Small Mercenary rework

I have an idea for a small Mercenary rework.
Why not allow others than Sweden to unlock Mercenaries to be trained, but only a limited number.
For example the British gets a card that unlocks Highlanders but they can only have 20 of them in the field (Like Natives).

Also a Home City card that sends a second Saloon (Saloon limit +1 and 1 Saloon wagon) to be able to train more Mercenaries for some civilisations like Germany. Could be combined with the card mentioned above.

The Mercenary Contractor gets turned into a Capitol Technology. Having such a powerful technology as a choice against like 2000 coin doesn’t seem to be that fair. Why would a Swedish player ever not choose that?
The politician now ships an army of mercenaries that depends on the Civilisation.

This could also be a good chance to add some new Mercenaries. Switzerland as the most famous Mercenary country should be represented by more than one Mercenary. But there are also a lot of other countries. TAD only gave us 5 new Mercenaries for all of Asia (plus 3 that existed before).

1 Like

Training mercs is still not viable at present (except for Swedes) even with the mercenary politician. Saloon has a build limit of 1 and the training is too slow.

This is similar to many church technologies. Maybe we can make these techs more accessible and allow them to be sent repetitively.

I suggested in another similar topic that you should be able to build 1 Saloon per Town Center, or just have a 2 or 3 base limit for all European civs.

I think it is also possible to add a tech/card that boosts the training speed similar to standing army.

Dutch also play with Mercenaries a lot, and so do Germans.
I think Dutch should be allowed to build 2 Saloons, and the Mercenary Contracts card should diminish training time for all civs that have it.

I think that Outlaws and Mercenaries in general should have fast training speeds, but be considerably more expensive than the average unit. With outlaws being better at raiding roles(good vs. villagers and buildings) and mercenaries being better at fighting actual military units.

They already are, specially in population costs, which is why pure Mercenary armies are not viable, you will be brutally outnumbered everytime, and they already start not trading too well with Industrial Age upgrade units.

There should be an upgrade to boost mercenaries in industrial age. Maybe a 200w/200g for a 20% boost. Each unit is upgraded individually, only for age2 and 3 mercs. So you can’t boost the age4 ones.

There is Wild West, for Outlaws, which are the ones taht need sta boosts the most, and are the most grievously overpriced.
You also have the Dance Hall card, that reduces pop cost for Outlaws and gives you Ronin (some of the best Mercs).

I kind of like that mercenaries become less powerful in the later ages when compared to regular units, since it mirrors history during that time period as nations had more professionalized armies and had to rely less on mercenaries. But gameplay wise, your idea makes sense.

1 Like

Also, Mercs benefit from Standing Army and Mass Cavalry, and even training time cards and Arsenal upgrades, just like regular units. The thing that really holds them back, is the 1 Saloon limit.

For example:

" Improvements
Hit points Infantry Breastplate.png\ 22x22 Infantry Breastplate (+10%)
Thin Red Line.png\ 22x22 Thin Red Line (+20%, British only)
Corselet.png\ 22x22 Corselet (+25%, Spanish only)
Cree Tanning.png\ 22x22 Cree Tanning (+5%)
Maya Cotton Armor.png\ 22x22 Maya Cotton Armor (+20%)
Navajo Weaving.png\ 22x22 Navajo Weaving (+5%)
Attack Counter Infantry Rifling.png\ 22x22 Customized Merc Weapons (+30%, John Black’s Mercenaries only)
Carib Kasiri Beer.png\ 22x22 Carib Kasiri Beer (+10%)
Mapuche Tactics.png\ 22x22 Mapuche Tactics (+50% siege attack)
Zapotec Cult of the Dead.png\ 22x22 Zapotec Cult of the Dead (+20%)
Yoga.png\ 22x22 Yoga (+5%)
Master Lessons.png\ 22x22 Master Lessons (+10%)
Speed Military Drummers.png\ 22x22 Military Drummers (+10%)
Tillys Discipline.png\ 22x22 Tilly’s Discipline (+20%, Germans only)
Inca Road-building.png\ 22x22 Incan Road-building (+20%)
Apache Endurance.png\ 22x22 Apache Endurance (+5%)
Sight Town Watch.png\ 22x22 Town Watch (+2)
Creation speed Standing Army.png\ 22x22 Standing Army (-25%)
Inca Chaquis Messengers.png\ 22x22 Incan Chasquis Messengers (-25%)
Train cost Mapuche Ad-mapu.png\ 22x22 Mapuche Ad-mapu (-10% coin cost)
Penalties Thin Red Line.png\ 22x22 Thin Red Line (-25% speed, British only)
Coffee Trade.png\ 22x22 Coffee Trade (-10% speed, Dutch only)
Tillys Discipline.png\ 22x22 Tilly’s Discipline (+10% cost, Germans only)
Corselet.png\ 22x22 Corselet (-15% speed, Spanish only)

