Some civ balance patch found in PUP version

I have said that this dev never admit their design failure for Svea Lifeguard that broke the game due to changing carolean armor to ranged type.

2 Likes

So they nerf base shrine gather rate but buffed toshogu shrine boost to even it out?

no base gather rate is the same its just the hp that got nerfed

so before Toshogu shrine would give .033 boost on the .1 wood trickle now it is .05 on the .1 wood trickle

1 Like

they fix the beverage bug for cowboy and now have 10 sec charged cd after beverage research, and 25% buff for west wild

3 Likes

also reduce the anti cavalry from x3.5 to x3.25

1 Like

I don’t like some of these changes, such as messing with building xp in relation to resource cost. why balance in such a roundabout way that will affect all cases rather than directly nerf Portuguese covered wagon xp. it seems senseless like nerfing Abus rate of fire instead of their stats or costs. XP should directly correlate with costs, there are better way to balance the game than decoupling the reward from investment.

50% resistance to 45% and 30%->25% for Yabusame/Musket riders instead of directly nerfing hp, damage and cost also seems like a change whose goals can be achieved in better ways. if you need to nerf resistances at least do so in steps of 10%, it makes it easier to calculate effective hp that way.

also keeping 6 mamelukes 1 time yet not adjusting costs/amounts to reflect their value, such as 800g or 1200g and 7 mamelukes. 150 food for a 800 resource leather cannon shipment also doesn’t add up, its 50 food more than it should be when compared to a resource crate. more shipment bs with 5 hussars, 6 abus guns yet only 4 grenadiers? a 280 resource difference that makes no sense and has no reason to exist. and is there any reason grenadiers still have a 4 rof siege attack, have massive 0.3 maluses and require a card to be useful rather than be built into their upgrades?

otto +100 wood instead of age 1 mosque is strange and doesn’t fix the problems the civ has as well .1 more xp a second or not. mosque play should be further encouraged with starting mosque wagon and instant villagers for researching the techs, not be pushed out of reach in age 2. Spanish logistician is also still a bland tech, just weaker. they need a revamp.

nerfing Carolean resistance to 20% is good, as well as house hp. granadaro having unit tags is long overdue too. port losing a full 100 food crate rather than the 50 food crate nonsense is better than before, yet their hidden food gathering buff should have been removed as well.

also colonial militia costs 400/400 but now only gives 12 instead of 15 militia. while reducing amount of militia is the correct way cost should also be adjusted and reflect the amount given.

4 Likes

I like the changes for the most part, my main concern is that the swedish infinite 8 skirm shipment is too OP… Was it infinite 7 skirm before? 8 skirm = 920 resources… that’s a bit too high a value for a fortress age infinite card!

2 Likes

This should help japan in late game when they have a really hard time.

2 Likes

It could be fine if the base stats of caroleans is worse.
I think there is a very straightforward rule of balancing design: if a unit (1) plays the role of a regular unit (2) does not cost significantly more (3) is as easily accessible as its counterpart (4) does something significantly better than its counterpart
→ it should be worse at something else.

2 Likes

may not all, i just find apart of them

1 Like

seems these are decent changes, but I also concern how otto can start with their 400w on a non tp nor water map

3 Likes

ZB7eAnb6BU
It looks like Peru grenadiers have 2 less range on their grenades. Hopefully that means they are easier to beat with skirms

Also Spanish gold is 360g down from 400g

5 Likes

maybe start with a market or dock

Thank you for finding more changes

3 Likes

Good nerfs to whats been needing nerf for Sweden, Spain, Port.

Are there any balance changes for China? Flamethrowers have been a useless unit forever. Their population cost is too high, its 1 higher than Leather Cannons for some reason, yets its nowhere near as effective. If you measure the cost of 3 Flamethrowers in villager seconds, you can get 2 Falconetts for the same cost. But 3 Flamethrowers are not even close as effective as 2 Falconetts due to low range and poor attack animation. One Flamethrower cannot even beat 10 Strelets. For 170 wood 170 coin the unit is way too expensive for what it offers. There is no reason to ever build Flamethrowers. Pikemen offer Siege and anti-Cav. Skirmishers or CKN deal damage to infantry with much higher range and once you have a high number of them, they do much better against Cavalry aswell.

Also the Coin trickle in the German consulate was still 1.25, it should be increased to 1.50, same as the coin trickle for everyone else. And the coin trickle from the german consulate should be available in Age 2. Its never worth it to go for it because its locked behind Age 3. At that point you’re better off investing Export into Musketeers.

i hope so, but i find chinese unchanged, still 1.25/s coin trickle in German consulate and bad-performance flamethrower.

1 Like

There is a PUP from Age of Empires 3? Where I can download it? Dammed work keeps getting in the way of the gaming =p

On the balances changes itself:

• Swedes: If I’m being honest, I rarely use leather cannons. They are only good on age 2, and now there is a cost on they on the only time of the game that they are useful? I don’t know…

I like dominions back on age 2 with a smaller increase on Torps HP. When they changed it to age, Dominions where never used again because it was a age 2 card on age 3… and people prefer to send age 3 shipments on age 3. SO the card surely needs either a buff and stay on age 3, or come back to age 2 with a nerf. This might be a good solution.

