Should AoE:DE support multiple operating systems AND distributors?

Please reply with:

“Strongly Agree” or “Agree” or “Neutral” or “Disagree” or “Strongly Disagree”

To indicate your preference on the topic question.

You can set up a post like a survey, fyi.

Neutral.

Agree on operating systems

Neutral on Distributors

Strongly agree

Strongly disagree

Instead of a poll answer, I will simply state that the game would be better served supporting at least Windows 7/8/8.1. I can see the argument for Macs as well, though many Mac systems nowadays have access to a Windows experience, so it may not be necessary. I also think the game needs to be made available via Steam and playable with Steam friends, as this is a PC game and needs to be treated as such. Though keyboard support has been rumoured, from what I’m reading, for Xbox (and might mark the reason it’s exclusive to play with Xbox players), I don’t think Xbox players would play this kind of game on a console. Put this in Steam.

People will want some competition. I don’t imagine having any competition versus a xbox player. Of course I will win, they cant stand a chance without a mouse. Leaving that to be, WE need the game on Steam. I might as well refuse to buy it on xbox live platform simply because its just a forced marketing error. I get it, they try to push their own product, but on the other hand the whole AOE family + AOM cousins are on STEAM. AOE DE is going to be a sad kid left alone on a dying platform which people already started to refuse to take part on it. Everyone wants the game, they should simply launch it on different platforms and cross platform it. Xbox live is bad marketing with a bad name for a pc user.

@“Hersir Aegeen” said:
People will want some competition. I don’t imagine having any competition versus a xbox player. Of course I will win, they cant stand a chance without a mouse. Leaving that to be, WE need the game on Steam. I might as well refuse to buy it on xbox live platform simply because its just a forced marketing error. I get it, they try to push their own product, but on the other hand the whole AOE family + AOM cousins are on STEAM. AOE DE is going to be a sad kid left alone on a dying platform which people already started to refuse to take part on it. Everyone wants the game, they should simply launch it on different platforms and cross platform it. Xbox live is bad marketing with a bad name for a pc user.

I agree with the console part - hence why PC players cant play against xbox players on Halo Wars 2.
On the fact its not on steam it doesn’t have to be… Why should it? just becuase AoE2/3 and AoM is on steam doesn’t mean this HAS to be.
Personally I would prefer it not to be on steam because of Valve however, it would be good as more players would have access.
Either way if you’re not going to buy it purely based on the fact its not on steam then you may as well just leave. Microsoft want to expand their Windows store / windows 10 gaming platform and exclusives are the way to go.

Neutral

Agree

@“Sky Maniac” said:

@“Hersir Aegeen” said:

I agree with the console part - hence why PC players cant play against xbox players on Halo Wars 2.
On the fact its not on steam it doesn’t have to be… Why should it? just becuase AoE2/3 and AoM is on steam doesn’t mean this HAS to be.
Personally I would prefer it not to be on steam because of Valve however, it would be good as more players would have access.
Either way if you’re not going to buy it purely based on the fact its not on steam then you may as well just leave. Microsoft want to expand their Windows store / windows 10 gaming platform and exclusives are the way to go.

What’s wrong with Valve?

My opinion is purely based on the marketing part. Steam will bring a lot more potential players than any other platform, workshop + packs possibilities. I haven’t stated that i am not going to buy it, but its a huge drawback for the game this way. You either pay a ton of money on advertisement to promote the game as much as possible to reach the static promotion it gets by simply being on steam. It HAS to be on steam. I’ve been a user on steam for longer than 5 years and I had no problem with them. Im curious whats your problem with steam.

On the other hand, how many really and honestly care about microsoft platform? surely very few people do! it has no power on the market, especially after giving up on the old AOE games, and the aoe online game.

If youre one of those sinking in the SP part of the game and ignoring the MP, then I can see your point. I’m mostly focused on the MP and therefore I am asking for a platform that constantly can generate a large numbers of players without any necessary need of constant advertisement.

@“Hersir Aegeen” said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

@“Hersir Aegeen” said:

What’s wrong with Valve?

