move 10 % faster (going even more in that direction)

Unique Techs
A) Infantry gets +2 / + 1 Pierce Armor
B) Light Cavalry Line 20 % cheaper

Get all the cavalry/infantry upgrades except Blast Furnace (and supplies).

UU Vlastela: 50 F 100 G
HP: 120, Attack 12, no Armor, 1.8 ROF 1.35 speed. Receives no bonus Damage. (TT of 18s could fit)

Elite Vlastela: (1000 F, 500 G upgrade cost)
HP: 160, Attack 14, no Armor, 1.8 ROF, 1.35 speed. Receives no bonus Damage.

This could be enough to make it a strong civ, even without an eco bonus. Cheaper infantry and free armor on cavs should be quite strong bonusses and the UU should make an ideal addition to their knight line, to fight off pikes and halbs without protection.

The civ would fall under the category “versatile” cause it would have answers to basically everything, but not having a simple goto strategy like franks, mayans or goths.

Would this fit for serbs?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what i’m pushing for, and most importantly that’s what’s historically accurate.

That’s pretty good actually, i will modify the post tomorrow.
Need to get some sleep :smiley: :sleeping:

Cheers!

But again, rhe unit just covers the same niches as the Boyars without beibg as good.

Yeah, but in my opinion, you just gave them bonuses of other civs…

Like, they have the magyar scout bonus, the teutons infantry bonus, the Korean/Turk bonus.

The mining bonus was good, and the unique monastery too could have been.

The problem is their early game. You need to find something for that.

1 Like

The old mining bonus was a bit too weak though so I inagine this was changed to make the early game stronger. I agree that the civ is in a bad state rn, but I wouldnt go with the ols bonus

No, the bonuses are different.

Teutons have +1 armor in Castle and +1 more in Imperial, both for Barracks and Stable units, which is not the same as +2 armor for Infantry, magyar and Korean and Turk bonuses are much different…

Doubling the mining tehnologies effect was too OP, so it was changed.
I couldn’t make anything up to make much sense with unique monastery that could be doable and
much useful, beside using monastery assets.

You are just making stuff up about similarity with other civs, there’s no need for that.

2 Likes

If by different you mean that magyars get a 15% discount, and serbs get a 25% discount, then I don’t have anything else to add…

The old bonuses weren’t neither OP nor bad, they weren’t just explored enough in my opinion, and they weren’t helped by other bonuses.

Like, the mining tech bonus was good, it just needs to lack the latter techs. That way, the civ would have a solid bonus for feudal and castle age, which could have been the focus of other bonuses. Like, having a cheaper monastery, with a gold bonus, could have been a solid monk rush. You could add a bonus like “supplies affects spears and skirms too” (maybe not making those FU for post imp) and you would have a solid feudal and castle age.

Like:

• Supplies affect skirms and spears.
  • The parohija cost just 50 wood, is built in half the time of a monastery, and train monsk at double the speed.
  • mining upgrades gives back double the effect.
  • redemption technology is free.

Then you add something else…

That way, you could do a trash into monks and siege rush, and then in late castle age transition into castle UU. In post imp, the UU and generic paladins would be your best option, supported by weak but cheap trash. Not too strong, but still enough, and in castle age you would be really strong.

2 Likes

You are right, sorry.
There are too many bonuses that others civs have, it is really hard to avoid them.

1 Like

I know, but there are tons of possibilities still. Don’t be discouraged, I’m sure you can find original bonuses, then a bit of overlapping with other civs is inevitable.

Look at my suggestion, and see if you can find something good there.

Its still too close imo. I woukd go with +1 melee on feudal and +1 pierce on castle age. +2 on feudal is also too much dince it makes your MAA tank villagers like crazy

I hope that Croatian and Serbian AoE 2 fans would be able to agree on a common civ if it was not possible to add Serbs civ and Croatians civ separately.

It is known that Croats and Serbs belong to completely different cultures - Croats are Catholics and their architecture corresponds to the Mediterranean architecture set and Serbs are Orthodox and their architecture should be the same as Byzantine civ and Bulgarians civ. For the creators to have an impulse to create a new Byzantine architecture set, this completely new civ would belong to him. A compromise joint Serbo-Croatian civ would have two Unique Units (one Serbian and one Croatian). Sample units:

• Hajduk (replacement for Hand Cannon - use Fitiljača) and Buzdovaner (heavy infantry with flanged mace) - Serbian Units
  • Kondura (Naval trash unit) and Rohatin (A warrior armed with Rohatyn) - Croatian Units

The shield of this civ could be a combination of the Croatian coat of arms with the Serbian coat of arms. Unique Technologies could be divided in such a way that one would refer directly to Serbia and the second would refer to Croatia. Potentially one of the UT would be Župan (Župan in Croatian, Жупан in Serbian - they sound very similar), who was a royal dignitary in the South Slavic states. This upgrade could apply to cavalry units.

