Some Facts About Trade

Trade routes require a “Home” which is a building with the Trade Site tag (Market, Dock or some landmarks) and a “Target” which is a building with the Trade Site tag owned by either an ally, enemy or neutral. Using a neutral market gives a 20% increase in collection. Traders will automatically find new Homes, and don’t care about which type of building is used, so if your market is destroyed (or relocated for Mongols) your traders might automatically swap to a dock.

Income appears to be quadratic with length, so longer trade routes are strictly better, though obviously harder to control safely. Trade routes that are so short they display as +0G on the market do eventually provide income, so fractional amounts are counted. This also means the exact quadratic below is not correct, because it should be positive at zero tiles edge-to-edge.

Income is map size dependent, a 90 length route provides 173 per trip on micro but only 112 on large. On the other hand, a 170 length route on large provides 373 per trip, so better routes are possible on larger maps.

When commanding traders, they have two commands called “Trade” and “Set Home Market” that allow you to change the route. Right clicking a Home Market works just like “Set Home Market”: return leg traders auto update their current cargo to the new amount while empty carts continue towards the Target while remembering the new Home. Right clicking a Target is identical to the “Trade” command: return leg traders will drop cargo and go there immediately (even if it’s the same Target, which is not ideal), while empty carts go towards the new Target immediately. Shift-Right click is extremely dodgy and can result in no change to the route or idle traders, so I would strongly discourage its use.

So to be clear, if a trader is on the return leg with resources and the Target is changed, he loses his carried goods and starts the new route. On the other hand, if the Home is changed, his carried goods automatically updates to the new value and he continues to drop off without needing to visit the Target again. Unlike AoE2, there is no “dud trip” where he uses the old amount for a longer route. This can be used to your benefit when mass-producing a trade route: Build your ideal Home far away from your target, then more markets near the Target market. The additional markets can be rallied at your Home then shift queued to the Target, and produced traders will immediately start the route at the Target and skip the first trip.

Sea routes are vastly more pop space efficient. If a land route produces X gold, a sea route of the same length provides 2X gold and X wood, and trade boats move at 1.5 Tiles/second and upgrade to 1.725 while land traders are 1 T/s and don’t have an upgrade. They are more expensive and take longer to build, and water is of course harder to fortify, and there’s French out there.

Trade ships do seem to bump a lot, especially if their route hugs a coastline.

Now a couple of Mongol specific points. The Silk route counts the sum total of both land and sea traders, they don’t need to be on the same route or share either Home or Target.

Traders will update their carried gold while a packed market is moving, but can’t drop off until the market unpacks, so this is almost certainly trivia.

The Yam speed bonus from outposts applies to both land and sea traders even before the Castle Age/Deer Stones upgrade. Units also retain this buff for 20s after leaving the area, so you don’t need to coat the route in outposts (although more vision and garrison space is always valuable). The Khan’s Maneuver Arrow also applies to traders, so I think for the next 5s this Yam/Sail/Arrow sea trader is the fastest economic unit in the game:

Lastly, when in Observer/Replay mode, it appear the coastal trade posts are owned by Rus/English hybrids with vanguard man-at-arms, early knights, spearmen and archers. So you better watch out if they ever they ever swap diplo and fight back. Land trade posts on the other hand are completely harmless.

3 Likes

Amazing post. A couple of things I misunderstood though.

“Lastly, when in Observer/Replay mode, it appear the coastal trade posts are owned by Rus/English hybrids with vanguard man-at-arms, early knights, spearmen and archers. So you better watch out if they ever they ever swap diplo and fight back. Land trade posts on the other hand are completely harmless.”

Do you think this is just an observer mode bug and there’s no real potential for a coastal trade post to turn enemy/produce military?

"

Build your ideal Home far away from your target, then more markets near the Target market. The additional markets can be rallied at your Home then shift queued to the Target, and produced traders will immediately start the route at the Target and skip the first trip."

What do you mean here by shift queue? You mean set the rally point of these additional markets to your home market then keep checking the traders being produced by them so you can hold shift and click your home then your target market?

1 Like

Do you think this is just an observer mode bug and there’s no real potential for a coastal trade post to turn enemy/produce military?

I was attempting a joke, it’s surely a bug. But a very weird bug that it’s that unit set it thinks it can make… I don’t think it has to do with the player you’re observing and they all say “Not accessible”.

What do you mean here by shift queue?

Rallies will accept shift-queued commands, generally. So you can rally around an enemy base for example, or in this case, to both your market and then a neutral one. You should be able to see in the image the blue line of the rally point coming from the market I have selected, which goes across the map and then returns to that neutral site.

2 Likes

Wow I never knew that a building’s rally point could use shift queues. So you’re saying I can select my TC, hold down shift then left click the North of the map and then the South and every produced villager will walk to the very North then all the way to the South? Amazing!

Hello, quick question. Do you have the function for the other maps too :)…

Greetings DG

I don’t, but I think they are displayed in the youtube video by Waddling Duck titled " AoE4 - Trader Gold/sec for each map size (and efficiency tips)". He doesn’t actually list the formula per se but has the graph for each size (and for different civs and stuff)

EDIT: I guess I can’t do external links

1 Like

Thank you.

I creat own function for micro, middle and big map :slight_smile:

Nice post.

Have to say trading is so ridiculously broken on certain civs and on larger maps

23min game even when like 10-15 traders died in feudal / castle

This post was made at about the launch of the game, where trade was very good on 3v3 and larger. They’ve just made trade better so it’s maybe passable in 1v1, which is to say it’s completely busted in 2v2 and higher.

You haven’t lived until you’ve been French with Chamber of Commerce on 4v4. A perfectly balanced and flexible, Imp level income starting early Feudal. It’s pretty filthy.

There were a couple vids a looong time ago that cover the some details about map sizes and income and the maximum net income of the basic 8 civs.

##########################################################
The channel seems dead unfortunately, but the vids are a convinent background for land trade details.

Some personal notes with respect to sea trade is that the best sea trades seem like they might be French, Otto, and Abba right off the bat. French iirc has an unconditional +50% trade boost to water trade (stacks with Chamber of Commerce?) and can choose a main resouce, Otto have a gigantic income/speed/armor boost with Sea Gate Palace since that makes more sense on water maps (keeps on neutral docs for buff and fighting ships), and Abba just have a slightly lower income for a more practical trade system.

1 Like

Haha, that’s the channel I tired to link to but the filter went mad. My original post was made at about the same time as those were made.

I hope it continues to change, but all of this is so theoretical as to be pointless to consider. To trade (which is excellent regardless of civ), you need to win water and that will happen probably early Feudal and not based on your potential trade income. Especially in the case of Otto, the boost could be to give inf gold per trip but so long as it’s stuck behind an Imp landmark choice and building 2+ keeps not on the frontline it can’t meaningfully be good. Water is too valuable to have not decided the game before this effect can even be chosen.

To steal some terminology from card games, these are all “win more” bonuses, and it’s probably better for your win percentage to ignore them.