Home City Cardsedit | edit source

[hide]Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Barbary Corsair

• Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
  • Purple: Shipment that can be sent an INFINITE number of times

Alledit edit source

Card Description Age HC level
Spanish Home City 3 (Fencing School).png\ 22x22 Fencing School Infantry train time -40% Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 10

The Fencing School card is not available to Chinese, Japanese, and Ottomans.

Chineseedit edit source

Western reforms.png\ 22x22 Western Reforms All units get +8% hit points and attack Ages industrial.jpg\ 33x25 40
Acupuncture aoe3.png\ 22x22 Acupuncture Unit train time -20% Ages fortress.jpg\ 33x25 10

Dutchedit edit source

Dutch Home City 2 (Infantry Hitpoints).png\ 22x22 TEAM Infantry Hitpoints Infantry get +15% hit points Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 10

Europeansedit edit source

British Home City 5 (Hire Barbary Corsairs).png\ 22x22 Hire Barbary Corsairs Ships 9 Barbary Corsairs; costs 1,000 coin Ages fortress.jpg\ 33x25 10
Spanish Home City 5 (Mediterranean Mercenary Army).png\ 22x22 Hire Mediterranean Mercenary Army Ships 4 Stradiots, 6 Barbary Corsairs, and 3 Mamelukes; costs 2,000 coin Ages industrial.jpg\ 33x25 25
Ottoman Home City 5 (Hire Barbary Force).png\ 22x22 Hire Barbary Corsair Force Ships 15 Barbary Corsairs; costs 2,000 coin Ages industrial.jpg\ 33x25 40

The Hire Barbary Corsairs card is available to British, Ottomans, and Portuguese.

The Hire Mediterranean Mercenary Army card is not available to Dutch and Russians, and ships 1 extra Barbary Corsair and Mameluke for the Germans.

The Hire Barbary Corsair Force card is available to Ottomans and Portuguese.

Germansedit edit source

German Home City 5 (Improved Mercenaries).png\ 22x22 Improved Mercenaries Mercenaries get +20% hit points and attack +3 Uhlans Ages fortress.jpg\ 33x25 10

Indiansedit edit source

Indian Home City 2 (Dravidian Martial Arts).png\ 22x22 Dravidian Martial Arts All units get +15% melee attack +1 Villager Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 40
Shivajis tactics.png\ 22x22 TEAM Shivaji’s Tactics All units get +5% hit points and attack Ages industrial.jpg\ 33x25 25

Iroquoisedit edit source

Iroquois Home City 2 (Scout Infantry).png\ 22x22 TEAM Scout Infantry Infantry get +8 LOS Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 10

Japaneseedit edit source

Onin war.png\ 22x22 Onin War Infantry get +33% siege attack Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 40

Russiansedit edit source

Russian Home City 2 (Ransack).png\ 22x22 Ransack Infantry get +50% siege attack Ages fortress.jpg\ 33x25 25
Russian Home City 3 (Dueling School).png\ 22x22 TEAM Dueling School Infantry train time -25%; banner army train time -12% Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 25

Spanishedit edit source

Spanish Home City 1 (Hand Infantry Attack).png\ 22x22 TEAM Hand Infantry Attack Melee infantry get +15% attack Ages colonial.jpg\ 33x25 10
Spanish Home City 3 (Inquisition).png\ 22x22 TEAM Inquisition All units get +10 LOS Ages discovery.jpg\ 33x25 10"

I think the feature of being able to train Mercenaries in Barracks and Stables should be unique for Sweden as they leak basic unit types like a Skirmisher and a Dragoon.

