Showcasing the Ancient World

The thing I was most interested in for the next installment of the Age of Empires series has been for years to revisit the time periods of the first Age of Empires. I was thrilled to learn of this remake and it might be enough to satisfy this desire (We all know Age of Empires Online doesn’t count). From paleolithic times to the iron age is indeed a MASSIVE stretch of time comprising more than AoE2 and 3 combined many times over. And I just love the thrill of starting with absolutely nothing where even developing stone tools is an exciting advancement.

Now I know that you are going to prioritize gameplay over history, but there are a lot of things you can do to really bring this ancient world to life. You’ll see that on this debate about remastering the game vs practically making a new one, I’m on the latter end of the spectrum. The first thing that comes to my mind is the civilizations that should be available:

Indians–It has always been perplexing why AoE always adds these guys last if at all. These kingdoms were enormously important in all ages of history and birthed two of the major world religions. They would have the best elephants and some major wololo.

Olmecs–one of the world’s oldest civilizations and the first in Mesoamerica.

Mayans– the height of their civilization takes place in the AoE timeline

Bantu– the Bantu expansion was one of the most significant events in human history. This is also during the AoE timeline so it’s perfect. If not the Bantu, then some kind of African civilization, like the Nubians. The less eurocentric the game, the better I say (I don’t think the Egyptians were black, but they weren’t “white” either. They were… Egyptians).

Parthians–They shared the world with their arch nemesis Rome.

Xiongnu–these guys were the reason the Chinese built their great wall. Possibly merge them with the Scythians.

Scythians–Very significant in the history of the vast steppes of Euraisa, and written about by the Greeks, Persians, and quite possibly the Chinese. This civilization and the two before could have early access to some nerfed down horse archers instead of chariots.

Syrians– Their military was often inferior to the great empires surrounding them, but the Syrians have a long, ancient history of being a center of trade and culture. Their language, Aramaic, was universal throughout the Ancient Middle East for millennia. Perhaps they would be better known for their economy in the late game.

Chinese– This is just renaming them. The Shang were an important dynasty; but, then again, so were all the other dynasties and ethnicities that occupied present day China. Who could forget the Qin? The Han? The Zhou? It seems weird to call stone age all the way to iron age the Shang, so we must rely on the oversimplification of “Chinese.”

If this is too many civs to start out with, I would even go so far as to cut/merge some of the others:

Palmyrans– I think it’s neat that they included this fascinating kingdom, but the ones above deserve to be in more than them. Did anyone play to win with them anyway?

Minoans– The Minoans were very important in the history of the Mediterranean and development of western civilization, but on the global scale, I wonder if they make the cut. Same is true for the Etruscans, though obviously they weren’t in there to begin with.

Carthaginians– I see the Carthage as simply one of the Phoenician city states and it should be _re_merged with them. The original AoE giving the Phoneticians bonuses on their elephants was an obvious nod to Hannibal and his elephants.

Macedonians–I’m just sayn’, it wouldn’t be the first time they were merged with the Greeks…

In addition, I would like to see each of the civilizations have a unique unit and a unique-looking wonder. If you take no other suggestions from this, please do that. That would be so cool.

I would definitely join the others in calling for all the practical improvements that came with AoE2 (auto farms, formations, garrisoning, etc.)

Then again, you could consider the Parthians to just a revival of the Achaemenid Empire and just give the Persians good horse archers

I don’t think there’s ever been a debate considering where they’re remastering the game or making a new one. They’ve said and it’s stated in multiple places that they’re doing the former, in much the same way AoE2 HD was a remaster and not a completely new game. If modding is going to be a feature of the game when it releases, then I’m sure things like this will be taken into account; however, I don’t think they would do anything significant - such as adding or changing civilizations - that would take away from the fact that this is an AoE remaster.

The game that they’ve announced is unequivocally a remaster, albeit a much more heavily involved remaster than some of the other ones we’ve gotten. More of an overhaul.

But there has also been a lot of excited speculation about what they’re going to announce at the upcoming GamesCon in Germany. They kinda hinted that it might be the announcement of a brand new game, or something as exciting to long-time fans as that.

So I think there’s still some value in presenting ideas for what people would hope to see from a future Age game, be it Age 4 (set at some point after the colonial era in the New World) or a different game that goes back in time again.

@“The True 1368” said: I would definitely join the others in calling for all the practical improvements that came with AoE2 (auto farms, formations, garrisoning, etc.)
Year, without such improvements I would say it’s just a minor overhaul of graphics and leave it with limped gameplay that isn’t up to par with modern standards!

On top of that I need 100 wood per tree, 40 wood is WAY too little! …(why I loooove black forest …ahem…)

Self trade! There’s nothing worse than having 1v1 and you can’t trade contrary 2v2++!

Wonders should generate gold!

