Should the next DLC be: Slavs rework, Croats, Serbs, Romanians?

Don’t get me wrong, I wish Microsoft would make us a surprise and not have only a campaign-focused DLC, but looking at the news, I think they would have mentioned new civs for AoE2 if that was the case as well.

• Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition : We’ll reveal a brand-new campaign-focused expansion and an extended look at exclusive gameplay.

• Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition : After giving our players a new way to play for free in 2023, we are excited to reveal a new DLC with new civilizations.

I think AoE2 devs are trying to experiment right now. If I were them, I’d do non-reginal DLC with a bit of civs from everywhere & slavs rework. Like the original Forgotten Empires & Conquerors expansions, nobody complained. Because sure, some people like non-Europe, some people like Europe (seems to be what keeps the forum on fire right now), so there’s no way you can please everyone with a regional DLC regardless of the region, make it spread and more people are likely to like it. Not every part of the DLC, but everyone will like a part of the DLC.

Based on Steam achivements, campaigns have 3%-8% completion rate, so I don’t know how profitable that is going to be. But at the same time, maybe a campaign DLC doesn’t take much work so it adds up. Microsoft tries to experiment at the moment.

Yeah. I do think people who are saying “Campaign focused” ≠ “Campaign only” are just too optimistic.

If it was done in the past its not really an experiment.

Campaign only dlc is definitely an experiment.

2 Likes

But you do realize that even AoK civs have “too modern” names for their UTs??? The Goths civ have a UT called Anarchy and the Huns have a UT called Atheism. Oktoberfest sounds less weird -
but it’s just a name that can always be called differently. BECAUSE IT’S ONLY A PROPOSAL.

Moreover, “federal states” in Germany is an even more modern concept than Oktoberfest because it was created in 1919 for Weimar Republic. The German Empire consisted of Kingdoms, Grand Duchies, Duchies, Principalities and Free Cities. So if anything, it’s the Kingdom of Bavaria and not just any “federal state”. Especially since the Kingdom of Bavaria was an independent state at that time. But this is the AoE 3 time frame, not AoE 2. In the time frame of AoE 2, the Bavarian language evolved from the ancient Baiuvarii people and is spoken in Austria and Bavaria. In the Middle Ages, there was a large Duchy of Bavaria, which later became today’s Bavaria and Austria.

And my civs proposals are based on the 4 largest Germanic groups (including language groups) that existed already in the Dark Ages. Allemanians civ is an umbrella for the Swiss and Swabians. Bavarians civ are an umbrella for Austrians and Bavarians (Austrians speak Bavarian). Franconians civ is a big umbrella for West Germans including the Dutch. Saxons civ are the largest umbrella that covers almost all of Northern Germany and also has a huge impact on the history of both Germany and England.

Yes I think the same.

According to what we know so far, such campaigns require a lot of work for individual civs…

There I have a different opinion. I assume, that Microsoft has a clear line on what they want to do in the future and also had this line in the past. But according to their announcements for 2024 last December, the player base can expect more content this year than in previous years.

1 Like

I realize that of course. But ask yourself: Does adding modern names to any of the things in the game make the game not even more historically incorrect? I think, this game should not be developed further away from historical accuracy.

It is in anycase a name, which does not fit into the timeframe of the game and 1815 is way beyond…

Yes but people can reasonably deny your suggestion or… Not everyone likes my suggestions either, but if the answers to this are factually well based, I have no issues with them.

I was thinking that Oktoberfest is an incorrect name for UT in a medieval game. I found the perfect name for this place: Reinheitsgebot (purity law). The first legal act in history regulating food production was announced in 1516 in Bavaria - according to these regulations, beer could only be made from three ingredients: water, barley malt and hops

Goths UT called Anarchy can be renamed into “Hird".
Huns UT called Atheism can be renamed into “Scourge of God”.

1 Like

This name fits much better to the game, you did research well this time.

