Siege concept issue (includes grenadiers)

Nah, we don’t have any other non-siege unit with a bonus except Chinese that deals more damage to sieges.
Yes, the unpacking and packing and movement speed are too fast too.

2 Likes

I agree the way they did siege units is boring and detached from the AOE series with no motivation to innovate. It is the main reason I did not buy the game even though I have been a life long AOE fan.

They need a “PRO” mode where siege are slower, maybe even sturdier, yet have operators and can be captured or destroyed. Cut a few ropes on some of them and they are completely useless. Its that easy to disable them.

So I like your idea how when they are trained from a workshop come with 2 operators, and the unit itself could be 1 pop, so cost 3pop for 1 unit. But if training in the field (only for primitive things like Ram, tower, and trebuchet) it would cost 1 pop, but 2 units would have to jump on to operate it. If engaged in melee mode they automatically detach and fight as what units they are. If the units are killed the player can send 2 of its units to capture it, or destroy it (perhaps reinforcements are on the way and you know you can’t hold it) This too would give players the option to destroy their own siege units.

Accuracy and friendly fire would be implemented.

Same for Archers, and Cav would be able to attack while on the move (possibly giving bonus dmg if hitting unit from behind while running)

I would like to even see it go to other levels by giving units dexterity and defense to block melee attacks (parry) and deal critical blows (same for arrows per % chance)

Things like that would make the battles so much more dynamic.

Even with my favorite streamers the game does not hold my interest for long in its present state, its good for kids, but needs a PRO mode for people who progress to wanting more strategy rather than numbers game. where chance/stats, terrain, positioning etc… all matter.

1 Like

Even if I agree with the OP, I think one of the reasons they made siege this strong is their decision to make walls unattackable by regular units. And the reason for that was - you guessed it - realism but also to nerf raiding, slow down the fast pace of the game. It’s a design decision highly integrated with the rest of the game systems. Therefore, only specific nerfs to certain siege units is ever going to be expected. As a whole though, I agree the way siege works is unsatisfying and the worst in the series.

1 Like

They need to remove the torch attack on the siege.
and it should be way better than the current situation.

2 Likes

Exactly! And we need non-siege units that counter siege engines.