TownCenters should generate 1 stone / sec, 1 stone max so you can’t exploit it by building multiple TC.

Temples should generate 1 gold / sec, and limited to 1 gold so you can’t exploit it by building multiple temples.

Fishing spots should recover after being depleted.

We almost have the same Icons! Also, I agree with adding more Civs. I wouldn’t wanna take away Mioans though. Those composite bowmen with their 2 mile range… so much fun in maps with shallows and No siege!

If they decide to add an expansion pack to AoE:DE, these would be my top choices for new civilizations:

Kushites (or “Nubians”): I do see ancient Egypt as an (originally) “black” African civilization*, but I agree with the proposed inclusion of the Kushite civilization. Given their history, they’re logical adversaries for the Egyptian and Assyrian civilizations already in the game. Would have strong elephants and archers.

Ethiopians: These would be based off the kingdom of Aksum which competed with the Kushites during the latter’s Meroitc period.

Indians: Agree with the suggested emphasis on elephants and priests.

Celts: Romans need someone to fight while they’re in northern Europe.

Germans: Same reason as above.

• I know this is not the place to debate this, but I wanted to voice a contrary opinion to what the OP stated.

@Tyrannohotep said:
If they decide to add an expansion pack to AoE:DE, these would be my top choices for new civilizations:

Kushites (or “Nubians”): I do see ancient Egypt as an (originally) “black” African civilization*, but I agree with the proposed inclusion of the Kushite civilization. Given their history, they’re logical adversaries for the Egyptian and Assyrian civilizations already in the game. Would have strong elephants and archers.

Ethiopians: These would be based off the kingdom of Aksum which competed with the Kushites during the latter’s Meroitc period.

• I know this is not the place to debate this, but I wanted to voice a contrary opinion to what the OP stated.

The Celts and the Germans (Teutonics) are already in AoE II.

They would be aded as DLC.
The Kushites will be better option.
Han instead of Chinese.
Other options Celts , Germans, Thracians, Numidians.

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Tyrannohotep said:

Indians and Ethiopians too

Thumbs up about the Nubians as DLC civ. About the Celts, they could be somewhat added but I don’t think “Germans” could be the name of those barbarians zones at Northern Eurpe. IMO Celts and Barbarians are almost the same if there weren’t few cultural differences between them, because every people outside roman empire was considered “barbarian” (including celts).

@KingDarBoja said:
Thumbs up about the Nubians as DLC civ. About the Celts, they could be somewhat added but I don’t think “Germans” could be the name of those barbarians zones at Northern Eurpe. IMO Celts and Barbarians are almost the same if there weren’t few cultural differences between them, because every people outside roman empire was considered “barbarian” (including celts).

Barbarians were considered to be people who did not speak Greek or Latin, with the passage of time the term barbaro was aimed at these specific peoples in northern Europe (but at the time it was considered barbarian who does not speak the same language as these two civilizations).

It is even funny that they considered great Western empires as barbarians, of course the denotative sense of the word was over time being used more to disparage divergent cultures, but in its beginning no.

It would be an excellent DLC <3

@Tyrannohotep said:

I guess you forgot the Carthaginians ? :wink:

For these kind of things. I hope the new version will be better mod-compatible. So you can tweak/add your own civs to a steam…, eh I mean, microsoft-workshop. o:)

@UnknownMortal said:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Tyrannohotep said:

Indians and Ethiopians too

There are Medieval Germans, Celts too are some kind Medieval represented by Scotland and Ireland, nor Gauls or Britons or Even Galatians.

@KingDarBoja said:

And the Natives from America all cultures must be called Indians instead his properly name. By culture and language.

The celts and Germans were differents.
Celts uses chariots
Germans uses archers and have Calvary.
Germans are most Norse kind.
Celts were Hellenized in somepoint
Celts uses slingers and skirmisher.
Celts uses dogs in warfare ,like romans.
Carthaginian even were barbarians for the romans.
For the Greeks Romans were barbarians.

I would like to see:
— germans
— britons
— gauls

My “Perfect aoe 1 civs list” would be:
-Romans
-Phoenicians
-Greeks
-Persians
-Chinese/shang/Han
-Japanese/yamato
-Koreans/choson
-Egyptians
-Sumer
-Babylonians
-Assyrians
-Hittites
-Scythians/some nomad civ
-Celts/Germans
-Maya
-Indians/gupta
-Olmecs
-Syrians/palmyrans
-Bantu/some african civ
-Khmer/some south east asia civ

I think this is a good balance for all ancient civilizations around the world.
Let us hope they consider this for a future new AoE game :smirk:

@“Mr NoVaseline” said:

@Tyrannohotep said:

I guess you forgot the Carthaginians ? :wink:

The Carthaginians were a North African/Mediterranian civilization

Didn’t AoE Online have Celts for a civilization? For ancient times, that is probably the biggest omission in AoE1.