A good technology for a possible Bavarian civ in the game. Then I will just say cheers: :beer: :beers:

1 Like

Thank you! :beers:

Finally, I will add that with the German DLC I would see the addition of a completely new Architecture Set: the Alpine Architecture Set for Bavarians and Allemanians civs. In addition, a completely different Northern European DLC that would break the umbrella of Vikings and Celts civs could be added by the Northern European Architecture Set. A Nomadic Architecture Set for Mongols, Cumans and Huns (who are ridiculously included in the Central European Architecture Set) would also be needed… But unfortunately, after the disappointing TMR DLC, I lost faith in the new Architecture Sets.

1 Like

My life for Ner’zh…no, wait. Wrong game

2 Likes

No point beating a dead horse I guess. If they would have said “with new civilizations” they would have had more viewers, so it was clearly in their interest to say everything they have, but they didn’t, so they don’t have it likely.

1 Like

Next DLC should include Tibetans as a big fff uuu ccc kk you to China.

1 Like

Therefore, unfortunately, this will not be the case… because the DLC spiliting the Chinese umbrella civ would have the greatest interest where? Of course in China. Such an action could dramatically minimize the potential profits from this DLC due to its ban in China - this would not be beneficial to the creators.

Therefore, I would expect rather potentially uncontroversial new content related to China (uncontroversial for CCP). You would probably need to know the history of China as presented by its education system to know what can be a campaign and what cannot.

Im pretty sure the pack would have the most interest in people who prefer playing those sorts of civws

AoC was a BIG ticket yet I dont think Spanish or Mexican markets exploded on its release nor did the Hunnic descendants. And iirc Koreans being just such an addition for yhe Korean market DIDNT work yet it sold EXTREMELY well

5 Likes

I agree, the same thing, it could be anything…

Or Ivan III so you can have gunpowder on the missions…

Or Harald Hardrada…

The issue is that it would be a dlc of a single civ, which would be rare in AoE 2… for me a dlc with Serbs, Croats and Vlachs closes me very well (and while you add a Turkish campaign)…

Me too…I want unique monks and temples…

Yes, Vlachs fits into the typical denominations of AoE 2 (and AoE 3 too)…Rus sounds more like a state than a people per se, for a reason it is in AoE 4 next to the HRE…

The Khazars are Turks…

Yes, for me they either simply rename them Ruthenians or Rus…

Around 400, raids by the Huns from the east forced many Germanic tribes to migrate west into the territory of the Roman Empire and, fearing that they might be targeted next, the Vandals were also pushed westwards, crossing the Rhine into Gaul along with other tribes in 406.[6] In 409, the Vandals crossed the Pyrenees into the Iberian Peninsula, where the Hasdingi and the Silingi settled in Gallaecia (northwest Iberia) and Baetica (south-central Iberia).

On the orders of the Romans, the Visigoths invaded Iberia in 418. They almost wiped out the Alans and Silingi Vandals who voluntarily subjected themselves to the rule of Hasdingian leader Gunderic. Gunderic was then pushed from Gallaecia to Baetica by a Roman-Suebi coalition in 419. In 429, under king Genseric (reigned 428–477), the Vandals entered North Africa. By 439 they established a kingdom which included the Roman province of Africa as well as Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, Malta and the Balearic Islands. They fended off several Roman attempts to recapture the African province, and sacked the city of Rome in 455. Their kingdom collapsed in the Vandalic War of 533–34, in which Emperor Justinian I’s forces reconquered the province for the Eastern Roman Empire.