My opinion is purely based on the marketing part. Steam will bring a lot more potential players than any other platform, workshop + packs possibilities. I haven’t stated that i am not going to buy it, but its a huge drawback for the game this way. You either pay a ton of money on advertisement to promote the game as much as possible to reach the static promotion it gets by simply being on steam. It HAS to be on steam. I’ve been a user on steam for longer than 5 years and I had no problem with them. Im curious whats your problem with steam.

On the other hand, how many really and honestly care about microsoft platform? surely very few people do! it has no power on the market, especially after giving up on the old AOE games, and the aoe online game.

If youre one of those sinking in the SP part of the game and ignoring the MP, then I can see your point. I’m mostly focused on the MP and therefore I am asking for a platform that constantly can generate a large numbers of players without any necessary need of constant advertisement.

I completely agree with your point on having it on steam will mean more people for MP.
and I dislike valve because they are the greediest gaming company in the world.

just FYI i’ve been a member of steam for 8 years and still use it for various games, my problem is people who will say they wont buy it JUST because its not on steam…
it’s not like the game quality is going to be so much worse, the only thing it “may” affect is MP but we will have to wait and see.

@“Sky Maniac” said:
I completely agree with your point on having it on steam will mean more people for MP.

This is mostly if no completely unimportant for me. I don’t play Multiplayer at all, people just tend to ruin atmosphere and mood of any game. “I spawned 10 archery ranges to rush you with millions of troops lol” - yes, thank you - I am out at this point.
For me, a game is about having fun. Having someone play the game as it is a sport and winning is the goal and tries this by spamming and don’t at least try to make his settlement look nice … no thank you. No fun for me.

it’s not like the game quality is going to be so much worse, the only thing it “may” affect is MP but we will have to wait and see.
Another mis-conception of you, at least from my point of view. Most important part about a game being on steam (given it is properly integrated)? Mods. Most games become very boring after a year, some earlier, some later. Having the possibility of having a constant stream of free mini-DLCs - some often very creative and high quality - is going so far in prolonging the time / fun you can have with any game.
Even if it is only small things like custom scenarios.

Have a look at AoE2 HDs workshop. The amount of mods that change graphics, units, game mechanics etc. is staggering. Some are very subtle, others make something completely new out of the base game.

Of course you can argue, Microsoft could be doing something similar for Windows Store. But looking at Microsofts stance in the past about mods… not going to happen. Theirs is a mentality of “but the finished product and be happy with it. Period.”

Which is just not my style.

At the very least I expect to very soon see ripped graphics from AoE DE and a AoEII HD mod that emulates AoE with them, or something like that. : )

Strongly agree.

@Cassius_Cipius said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

This is mostly if no completely unimportant for me. I don’t play Multiplayer at all, people just tend to ruin atmosphere and mood of any game. “I spawned 10 archery ranges to rush you with millions of troops lol” - yes, thank you - I am out at this point.
For me, a game is about having fun. Having someone play the game as it is a sport and winning is the goal and tries this by spamming and don’t at least try to make his settlement look nice … no thank you. No fun for me.

Another mis-conception of you, at least from my point of view. Most important part about a game being on steam (given it is properly integrated)? Mods. Most games become very boring after a year, some earlier, some later. Having the possibility of having a constant stream of free mini-DLCs - some often very creative and high quality - is going so far in prolonging the time / fun you can have with any game.
Even if it is only small things like custom scenarios.

Have a look at AoE2 HDs workshop. The amount of mods that change graphics, units, game mechanics etc. is staggering. Some are very subtle, others make something completely new out of the base game.

Of course you can argue, Microsoft could be doing something similar for Windows Store. But looking at Microsofts stance in the past about mods… not going to happen. Theirs is a mentality of “but the finished product and be happy with it. Period.”

Which is just not my style.

At the very least I expect to very soon see ripped graphics from AoE DE and a AoEII HD mod that emulates AoE with them, or something like that. : )

I will mainly play SP over MP, i was just stating that everyone knows that steam would bring the players for the MP.

and

mods are purely a subjective matter, some are good, some not so good.
IMO mods make no impact on making a game good or not, so for me its no reason to have it on steam.

I know a lot of people like mods - it’s one of the reasons why PC gamers think the PC is the master race :wink:
but I’m sure mods will still be available - just not with the ease of the steam workshop, you’ll have to do it old school.