Significant performance improvement when alt-tabbed or running the game in windowed mode as opposed to full-screen mode

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• **GAME BUILD #:46295
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
    (Ryzen 2600x, 16gb dual channel 3200mhz ram, rx 570 4gb, nvme ssd)

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

In Full-screen mode I experience severe stuttering and a large FPS drop. In Windowed mode the game runs smoothly without stutter and the fps matches my monitors refresh rate. Additionally, In Full-screen mode when I click on task manager the game reaches 165fps and the utilization of my gpu reaches 45%. In contrast, when I click back on the game the fps drops back to 60-70~ and my gpu utilization falls to 10% (task manager shows due to using the option always on top).

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Enter 1v1 Skirmish against AI.
  2. Change graphic setting Full screen > Windowed
    or
  3. Open Task Manager and click between the task manager and the game.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

I would expect that while running AOE in full-screen mode the game would utilize my gpu as it does in windowed mode in a similar manner.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

The different peaks on the utilization graph shows when I click on the task manager and on the game.

:arrow_forward: VIDEO

Scrolling around the map best highlights this issue. But you can see the stuttering when just watching the animation of a unit performing an action.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

Not Applicable.

1 Like

I seem to have found the issue and entirely solved the problem. I’ve been able to get the windowed mode performance on par with full-screen performance. I achieved this by rolling back my AMD Radeon software drivers back to 20.9.1. I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same issues.