2 Likes

Examples of what the shield of the Serbo-Croatian civ might look like:

obraz

Of course, the last potential shield refers too much to Yugoslavia, but it could be possible to create a coat of arms referring to Serbs, Croats and also Slovenes - the three main South Slavic nations.

2 Likes

I actually like the Idea of “combining” different cultures of the balkan to one civ.
It is just important to keep the destinct cultural characteristics and don’t mix them. Like the castle could be croatian and the wonder/monastery serbian.
Then 2 different UUs, one cavalry and one infantry, one serbian and one croatian and so on…

That would be an interesting new concept. Not that I don’t think, each of these cultures wouldn’t deserve a unique civ - but I think that in terms of learnig more about the similarities and distinctions of the different cultures in a region that was for too long time oppressed by foreign powers.

And also because there are so many different cultures there, we would need like 5-8 new civs cause if we don’t include specific ones but others of that region they would be upset for good reason.
Better try to find 2-3 that can be put together in 1 civ, like poland * lithuania should have been one civ or teutons are one civ instead of like 5 different.

idk if serbs and croats are a good pairing. TBH i don’t know much about the specific differences and similarities of these cultures. I just know they have a lot of both…

2 Likes

You have already mixed them by giving a wonder from one people and castle from another.This is a worse Indian civi where you are representing mugal india with tech tree buildings with northern architecture and wonder from south india.

That checkerboard symbol is medieval Serbian symbol from the middle ages that Croatians adopted.

Under that symbol, Croatians committed the crime of genocide of Serbs, Roma and Jews, from 1941 to 1945, in the number of about 1,700,000 Serbs and tens of thousands of Roma and Jews, killing even the youngest children in the most gruesome ways. Not to mention the 90s, and 250,000 Serbian refugee’s from Croatia, and terrible crimes and tortures that happened against Serbs.

The thing is that Serbs do not want to see that checkerboard near their symbols, it brings back terrible memories and, that’s simple not right thing to do.

Also, Croatians have nothing to contribute to combined civ, because they do not have any words referring to their medieval history, they can only use stolen Serbian words.

I just want to see Serbian civ, the combined faction is all right if that isn’t possible, but without the checkerboard.

1 Like

With India you are right. But the Idea would be to tell the story of the different cultures in the campaigns, so it doesn’t “confuses” them.
But ofc, each of these cultures would deserve to have his own civ. I just don’t know how you could make a balkan expansion with less than 5 civs otherwise.

1 Like

Simple you choose the biggest strongest or most influential civi and add.Croates were under the hungarians so serbs are the best candidate.

And then you lose a lot of aoe2 players from croatia, bosnia, montenegro, albania…

Bad Idea.

Thing is, IMO they should try to sit together and come up with maximum 3 civs they want to be included. Otherwise I see no chance for any balkan civ because of the implications it would pose because of the history of these countries. I can’t see any expansion with more than 3 civs and pretty sure if they will add any balkan civ they will make sure to have he whole balkan in that expansion.

So all of these should ask themselves with who else they could form a civ together. Serbs maybe with bosnia? croats with slowenians? albans with mazedonians and montenegro? Don’t know if these are better pairings, cause basically all of them had problems with each other in history.

But I see at least a little chance that people are willing to find some similarities instead of differences. That would be the approach i’d like to see. And if they find a solution, maybe FE would be interested in a balkan expansion. At least I would like it.

I definitely agree with 2 out of 3 expansions focusing on Eastern Europe (3/3 on Europe too), give me something else.

Even OP struggles to make them unique which is a sign that the devs should focus definitely elsewhere. Give me some Eagle Warrior, Steppe Lance and Battle Elephant civs.

1 Like

Are they playing the game now without any representation of themselves or are they going to wait till they are represented to play?
If they are playing now adding one nation will not be an issue.if they are not playing then people from serbia will start to play as they are represented now.