Server Maintenance - Wednesday, January 26th- I, II, III DE, and IV

WHAT : Server Maintenance (Multiplayer Servers)

WHEN: 2022-01-26T22:00:00Z

EST. DOWNTIME: 1-2 HOURS

GAMES & PLATFORMS:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (Steam / Microsoft Store)
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (Steam / Microsoft Store)
Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (Steam / Microsoft Store)
Age of Empires IV (Steam / Microsoft Store)

OBJECTIVES:

Routine server maintenance; no player-facing changes.

DETAILS:

This coming Wednesday, January 26th , the platform team will be taking the multiplayer servers down for regular maintenance. Please note:

• Online matchmaking will be disabled exactly one hour before the maintenance window to prevent disruption to newly-formed matches.
  • Any matches still in progress at the start of the maintenance window will be disrupted when the servers are taken offline.
  • DURING THE MAINTENANCE WINDOW, YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO LAUNCH THE GAME, BUT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MATCHMAKE OR ACCESS ANY ONLINE FEATURES.

To prevent any interruptions, we recommend wrapping up any games at least 10 minutes before the maintenance window. The downtime is expected to last between 1 and 2 hours . You can watch this thread for any changes to the schedule as they arise, as well as the all-clear when the maintenance is complete.

Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

A reminder to everyone that the multiplayer services will be unavailable for around 1-2 hours starting 2022-01-26T22:00:00Z as they undergo routine maintenance. Please check the schedule above and plan ahead to prevent the down-time from disrupting your matches!

A reminder to everyone that the multiplayer services will be unavailable for around 1-2 hours starting in 1 hour 2022-01-26T22:00:00Z as they undergo routine maintenance.

Server maintenance is kicking off now! Apologies for the disruption. Updates will be posted in this thread!

Some improvements on user feedback in relation to server status would be very welcome.
A user now has to find out externally (forum / social media), and not within the client that the server is down.

Before he gets on this forum, the user has no idea why the UI is not working correctly.
Things I noticed

• Profile badge not loading
  • Share history toggle not working

I didn’t get to the matchmaking yet, feeling like things were a little off.
Wanting to report these bugs, I landed here, reading there is a ongoing maintenance.
Which was a clear explanation due to why these features were functioning weird.

Why don’t we just get a prompt, telling us the server is down for maintenance?
Disable some buttons so we know Multiplayer is temporarily unavailable?

Thank you so much for the great game, I only mean to provide constructive criticism.
Good luck on the maintenance!

Ps. When starting the game, a short notification popup shows, for about 3 seconds.
The message is gone before I was able to read it, hidden in the notifications now is a “Account sign in failed” message. Perhaps these type of messages should come with an “OK” Button so you atleast force the user to acknowledge the message.

5 Likes

Agree completely with the above. Just to add to why this is so important:

When users search the error message trying to find why they can’t connect, they get many 3rd party sites stating they should download updates, reinstall, update drivers etc.

This effectively means if the maintenance is not being communicated via the game itself or the error message is throws, then users are needlessly modifying their game/system which may actually in itself lead to bugs.

I appreciate the great game you have built - it’s great. For me this is something that really should be sorted as a matter of urgency because not every user is advanced and not everyone knows where to look.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Agree with above. It took me some time to find out what was going on.
It is indeed better to notify about maintenance in the game and also notify when it is completed.

Can we get a status update? When is it expected to be completed?

1 Like

Have to agree, I’m kind’a new’ish (picked up AoE 4 recently, not played the others for over a year) but I saw the error, thought something was wrong with my network, DuckDuckGo’d the error code, got shown a forum post about it and a maintaince link for last year.

Any ETA on the maintenance? I just bought the game today and, lucky me, launched it for the first time minutes after maintenance started

1 Like

Hello Good afternoon, when trying to log in to the game it gives the error c00t01r-1x16, is it normal? Greetings

Its the reason this post exists :wink:

A client side message indicating servers are down for maintenance should always be in place. If you are not active via forums, then people are unaware and will start troubleshooting other problems first. Been there, done that. Also, your team should target the 5am ET for maintenance upgrades to keep servers up during higher traffic times.

If you click the notifications icon on your screen, you can re-read those fast disappearing messages.

Hmmm. Maintenance will begin at 5pm ET and should last 1-2 hours. So 5 plus 2 is approx 7pm ET. Amazing if you actually read their posted information before commenting. :slight_smile: Cheers.

Thanks for the callout! I’ll bring it up to the team and will get this fixed for next time.

Server Maintenance COMPLETE! If you experience any NEW issues as a result of the maintenance, please post them to this thread. If you cannot connect, please reach out to our Support team so they can work with you to investigate! https://support.ageofempires.com

Enjoy your games!

1 Like

New map pool has reverted to last months maps.

I have an issue. The new map pool just reverted to the previous one. It ticked over for me last night into the current one, but now it has gone back.

Same as TheConqueror753.

Briefly saw the new map pool last night, but I’m now back on the old one.

1-2 hrs started at 5 EST

Thank you so much for the swift response, hopefully the next maintenance won’t be such a surprise!
I really appreciate all the work you guys do. I am currently testing ranked and I see many new improvements in this version.

Keep up the good work!