Ship combat in AoE IV

I hope AoE IV has more navy combat.

What would you prefer: ships modeled similar to AoE I and II, or like those in AoE III - much more powerful but with small build limits

I personally like the AoE III ships but with the option to add higher build limits, like 10 - 20 instead of just a few.

And add the option to ram / board enemy ships! Each ship could have a limited number of “crew” that could board other ships and capture them. Go to the dock to replenish them

Naval combat is one of the few areas where they really need to improve a lot indeed

Oh yes, taking over enemy ships by boarding them is something i really want to see too.

I have seen this implemented nicely in one of my beloved RTS, “Ancient Wars Sparta” and its expansion “Fate of Hellas”, where you could actually man your own ships with soldiers, seen them on their decks, board enemies, as well as watch the fighting on the decks for the ship’s control.

The feeling when you manage to kill everyone on the enemy deck and add the ship to your own fleet is just great.

Now that i think about it, this game was an RTS with some nice innovations. You could man in the same way siege machines, animals, chariots, yours or even your enemies (after killing its crew). Gather fallen weapons from corpses to arm your soldiers individually or create your own weapons and armors, so many nice things.
And all with very satisfying graphics. Not that it didn’t have its own issues of course.

I put a few sample images below

To be honest, this game @UrbanizedGem684 wasn’t that good. It was average, but i am glad you like it.

@NormChanger said:
To be honest, this game @UrbanizedGem684 wasn’t that good. It was average, but i am glad you like it.

Well, I am a simple man, i see Greeks, i see Persians, i see red capes, blood and good graphics. I like. :smiley:

PS: Plus the Spartan armors are more accurate than in any other game that i have seen.

@UrbanizedGem684 that game was fatal…
Even the game isn’t accurate at all.
Those inaccurate buildings, some units, the game is like 300.
Some Warcraft style. Gore, map circular and excessive micromanagement even to cavalry units.
Ships have real frustrating game play.
I prefer Rise and Fall CAW.
Made from Stainless Steel Studio.(Empire Earth).

@Teutonic_knight said:
I hope AoE IV has more navy combat.

What would you prefer: ships modeled similar to AoE I and II, or like those in AoE III - much more powerful but with small build limits

I personally like the AoE III ships but with the option to add higher build limits, like 10 - 20 instead of just a few.

And add the option to ram / board enemy ships! Each ship could have a limited number of “crew” that could board other ships and capture them. Go to the dock to replenish them

I really like your point of view.

You should Watch this:

@Augustusman said:
@UrbanizedGem684 that game was fatal…
Even the game isn’t accurate at all.
Those inaccurate buildings, some units, the game is like 300.
Some Warcraft style. Gore, map circular and excessive micromanagement even to cavalry units.
Ships have real frustrating game play.
I prefer Rise and Fall CAW.
Made from Stainless Steel Studio.(Empire Earth).
http://fotos.trucoteca.com/fotos/8186/rise--fall-civilizations-at-war-1.jpg

It was a great game.

You can’t really expect accuracy in buildings tho.
The spartan armors were quite accurate compared to what i have seen in similar games, they are based on actual data plus with some fiction to make them more interesting for the game’s shake, definitely nothing to do with 300 fantasy. I also dislike seeing armies of cloned soldiers that most other games have.

I must admit tho that we tend to idealize some things of the past, especially if they are associated with good memories or our childhood in general, video games are no exception.

I think this might be one reason that a group of people are no longer satisfied with the RTS genre. It is an age group that lived the genre’s debut during their childhood (1990-200?) and inevitably compare new games with idealized models of the past.
There was no past back then to compare anything new with. Developers didn’t suddenly become useless. I bet Aoe4 won’t satisfy some people for the same reason, unless Relic seeks advice from analysts of crowd psychology too.
my humble opinion.

@UrbanizedGem684 said:
You can’t really expect accuracy in buildings tho.
The spartan armors were quite accurate compared to what i have seen in similar games, they are based on actual data plus with some fiction to make them more interesting for the game’s shake, definitely nothing to do with 300 fantasy. I also dislike seeing armies of cloned soldiers that most other games have.