But there should be the option to have more than 1 saloon, especially for the civilisations that heavily rely on them.
Adding a Saloon Wagon and a +1 Saloon limit to some of the existing Mercenary/Saloon related cards would be a nice addition.

The combination of Wallenstein’s Contracts and the Mercenary Loyalty card seems strange.
You have to send 2 cards (Church card and the Mercenary Loyalty) to get free Mercenaries (besides the infinite ones that don’t even get a discount from Wallenstein’s Contracts). That is a lot of upfront investment for the later benefit of free Mercenaries than can only really pay out in Industrial Age.
And it doesn’t change the training cost of them at all. Maybe a -10% would be nice.
I think the Wallenstein’s Contracts should be reworked. It could give a completely different bonus like permanently unlocking some mercenaries in the Saloon.

Being able to send Mercenaries twice (at last for some civilisations like Germany) would be an interesting change too.

4 Likes

Perhaps Mercenary Contracts could allow for an extra Saloon.
You would still have to build it, but it would make the card actually useful for non-card Mercenary strategies, because getting all your Mercs from Shipments is a bad idea, if you want to go Mercs.

It think it should give a discount at Saloon Mercenaries, or make them train instantly (which would still kill your Gold reserves).

1 Like

Ah I didn’t notice that because I rarely trained mercs after age 3 due to the 1 saloon limit.

The other thing that really prevents the use of saloons is the randomness. Imaging trying to go merc and finding ninja+arsonist, etc. The merc politician is a good start. Maybe all mercenary cards should enable the mercs permanently at the saloon (while being able to train them at barracks/stables remains a Swedish unique trait).

3 Likes

But you can only train Mercs from Age 3 onward, before that you only get Outlaws, which are super expensive and cost 4 and 6 pop each.

Never go for Outlaws, they are just trash, unless you get the Dance Hall card.
And even then they are still a waste of Gold.

I agree, only Outlaws should have map variation. Mercs should be civ-specific, like Germans always having Black Riders, and Portuguese always having Shinobi.

1 Like

By “after age 3” I mean “after leaving age 3 and advancing into age 4”. Sorry for the confusion.

If mercs are civ-specific then the merc contractor politician may not be that useful. I’d prefer each civ having several ways to unlock certain mercs just like being able to send certain mercs through shipments.

Edit: Or at least make the merc options visible when loading the map. Otherwise you’ll have to build your strategies after building the saloon.

1 Like

Why not? It would just give you Mercs you do not usually get in your civ-specific Saloon.
This could be easily adjusted.

Example:
-Portuguese always get Ninja, Arsonist and Lil’ Bombard in their Saloon. With Mercenary Contractor they also get Stradiots and Yojimbo.
-Ottomans always get Barbary Corsairs, Arsonist and Mamelukes in their Saloon. With Mercenary Contractor they get Manchu and Jaeger.
-Dutch always get Fusilier, Harquebusier and Landsknetch in their Saloon. With Mercenary Contractor they get Jaeger and Lil’ Bombard.

1 Like

I want Fusilier to become a Swiss mercenary and Harquebusier to become an Irish mercenary. It is not appropriate for the French and the British to act as mercenaries.

I think the Harquebusier is kinda supposed to be Irish but they didn’t want to record new voice clips.
I think a few resking Mecrs would be ok if it makes the available mercs more historic. I mean the Swedish already have a reskin Jäger.

Most of the new Revolutionary units are slight edits of existing units. I think that’s totally ok.
I guess the new African and Algerian units in the game are already planned for the first DLC so they can’t just be used for Mercs now.

More Asian Mercs please.

The Mercs should also be reworked for the Asians in the same way of course. They have them in the monastery right now and they can only build 1.

Not bad ideas. There definitely needs to be a way to increase merc training speed through a new card/tech or an add-on to the mercenary loyalty card. They are mercenaries after all, they’re already trained, they should be pretty quick to acquire as long as you have the coin, and maybe some established relationship (like a card or tech would represent). Limited recruiting through the saloon of certain mercenaries for certain civs after shipping a card like Sweden is an interesting idea too, but perhaps there should just be more infinite merc shipment cards instead.

2 Likes