At least in AoE 3, except for Poland and Denmark, there are no more European civs to put in (Switzerland, Liechenstein, Greece, Wallachia appear in the distance)…

Yes, it’s quite a topic…except Europe and Asia, AoE 2 has difficulties going to other regions due to lack of written records…

The thing is that Return of Rome is more of an expansion of AoE 1 rather than AoE 2 (that’s why it passes without pain or glory)…

The Caucasus Mountains, including the Greater Caucasus range, have historically been considered as a natural barrier between Eastern Europe and West Asia.[5]

Mount Elbrus in Russia, Europe’s highest mountain, is situated in the Western Caucasus.[6] On the southern side, the Lesser Caucasus includes the Javakheti Plateau and the Armenian highlands, part of which is in Turkey

I don’t see a dlc like The Forgotten again, remember that The Forgotten was born from a civs mod in general…

True, we only need 14 leaders, a wonder, 1 UU and 2 UT and that’s it…

And Croatia? (although it has partly belonged to Hungary since the 12th century)…

Albanians can put them in if they put in a Skanderbeg campaign…I find it unlikely for the Finns since they were conquered by the Swedes in 1250 and from then on they belonged to them until the Napoleonic Wars…

Yes, you take out the Balkans (which will arrive at some point) and they only have the Rus…

Maybe… then in the Balkans you would only have Serbia, Croatia and Turks left as dlc…

It may be if they put it as an imperial UT of the Bavarians if they put them in the game…

You can put “Barthelmarkt”, which is not the Oktoberfest but it is medieval and from Bavaria…

The Barthelmarkt is an annual Volksfest (beer festival and travelling funfair) in Manching, near Ingolstadt, Germany. It is held on the last weekend of August and lasts four days. Every year, about 250,000 people visit it.[1]

Though first mentioned in 1354, its roots can be traced back as early as to the 1st century BC, when the Romans established a cattle market in the area.

Yes, it sounds very interesting… a The Asian Dynasties 2.0 xd…

Yes, I’m hyped for both, although more for AoE 3 since it’s been 2 years since the last DLC (although it’s most likely Poland and Denmark)…

Of course, I also love the campaigns more than the multiplayer and the AoE 2 ones more (Also, the gap in the 6th and 7th centuries needs to be filled in)…

Of course, in Central Europe you can still add one more Teuton split (Allemanians, Bavarians and Saxons)… Franconians are Franks and Burgundians…

I approve very strongly…

Yes, I say the same…

Same thing, don’t lose hope…

The same thing, we are not crazy about new civs either but we do not finish enjoying the latest ones we receive… you do not finish the campaigns of a dlc that they already release another one… I still have not finished the DoI ones…

2 Likes

Albanians are more similar to ingame huns just there because of the story,Finns I agree they are an odd bunch one one side they are like goths huns or cumans who got assimilated to other peoples without any stand out character for a story that I could think of.

I think he’s aware, it’s a popular request after all.

Tatars do include some Khazar player names tho. lol

So do Cumans. It’s quite strange. That would obviously have to be changed if the Khazars were added as a separate civ.

1 Like

Yes, it’s quite a topic, I think that Albanians can fit in if you include Skanderbeg as a campaign and then 14 more leaders as IA (all Albanian families), the wonder would be the Castle of Lezha and then the castle’s tecs and the UU I give it away…there isn’t much of the Finns and the Khazars are already represented by other later civs (all Turkish civs)…

1 Like

The Dracula campaign could definetly use a rework.

It’s better than making a campaign from scratch, but it constantly gets F tier on Youtube the reason is “you always play as different civs”. Not to mention it has some historical inaccuracies. I already made a topic about this:

FUN FACT: Vlad the Impaler had a son who later became ruler of Wallachia, his name? Mihnea the Evil.

Who was much worse than his father. At least Vlad Dracula had a sense of justice.

A monk named Gavril Protul who was an abbot and chronicler of this time period. He described Mihnea’s actions as follows: “As soon as Mihnea began to rule he at once abandoned his sheep’s clothing and plugged up his ears like an asp… He took all the greater boyars captive, worked them hard, cruelly confiscated their property, and even slept with their wives in their presence. He cut off the noses and lips of some, others he hanged, and still others drowned.” Mihnea retaliated by resorting to his father’s terror tactics, but did not reach proportions of his father due to time and opportunity.