Some scenario editor questions

I’ve recently started using the scenario editor for the first time in probably about 20 years, and I have some questions about things that I’ve either forgotten or never knew. I’m hoping someone can help me out with them!

• If I recall correctly, it’s possible to delete sections of cliffs (useful, for example, for making bridges), but I can’t work out how. How do I do it?
  • What’s the best way to create a forest using trees from the Gaia units menu? If you just place the units, the forest doesn’t show up on the minimap. My current method is to place a regular forest, delete the trees, then place the Gaia trees - but it’s time-consuming and difficult to get right.
  • Is there a way to do map copy? (Possibly using a third-party editor if necessary.)
  • What determines the civilisation and age for Gaia? There doesn’t seem to be a way to set it, but I’ve definitely seen different possibilities for it appear in different scenarios.
3 Likes

Hey,

Q1: With the delete button for units.
Q2: Why? :joy:
Q3: Yes, but maybe you must ask Google. I dont know the path from the files.
Q4: Unfortunately you cant change the age for gaia units in AoE1. That would to be to good. Gaia is always in stone age.

Many greetings.

3 Likes

Thanks.

1. Yeah, that’s what I thought, but it doesn’t work for me. Hmmm…
  2. Because otherwise I have to use one of the six (?) preset forests. If I want e.g. a forest primarily of oak trees, there’s no easy way to place one. I guess it might be a bit weird to care very specifically about what my map’s forests look like…
  3. Whoops, I meant “map copy” as in copying a section of a map and pasting it either into another map, or somewhere else in the same map - like the map copy tool in the AoE II editor.
  4. Having played around with it, it seems like if the player starts in Bronze or Iron Age then Gaia has Iron Age architecture - but functionally its units are all Stone Age, i.e. no upgrades.

No, thats not possible.

If you create your map within the original AoE RoR there is a tool called RockNRor that offers the functionality of copy and past.
I just learned about that today.
I’m working right now on a hex editing tool where it might be possible later on. But as it would be hex based it would only work outside the game while RockNRoR integrates this and much more into the ingame Editor.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,6576,,30

https://aoemodder.wixsite.com/rocknror/editor

1 Like

Thanks. Will maps made with this be playable in AoE1DE/editable in the DE scenario editor?

(Also, obviously I’d forgotten I’d posted those questions!)

Yes they are! But you can’t edit DE Maps in legacy.
When you open them and save them they will be ported to DE and not be editable with legacy again.

1 Like