Serjeant pathfinding/agro bug when placing donjon

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.44725.0 6115729
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
Upon placing a new Donjon with the unit Serjeant, very often he would prioritize attacking a nearby enemy entity rather than constructing the building. Essentially he prioritizes his military behavior and overrides the user input. I have uploaded an unlisted youtube video where this issue can be observed. The bug is reproduced easier with a larger army of Serjeants rather than a few units.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Mass up Serjeants
  2. Keep placing donjon foundations near enemy buildings or units
  3. Serjeants act as if you clicked right click on a nearby enemy unit or building instead of building the donjon

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

When you click to create a Donjon, the Serjeant should prioritize constructing the building over attacking nearby units and move on to construct the Donjon.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

Mega Trush - YouTube at the 0:18 mark, I click to place the third donjon with a selection of the units and instead of going there, they attack the market.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

The bug is also reproduced midway trough the game. The recorded youtube clip happens near the very end.

1 Like

I’ve run into this bug too. It also messes with shift queueing donjons because of the agro

1 Like

Serjeants seem to have bad pathfinding in general.

1 Like

Does it help if you use stand ground stance? That’s expected behavior for aggressive stance

1 Like

If you have any other unit (lets say champion) at aggressive stance, and you have nearby 2 enemy units; Your champion, if idle, would attack the nearest enemy unit.

However, if you right click the further away enemy unit, and order your champion to attack them, the champion won’t just randomly decide to attack the unit more near to him. The champion will follow your orders.

I think it’s a bug because the stance behavior overrides orders given to your unit.

As if there’s a hidden state change for when you order Serjants to place a building, for a brief moment of time they are idle and so they decide to attack what is nearby. If this were expected behavior I think it would work like this 100% of the time rather than roughly 50% as I note in my original post.

I have not experimented with stance changing, but my friend tells me they behave as you would expect when on stand ground. Will have to confirm later myself

That’s actually a behavior they changed since the beginning of DE.
In your scenario, if there are 3 opposing units, and you target the farthest one, they’ll get distracted by the closer (middle) one on the way. That’s why you end up needing to spam click.
Try raiding with scouts at an enemy wood line in aggressive stance. If you target specific villagers, they’ll get distracted by others closer on the way.

Watch the minute starting from this time stamp (3:14:38); Hera explains this, and why you need to use stand ground for melee units to target specific enemy units:

(3:14:38)

after starting construction:

A little time after they do this: