Solution to Smurfs/Elo ladder manipulation

You are correct, the other poster didnt even ready my explination. No one is stoping from FAMILY SHARING. You dont need to buy the game again if you wish to play lobby games/single player mode. The only thing that will not worked is RANKED Ladder games both 1v1 and TG.

This simply eliminates FAKE ELO of all players out there. Each player plays with their real skill level and all games naturally go by fair games both in TG and 1v1s. Sure if some one wants to buy the game again on steam to smurf, let them. Its their money they can afford and over tiem that account also gets to the real elo.

This way many smurfs will be gone and very less will remain (If they keep buying the game over and over). My suggestion isn’t about banning people or causing harm to community, very exact opposite.

Just let each player use ONE account with his REAL skill and thats it. It is same in almost all other multiplayer based games in the world so please dont say “I haVe 5 BrtoheRs aNd 1 caT wiTh 3 DucKS and wE faMily Share CausE i saVe $10
”

I think the devs already realized that the new system just doesn’t work and it’s easily exploited.

I really think they should get rid of Teamgame elo for for good. I think it makes more sense. Just one Elo is enough.
Or at least return to the way it was before the last update.

Here is an update. Look how each team is adopting a “smurf” to get easy games or just ruining the match making for them:

As you can see, the game did its job and paired a team with same average elo, nothing wrong here right? Look a little further into the elos of the players are see how its being abused.

It can be true that this individual doesnt play TG often so his teamgame rating is low, but that doesnt excuse his teammate who has nearly 80% win rate and legit smurf.

One guy created 3 accounts, lets his highest elo decay down to 2k7-2k8 from 3k and then pairs another friend with a total smurf account to get down to about -700 difference. If you dont see this as elo manipulation/ladder abuse i dont know what else will. Its not just them, its practically on each level this is done for either “fun” or for just easy games.

Its not the issue how elo is calculated, but literally people able to exploit with multiple accounts over and over and over until it creates a fake inflation and ruins games for every one.

Its time to block all family shared accounts from Ranked Multiplayer system and stop this madness. Entire match making for TG is gone down the drain as we speak.

3 Likes

the simplest way is just disable the family share of AOE2

those other suggestions just won’t stop the smurf actually,
TG with ± 100 diffference already affecting the win rate alredy.
and beiside this they just can’t stop the smurf in 1v1. There are lots of smurf account in top 2000 1v1.

1 Like

No, please, no. That was even more terrible
 Ratings were completely meaningless. Now it becames much better, but there are other exploits, which will mess up with the ladder (and the mess from the old calculation isnt cleaned up by the devs, which so the mess is still present on the ladder).

The matchmaking elo should be determined by the player with the highest elo of the premade team.

2 Likes

This incentivize people to smurf / have a low elo account to play with friends. Its not interesting to go into a game as a 2k player with a 1200 friend, to face 2x 2k players. You have a 50% chance on one side, you friend has less than 5% chance on his.

Well, that will literally just spawn a bunch more smurfs lol. Not letting friends play together is gonna p*** people off.

2 Likes

I really wanted to ask this question before to anyone who complain about smurf if you may.

My question is: What is the problem with smurf?! I mean if you play against smurf with like 90% winrate so he will just keep playing and winning against other players who have lower ELO than him until he reached his real ELO so you will not face him again, so with all due respect I don’t see any problem with playing against/with smurfs because in the end he will reach his real ELO and I will not see him again.

What if they did ELO calculation different for winning and losing teams? When a team loses, equal number of points are lost from the team mates but when winning, low ELO player gets more than the higher ELO players. This would address the issue of smurfing as high elo players cannot pump their ELO as high and also not punish the higher ELO player when their team loses the game.

1 Like

There are two main issues with smurfs:

1. The are used to artificially lower their average TG rating of the team, so they can face easier opponents and have a bigger change to win. For example a team that play at 2k level replace a player as smurf (new account, so 1k rating). There TG rating will become 1.75k. So instead of facing 2k players (like their real skill), they face 1.75k players (below their real skill).

2. Smurfs tend to never reach their true elo. They are likely to make new smurfs before they reach this point. So the full circle starts again and you might play the same smurf under another account again for that reason.

This wont really solve the issue. I would even say it makes it worse. You can boost your elo even more with smurf accounts with this option (Look at the number #1 on the team game ladder).

It would much better to alter the way the average team rating is calculated for team games. I have seen multiple good ideas. My own idea is that if the elo between players is to big, the lowest players will get an increase in elo for the TG calculation.

For example: If the gap if bigger then 500 elo, then for the calculation it becomes 500 less then the max. To give an example for the #1 on the ladder:

He plays 2v2 with a smurf account, so now it is 4k + 0.8k = 2.4 on average. So they get matched against other 2.2k players and the elo win or loss is based on this 2.2k.
In the suggestions the 0.8 will counts as 3.5k (500 less then 4k). So 4k + 3.5 = 3.75 on average. So they got matched based on this 3.75k average rating and the elo win / loss is calculation based on this 3.75k average elo.

This 500 elo gap is just an example. It can be a different number. This will at least fix the impact of smurfs greatly.

There are also some other examples with the same goal. I have seem someone using a formula including the log function to have kind of the same outcome, but it looks much more complex for most players. And there might be other solutions with kind of the same goal as well.

3 Likes

Until he makes 10 more accounts and keeps fighting your elo level over and over again
 that waht smurfing is.

1 Like

I really think you are exaggerating guys, there is no point to make 10 accounts or whatever and do the same thing over and over again or tend not to reach the real ELO, I mean what is the benefit here?! They will just get bored because they knew they are lying on themselves, and there is no benefit to keep losing/winning at same time to not go higher ELO and if this really real, then they are just a toxic and troll players and not good players at all.

There is a reason why threads like this pop up all the time. To me it shows this is a big issue. People care way to much about their elo and they really likes to win games instead of losing games. It is pretty much toxic behaviour. I fully agree. But it seems to happens a lot and seems getting even more frequently after the change in the calculation.

Many games dont show the actual numbers, but have some rating league system. Like Bronze, silver, gold. And you see only that as placeholder for your true rating. I wont mind if the devs will adapt such system as well and only show for example the top 100.

1 Like

You completely misunderstood what I tried to say. If a team of 3000 1000 wins a game against 2000 2000 players → 3000 should get 1 point and 1000 should get 31. So 3000 cannot pump his elo like the current team game ladder holder. Loser team always lose 16 if win chance is 50%.

This has no way of pumping higher elo guy unless he teams up with similar elo players as himself.

1 Like

hahaha it’s really funny, havent been here few days, now full of the posts talking about smurf.
and there are still some people who defending the smurfs.

This is somehow answered another post about asking why some players are so toxic.

We need an urgent solution to this issue, if a steam account lends the game, the person or account to whom it was loaned must have the same rated and same games as the main account, end of discussion, end of smurf. It sucks to machtmaking every game with 2 or 3 smurf per team ruining the gaming experience.

1 Like

well maybe some users on this forum also smurf :smiley: sometimes I do it too lol (mostly when I feel like having a day of meme-ing around)

Are you kidding? Its VERY common now. 25% of games at least will have a smurf. This literally ruins ranked. Unsurprisingly, smurfs are the most toxic people out there and only care about winning against people half their skill. But they still pick pocket every time!

1 Like

He also admits to smurf. So i dont think you can take his claim too seriously. Smurfing is a big issue on the TG ladder.