Spearman & Skirmishers +20% HP as a new bonus for Bengalis

I disagree. This doesnt fix anything, even though it fits

I also disagree with this tbh. It would be good, but I doubt it would be that hard to balance

Although I would swap the last infantry armour for champion

3 Likes

What do you mean?
Losing champion to gain the last infantry upgrade?

Yeah I meant that. Otherwise it would feel a bit lame imo

1 Like

The problem with this is it hurts them in meso and other PA-heavy infantry match ups. Where they’re already struggling with no HC or mobile heavy cav to force the opponent to reposition.

They would have FU 2HS without supplies. Isn’t the champ much better for this purpose.?

Combined with their pop efficient late game, is potentially why their trash is subpar. (lacking armour on spears)

1 Like

Eh I think its a fair trade off. At best just give them the last armour with no trade off

I dont think buffing their trash would make them OP in any situation really

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Was just trying to think why the Devs gave them that tech layout.

I would still prefer to see elephant buffs EA and BE. So we have more diversity(like how unique gruj and Hindus are), and then possibly the civ won’t need a trash buff anyway.

But reckon it won’t hurt to buff the trash anyway to give them more options/better support

2 Likes

I will start giving them Bombard Cannon, so they don’t die hard to halb+ SO on Arena (Bengali eco isn’t even comparable to Khmer insane Boom + better tech tree).

Also, a Dark age bonus could work here (Foragers carry +15 food) or a good Monk bonus (Like Monks move 20% faster, but then remove Fervor).

TBH, I think Bengalis struggle more against cavalry and camel civs more than others. Both Ratha and Elephants are slower than them and can’t force an engagement. A monk bonus will help in that regard. But as already pointed out, it will be more of an Arena strategy which some players really hate. And in open maps, I don’t think this bonus alone will solve Bengalis problem.

Edit: Best and worst match ups of Bengalis.

Their trash will still be average. Halb without last armor but +12HP is same as generic and FU LC is also average. Only skirmishers with extra HP is the one better than generic which still lacks TR.

Will you still give them extra HP for spearman after that?

They don’t really die to halb SO. Khmer have no ranged units vs SO while bengalis have elephant archers which does decent damage and doesn’t die in 1 or 2 hits. Also they have great monks. This comp should beat halb SO if it’s not vs teutons.

Giving bengali bbc might not be broken but it’ll make the civ extremely strong. If you get to post imp bengali already are very powerful. The only situation where they struggle a bit is vs early imp pushes.

They already have arguably the best eco for arena so certainly no need to give them a third eco bonus.

1 Like

Champions don’t add anything over 2HS against Eagle Warriors, they only have +10HP. Given Bengalis struggle a lot against all trash units, giving them better trash busters might be a good idea I think

They do have quite a good eco bonus though and a very strong lategame with multiple options. So being one dimensional in the midgame is not a huge problem.
It might be that it turns out to be not enough, I’m just not convinced that we already have enough experience with that civ to make that call.

1 Like

You have to reach the late game first though.

Yes absolutely. I just dont think it would be interesting to have tanky spearmen and also lose the last armour

That’s another reason not to give them BBC. Monk with Redemption+Block Printing usually works fine against Onager and SO.

And early to mid castle age as well. Both Elephants (especially EA) and Ratha need to be massed. And Ratha is not only locked behind castle but also needs tons of upgrades to be effective.

I agree.

And +1 attack. A bit diverting from this topic but I think Champion upgrade cost is very huge compared to the stats improvement.

Well in that case, Bengalis will have one of the best Halb in the game. I’m personally not liking this.

In that case give them something else that isnt extra hp on halbs? Either way their late game is limited to elephants and rathas so better trash wouldnt be too OP

Reminds me of Byzantines and Lithuanians. Good gold units and good trash units at the same time. Neither of them have as good eco as Bengalis though.

JokerPenguin’s regeneration suggestion was good. IDK why you want last infantry armor for them so badly though. They are weak against cav civ as the per all the stats but I don’t think last armor is an issue for that.

Byzantines discount is an extremely powerful bonus (way better than stronger trash units) as well as thumb ring and cheaper imperial age and Lithuanians get a bonus for a meta unit (knights) and a really good one. Lithuanians also get better early aggression

If we are going to make Bengali halbs tanky not giving the last armour is kind of silly imo, it would just make their spearmen average

On the other hand Bengalis not having any FU meta units is really their biggest weakness imho.

In late game only. In Feudal and Castle, above average.

Good trash and eco should make up for that imo

But whats the problem with giving them good halbs? It would be weird to have tanky halbs without the last armour

It also wont make their late game much crazier since their good late game units are already good vs cav

(I meant you don’t need Champions to beat Eagles because 2HS perform EXACTLY the same, so you can save the res and pump out more 2HS :slight_smile: )