Shrivamsha Rider is weirdly designed and (likely) underpowered

Attack move micro will totally shred them…

Are you kidding me? See the performance for yourself

All 8 Knights survived
Only 5 Lierreyy Riders survived

This is there in the video, please watch it
And the Shrivamsha performance is no better than plain Light Cavalry (they also get 1 less Pierce armor remmeber)

Damn, and what if we adjusted that to equal resources…

I’m also going to hazard a guess that they’ll do as good or better than Knights vs Hand Cannonners or other Gunpowder UUs.

2 Likes

The thing is, that the unit is appearently designed as an archer counter… and they also need one cause they don’t have anything really against archers besides that unit.
And then it isn’t even better than ligh cav in the midgame… which is really… underwhealming.
And they aren’t even good against anything else really.

2 Likes

Mining gold is actually not a difficult thing in Castle Age. You might know how spammable Eagles are. I feel that 70 food is too much for a unit considering what it gives. Remember, food is the most important resource in the midgame.

4 Likes

They’re actually probably best vs Siege because they absorb Siege units completely.

Sure, and you cannot make Hand Cannoneers in Castle Age. Or maybe your golds are under pressure.

Maybe the best option is to mix them into your Knights similarly how Steppe Lancers should be used.

It’s a Light Cavalry unit, not a Heavy Cavalry unit. It shouldn’t be oppressively strong vs Archers either.

nah… who will make siege without pikes against gurjaras? Shrivamsha get wrecked by pikes.

you should have a look in the tech tree…

Knights? They do not have that.

Oops :see_no_evil:

Camels, I guess!

I actually think the Shrivamsha design looks mostly fun.

I’m a bit worried about a unit that makes focus-firing much more important, because I still feel micro should be an option rather than a necessity. Having a global dodge stack could mitigate that problem.

Seems like this unit will be stronger anti-siege and anti-gunpowder than anti-archer. All that without any explicit bonus damage! To me, that’s good design.

Anyway, I’m willing to wait to see how the unit performs in ranked and tournaments.

2 Likes

Shrivamsha performes well only if the archer player is not microing :joy:
isn’t that itself horrible design?

3 Likes

I think even the militia line beats archers if not microed? :smiley:

I thought it would be a Knight replacement that performs better vs Archers but worse vs everything else, but in reality it is just a Steppe Lancer replacement in terms of usefulness.

1 Like

Could be awesome for raiding. Taking far less damage from defensive towers and tc fire.

1 Like

They may be good at raiding, but they arent any better than LCav vs Archers, which they were supposed to specially counter for the Gurjaras…

There is time to change them. And I’m sure devs will do so. Maybe the doge could be much longer cool down, but granting a shield effect for 1/x seconds? So focus firing would be less effectiv?

They simply could have reduced the accuracy of units hitting Shrivamsha… like trebs have lower accuracy vs all units

2 Likes

So anti Thumb ring? - 15% Accuracy or even more?
Could be interesting too, but I’m not sure if that would solve the focus firing problem?

that would have meant that they could just take more arrows to be one-shot, increasing the effective critical mass. Whilst making them especially bad against their counters in camels and pikes because of low hp for their cost.

High pierce armor is way harder to balance as there are so many units with different amount of Pierce attack.

IMHO Archermasses just need to be nerved somehow. Otherwise there won’t be any melee unit that actually counters archers on a high level