I must admit tho that we tend to idealize some things of the past, especially if they are associated with good memories or our childhood in general, video games are no exception.

I think this might be one reason that a group of people are no longer satisfied with the RTS genre. It is an age group that lived the genre’s debut during their childhood (1990-200?) and inevitably compare new games with idealized models of the past.
There was no past back then to compare anything new with. Developers didn’t suddenly become useless. I bet Aoe4 won’t satisfy some people for the same reason, unless Relic seeks advice from analysts of crowd psychology too.
my humble opinion.

Persian looks phantasy… and style of art called orientalist, you use some cliché from. Others timeframe for represent persian Achaemenid.

Buildings take example 0 A.D even fantasy game called Titan Quest have better accuracy.
https://play0ad.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SpartanTown-1-500x281.jpg![](/uploads/editor/l4/dz7dfs3p0e65.png “”)

@Augustusman
You are not paying attention … i didn’t mention the persians or the egyptians.

Also those buildings you posted are still fictitious and based on crude assumptions. There is no clear image of how spartan buildings looked like. Games are a piece of entertainment, expecting ‘accuracy’ even in buildings would most probably end up a boring and ugly outcome.

I doubt accuracy is really your concern, you already showed interest in games with cloned soldiers, there is no more inaccurate feature for ancient or medieval armies than that.

I tried 0 AD since its prealpha there is not a single original gameplay feature in there. Bored to death.

@UrbanizedGem684 said:

my humble opinion.

You cant deny the fact RTS games today got dumbed down severely, reasons are wider more casual audiences or consoles exposures. I dont fully agree with the idealized models of the past. Had it been that way games like AoE2 wouldnt have so many completely new players on regular basis, they would just stick with todays dumbed down RTS’es.
Launching with just 1 game mode and 3 or 4 maps? Come on, RTS today are really bad.

Games are a piece of entertainment, expecting ‘accuracy’ even in buildings would most probably end up a boring and ugly outcome.
Yes indeed…(sarcasm)

That’s why Total war failed long ago… oh no.
Back to the game play, its better Rise&Fall Civilization at War. Better ship ramming and take down.
This Spartan War nations was bad. Very bad nice ideas poorly executed.

I’m not expecting 0 A.D be original, same with Empires Apart.
Have their player base, this other… is almost dead. The last day I give an opportunity to Fate of Hellas…
Simply exaggerating mechanic… just boring like EE3 but less bugs.

Here a good game play, was hard found one.

@IamDalv said:

@UrbanizedGem684 said:

my humble opinion.

You cant deny the fact RTS games today got dumbed down severely, reasons are wider more casual audiences or consoles exposures. I dont fully agree with the idealized models of the past. Had it been that way games like AoE2 wouldnt have so many completely new players on regular basis, they would just stick with todays dumbed down RTS’es.
Launching with just 1 game mode and 3 or 4 maps? Come on, RTS today are really bad.

I can see your point, that’s why i said this might be one reason. The whole picture must be a combination of many things, but i can’t exclude this factor either.
I have seen it to many people and friends of mine, sticking to old models and being always negative or too critical to anything new that comes out, becomes troubling after some point.
Will be very interesting to see the reaction to aoe4 from the old fans.

@Augustusman said:
Very bad nice ideas poorly executed.
Definitely better executed than your sarcasm :smiley: .

PS: This forum is so weird, i post things that are never shown and have to be posted again. Where and when can i see if a comment has been approved or not until i decide to write again?!?

@Augustusman said:
Very bad nice ideas poorly executed.
Definitely better executed than your sarcasm :smiley: .

No the game feels incomplete, the ideas were great but their base is Warcraft 3 + AoE(little bit)
With excessive micro. Poorly economy, no commerce. Some bugs, few maps.

Warcraft mostly, almost rip off basic mechanic and concept.