Should Byzantine's knight line be affected by logistica (trample damage only)?

Bloodlines did not exist when the Romans were designed, and their tree is simply not designed to work with it around in the game. On the other hand, they have always had Paladins and Heavy Camels. I will note that someone was on to something by pointing out that they could neither go Halb/SO, nor Halb/Scorpion in team games.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning the HCA, as that would be a big buff.

Ok, I guess I would need to test the new mod to see how Byzantine Paladins do with trample damage.

But keep in mind that these Paladins with trample damage would attack supported by ultra cheap FU Skirmishers to counter pikemen (Franks don’t get strong Skirms), or even FU arbalesters (again Franks need plenty of castles to spam Axemen).

Also, the game has been carefully designed, such that even Frankish Paladins get overwhelmed by Halbeldiers… or that at least Frankish players end up bankrupted by trading units badly if they aren’t careful. Trample damage could weaken the ability of Halberdiers to overwhelm Paladins, and that can be an instant GG. That’s what I mean to say, it can be a real game changer… not against other Paladins, but while raiding.

sounds more like you want them to be a “Do everything” civ to me.
fully upgraded arbs.
fully upgraded stable besides blast furnace
cheap counters.
strong buildings.
decent siege.

5 Likes

5 trample damage is no joke tho

I guess the Siege Rams with Bombard Cannons is nice, but their anti-unit siege is lacking overall. You can snipe with cannons, but not so well without Siege Engineers.

No, they should not. There is no reason to buff Byzantines, Byzantines are fun the way they are, and there is no reason to make yet another civ strong with the Knight line.

thats why i said decent instead of good. they have siege ram and BBC at least. still better siege tehn say Franks or Lithuanians or goths.

I guess I am in an interesting spot in this thread, specifically because I consider them an excellent Paladin civilization, even if I do not consider them to have great Paladins. They are quite good at building both large, and correctly designed forces to counter moves by their opposition, with their Paladins being one option to bat cleanup.

then make it 3? or 4? surely a compromise can be found fora paladin that lacks bloodlines and blast funnance and a civ that desperately needs a power unit for teamgames besides catas.

The civ has FU arbs. They do fine enough.

Either way, if you want to buff them somewhere give them SE

1 Like

just having FU albs without any bonuses for it wahtsoever doesnt make a good civ.

portuguese have FU arbs with gold discount and are in worst 5 civs like for ever.]

adding missing techs to civs is just boring, lazy removal of edges what make civs unique.

like give goths last infatrz armor, malay cav armor, burmese archer armor, turks pikemen and spears. all these would make said civs a lot better, but also take a way what makes them special. adding techs is in my opinion always the last resort for civ buffing.

3 Likes

Byzantines B-tier

1 Like

sry i dont really believe in subjective opinion tierlist. more on the winrate side. also they are probably b tier for their skirms, which suck in teamgames still

This is a TG tier list.

And “I only trust the stats” is just a dumb stance.

B tier archer =/= B tier civ. Franks are F tier on that list.

1 Like

This is a flank tier list. Its not only about the archers

1 Like

Flank is 99% about archers. As testified even by that tier list. All civs with arbs or HCAs.

Yes, and Im saying that Byz are a fine flank civ

Yes, the sad part is that paladin upgrade, it tricks you making you think byz can be cavalry (pocket) civ, but in reality they’re just another generic arb civ with some cheap counter tools and no eco bonus.

1 Like