The infinite Skirmishers is broken, since there are civilizations that send 8 skirmishers and it’s a one time card (Examples: Germany and Dutch). Maybe it’s a better solution than Jaegars, since Jaegars only becomes viable in the late game when the coin mines is already running out for Swedes, but I think that infinite shipment is just broken.

I do like reducing torps HP, as they are a very invasive build. Unlike other resources producing buildings they can shoot hunts and deplete enemy coin mines. So they probably should be easier to go down to discourage Swedes players to steal the opponent resources.

The Mamelukes should cost 800 gold since 6 mamelukes cost 2400 coin (400 gold per mameluke) and a Age 4 shipment is worth 1600 resources. And as a one time card, it should have the full value.

And I still don’t think the problem with Swedes is Svea Lifeguard. So I don’t think nerfing it to the Caroleans would solve the Swedes problem. For me the problem is that they get to Age IV too fast.

• Spain and Argentina: I feel like the changes don’t really address the problem. The Logistican giving you 3250 free resources instead of 4000 free resources it’s just less broken that it was before. But maybe now it is bearable… got to test this out.

Also the problem with the Granadero did not got addressed. The basic problem with them is that they only loses convincingly to hand cavalry (As they have too much ranged resistance and attack to skirmishers be a threat to them like they are with Dragoons). But they are faster than the majority of Hand Cavalry in the game, so they just run away safely.

• Japanese: I don’t like nerfing the HP of shrines. Ok, 200 less HP is not thaaaat relevant, but it could be significant. And Japanese don’t do shrines because they it’s funny. They do to supplement their economy and try to catch after their terrible age time.

The Yabusame definitively needs a nerf on the ranged resistance, and a bigger one. The only unit that actually hard counter they are Dragoons on melee mode (And I mean Dragoons, stuff like Cav. Archer just don’t have enough speed to catch them).
I would not have a problem with this, if half of the civilization on the game just don’t have a Dragoon unit. But since this is the case, in my opinion they ranged resistance should be 30-35%, and a buff of 25-20% should be given to their HP, so they can be killed by skirmishers with some efficiency.

• Ottomans: Does the 6 abus gun replaces the 5 abus gun card, or the two coexist?
    If it is the first case, then this might somewhat help, because Abus Guns are super expensive and ottomans economy not that good, and a extra abus gun could help mass.
    If it’s the second scenario, than this is probably just broken.
    The experience trickle is good thought. Ottomans are very depedent of their home shipments as their economy is not great.

• Russia: I think that is the Haitch proposal, of reducing the cost of the settlers batch… and althought I do respect a lot Haitch as he is a far superior player than I am, I honestly don’t think this is the problem with Russia, specially with the possibility of doing multiple Town Center on DE. That’s do not address the main problem with Russia that it’s not having any unit with a decent range.
    It is a considerable buff thought, specially now with cheaper TCs.

• Haudenausaunee: I don’t know if it is a good solution to reduce the ranged resistance of the Musket Rider, as they are the only counter that Hauds have against artillery, and they need to resist some shots from the skirmishers while they stand up and shoot the artillery. And it’s not like they have a mercenary-high ranged resistance like the Yabusame that almost makes skirmishers not counter they.

On the Tomahawks: Yeah, I mean, they are one of the worst musketeers type of unit in the game. Maybe a slight buff could help. But the thing is: Hauds have such a good age 3, and now they are getting a buff on a unit that they basically just use on age 2. Would be balance to buff Hauds age 2 when they already have such a good age 3?

• Portugal: That’s a fukking harsh nerf. I made a crude math here, and figure out that Portugal would be clicking up about 2:34… but it’s is a very crude calculation as only takes in consideration the time that it’s need to collect the crates, and not stuff like herding and walking time that is variations that is very hard to put on numbers, as it’s varies a lot depend on the map.
    Of course, I need to actually play before giving a definitive opinion on the matter, but I think 10/10 is not even viable anymore since it’s quite slow for age up with almost no eco behind it.

What you guys think about all this?

EDIT: I just noted now that I did not commented on the US changes.
Thing is, the outlaws build requires so many age 1 cards, that you are almost always forced to open with Chinese Immigrants to get enough XP for the shipments.
And while the bug where that makes you need to click thousand times for the wagon to actually build the TP do not get fixed, this build is kind of irrelevant.
If this particular bug is fixed, then the US meta might switch to the outlaws builds, which is a very interesting build.

4 Likes

Some current changes listed here: Huge NERF Patch Inbound! [AOE3DE] - YouTube

I don’t agree with some of the remarks on the video, but some of the changes are on it.

10/10 is an abomination. Sorry. It had to be nerfed. And the nerf doesn’t touch the uniqueness of ports, so it seems well thought out.

1 Like