Should Hussar name be changed to something like "Medium Cavalry" or "Elite Light Cavalry" with new sprite?

Please this topic is about a simple sprite change and a rename. No need to turn it to balance discussion. Make a separate thread if you want.

1 Like

It’s a needless discussion. If it’s not broke let’s leave it alone. I find there to be far more interesting and important discussions worth giving 50+ post counts to in a days time.

3 Likes

its just a sprite change and a rename. I hardly doubt what it can break.

If this is done people will ask for more renaming and sprite changes for other things.best to leave it as it is.

1 Like

Yeah? if you’re so big for historical accuracy, please explain the lack of complaint about non french civs having paladin, about meso civs with steel, xbows, arbs, wheel, and siege, mamelukes as they are, among dozens of other historically inaccurate things.

1 Like

If you are keen on making 1000+ forums posts then sure i’ll do it. Paladins atleast was used on Western Europe. I’m fairly certain there have been posts for cultural unit skins in for civs out there as for your meso civs complain. Many even made theoretical arts of them. Quick google can still bring up a tons of reddit/forums posts. Devs did tried their best to fix tons of civ issues out there. I never got this devil’s advocate tendency of yours.
In theory we can even just say current balance is just fine and it was part of the reason why Huns wars and Knight vs Crossbow plays became the meta out there since Ensemble stopped pulling out balance patches for original AOC. Many old school players even said M@A was just fine when it costed 60f and 20g in past. Why change them even? Civs were doing just fine in theory.
Mechanical change aside we had unique skins for Aztecs Stables/Bombard Tower/Eagle Warrior-line and many other units here and there. Were they necessary? We could still be playing with Eagle Scout sprite today.

Didn’t someone already provide an historical reason for the last light cavalry stage to be called hussar?

2 Likes

Paladin is distinctly french lore - read up on the 12 companions.

yeah, but you’re the one who is complaining about 1 thing affecting 1 civ while ignoring literally everything about every other civ, which makes zero sense if you’re gonna use the historical accuracy argument, even when your argument is actually wrong and we’ve proven that more then just poles used hussars.

this has nothing to do with changing units for historical accuracy, which is your main gripe about the hussar, even though, as was proven that argument is bunk because

1. hussar wasn’t even polish at the start, other civs used it first.
  2. they were the elite light cavalry of many civs,
  3. despite your allegations, most civs adopted their use, even if only late in aoe2s timeframe.

so basically your historical accuracy argument is false, and yet you keep using it.

is the sprite historically accurate? no. but then again, neither are literally any non french civ having “Paladin”, nor Mamelukes
Most cavalry used lances, so swords are historically innacurate for them, THrowing axeman didn’t throw two headed axes, and i guarantee you a Chinese Heavy cavalry user didn’t look like a european knight.

but alas, for a guy who wants to use historical accuracy as his argument, you seem to only care about the accuracy of 1 unit. not much of a historical accuracy person if you ask me.

If other civs having winged hussars is a huge problem because “that was a polish thing” then why aren’t you utterly up in arms about literally everything else? makes no sense.
my guess? you’re polish or a huge polish fan and this one thing upsets you but who cares about the rest.

1 Like

and again. I’m not a devils advocate. I’m thoroughly against your change.

devils advocate would mean that i am arguing against your change to provide an opposing point of view only.
that couldn’t be further from the truth.

you want this type of change there is an easy answer.
ask for client side only non data mods for unit skins.
you get what you want. wingless hussar.
those who don’t want it get what they want.

2 Likes

I believe it’s pretty straightforward to change names using a text mod. I’ve never done it personally but I suggest downloading someone else’s text mod to see how it’s done. That way you could change the names of Hussar, Saracens, and whatever else you want without having to persuade anyone else that it’s a good idea.

I wouldn’t want this personally. “Medium Cavalry” sounds pretty bland, and feels like a step towards the AoE4 style of naming (they have things like Early Knight → Regular Knight → Elite Knight, I think).

2 Likes

I’d just like to see their wings removed, along with minor tweaks to make them look different enough from light cav.

I’m fine with them being called Hussars, but for those who don’t like it, what about “Assault cavalry” or “Raiding cavalry” instead of “Medium Cavalry”?

I like this idea
 but let’s do it better

Medium assault-raider horse-rider mounted-cavalry. With the hyphens of course. :+1::facepunch::+1::clap::wave:

Good job everyone

That being said on a more serious note I wouldn’t mind the change, but I think the resources can be spent elsewhere for greater returns. As mentioned above cavaliers and paladins(renamed heavy and super heavy knights?!?), eagle warriors(generic meso infantry?!?) etc are all completely wrong outside of 2 civs. So does it really matter?

Heck Incas arent even meso American
 so what would eagles be? Generic native American warrior?

Make other stuff better instead. Fix pathing. Tweak less used civs and units etc. Deal with hussars when there’s nothing left

5 Likes

So when are we going to limit crossbows to Europe (minus Vikings and Britons), Korea, Vietnamese, Khmer and China and replace everyone else with Improved Archer and Elite Archer?

3 Likes