Some ideas of renaming/remodeling artillery units

Sometimes gun is translated as pistola, but it really means cañón here.

Artillery in early modern era wasn’t standarized. So you have falconet that looked like culverins and viceversa. Only in the end of modern era we have standarization (Gribeauval system, french card)

If I remember well, there was a type of artillery called “gónada”, its name also comes from “gun”, wasn’t it?

Let me guess, you got that from WotTA.

The “Gonada” were gunnades used in the Rio de la Plata area whose names were just translated into spanish in the crudest manner. The Gunnade in turn is a 1820ish development of the Royal (british) navy that combined cannons (gun as per their designation) with carronades. Thus, gunnade.

Mi pregunta a hacia el termino organ gun era si llamarla asi o simplemente cambiarleel nombre, se lo que es una entandarización de artilleria, si uno de mis sistemas favoritos de artilleria fue el krupp xd pero igual gracias

Seems that Gatling Elephants were more real that Gatling Camels, at least we have photos. But it doesn’t seem, like Gatling Camels, that were used at all at a real conflict.

Well, I don’t know much about history like all of you, but I suppose Japan could acquire machine guns through the consulate with the ‘Meiji Restoration’.

The idea comes from watching the movie ‘The Last Samurai’

I feel this thread need more discussion!

• I’d love to see Imperial aesthetic upgrade for arty

• There totally be Howitzers. They should be the gun in the middle of Falcs and Mortars - medium range seige artillery. In game they could do the most seige damage but would lack the range if the cheaper mortars. Uses explosive shells and can fire at units however it’s slow.

• Falconets should be Sakers (most Euros had equivalent/similar names). Failing that, let’s go with the 5 Pounder. Falconets were pea shooters!

• Introduce more Merc or even Royal Euro House artillery units to add more interesting options without interfering too much with the Euro civ rosters. For example the House of Hannover could also include Grasshopper Guns (Grasshopper cannon - Wikipedia). Lots of other interesting guns have also been mentioned here on this thread.

3 Likes

Maybe some civilisations could have access to the Howitzer which will replace both the [Mortar] and the [Horse Artillery] for them, just like how it would work for the Russians if they get the Licorne howitzer in the future which I suggested in an earlier comment in this thread. By doing this it won’t overlap with the roles of other units, because it would probably be redundant for a civilisation to train both Mortars and Howitzers if the latter is going to fill a similar role to the Mortar by being an effective anti-building unit.

I’d go for a 5 pounder cannon, in terms of looks, or name it after another cannon rather than renaming the [Falconet] to “Saker”.

The Saker cannon seems to have strong ties to the English in terms of use, therefore I am in favour of making it into a unique unit for the British. But I wouldn’t be too bothered if the [Falconet] got renamed to Saker.

Maybe the [Falconet] could be renamed to [Battalion Gun], since it is the general name for the specific type of artillery that was first used by armed forces which was for supporting infantry.

1 Like

5 Pounder would look so awkward as an unit name though.

1 Like

@HoopThrower You have a good point. “5 pounder” just refers to the weight of the shot that the cannon fires, so it would be weird if it just got renamed to that. I spent some time trying to find a cannon with a particular name that fired a 5 lbs cannonball but I haven’t been successful.

Sakers were 5 - 6 pdrs, and were used by many Euros under different names (Sacres for Spanish for example). There’s nothing inherently English about it aside from the English name (who would have thought! :wink: )

1 Like

Much like the post a few messages above, in the 19th century field pieces were called “Foot Artillery”, so that’d be a pretty fitting name for what the role of the unit is imo.

1 Like

related unrelated - - does it bug anyone else that all new artillery has no pack/unpack animation. only euros and s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ civs with euro artillery tacked awkwardly onto their roster have to deal with the limber mode

A bit off topic but it would be nice if area denial damage was introduced to the game by adding a new technology called the “Carcass Shot” which would be available from the [Arsenal] building.

After researching this technology the [Mortar] and Bomb Ketch (Monitor) will gain a special ability where they will shoot a cannonball that will set the area that it strikes on fire.

This fire will spread out to a certain radius and last there for a certain amount of time, which will damage any enemy unit that is inside of it. There could also be a second but smaller damaging radius outside the fire that will poison enemy units, but the poison won’t harm buildings and ships.

I created a post last year where I suggested that the Carcass Shot could be added to the game.