Spearman & Skirmishers +20% HP as a new bonus for Bengalis

I mean, it might not be a great solution, but it’s the cheapest and easiest way for devs to change.

Anyway, I’d be more than welcome to see the cheaper Monasteries and the armor share bonus instead of buffed trash units.

The fact US that they are not a CA, they are also a cavalier in one unit. This makes them extremely hard to counter since they can tan over skirmisher in melee mode. Aldo they elite upgrade does not cost Gold do it’s Easy to have av army of them and basically split then half in range and half melee and they are deadly

I agree with armor share one. Cheaper monastery isn’t useful against archer civs. I think they need a help both against cav and archer civ.

Not actually. Even in melee mode without PT, they take a huge damage from Skirmishers. Also they are slower and clunkier than other CA units.

1 Like

Useful against cavalry civilization is pretty enough.

4 more villagers give the Bengalis a decent economy to afford the crossbowmen in the castle age. Let them use this to compete fairly with other archer civilizations, instead of having more buffed units to deal with any problem, otherwise they would have almost no weakness.

1 Like

I can’t decide whether I should agree or disagree. On paper they are still a solid civ that should be okay in open maps and above average in closed maps. But in reality they are not even getting 40% win rate. I bet no one ever imagined that will happen. So having a buffed trash unit may not be as strong as you are thinking. I’m not denying your concern either.

Is the inspiration behind cheaper monastery for Bengalis Pala Empire building lots of Viharas? The wonder Sompura Mahavihara used to be the largest monastery in Indian subcontinent during that time.

I mean you gotta take into account it’s maybe not completely figured out yet. Imagine if the Chinese had been released this april and people saw them as second bottom o( probably just bottom cuz it’s new), imagine all the buff proposals that would pop up.

With the substantial difference that at high levels Chinese win rate goes dramatically up, Bengalis goes or stay down.
So either all players, noobs and pros alike, are using the civ wrong, or the civ is really weak.

The Pala Empire was the center of Buddhism in the world at that time. While tolerating other religions, the emperors actively sponsored the promotion and research of Buddhism.

Their territory is also the place where the Buddha was born, and it was the place where Buddhism flourished until the introduction of Islam. In the seventh century, Master Xuanzang from China visited and stayed there to study. Then in the eighth century, the Pala Empire was established.

I wouldn’t give them extra hp really because this is just basically Viet and Viking combined. Maybe just let them trained faster by 15%.

I know that. Just want to know if that’s why you are emphasizing more on cheaper monastery?

This bonus is quite decent, not too strong but effective in helping the Bengalis use monks to survive the mid game, and echoes the Buddhist characteristics that the civilization emphasizes. More importantly, this was a bonus that another civilization had, so players would feel more familiar and receptive to it.

1 Like

That’s a good argument tbh.

I disagree about this a lot. Better spearman and skirmishers should be fine

1 Like

Fine, but not suitable.

Amassing a solid economy to train a large number of gold units to overwhelm opponents is the desired role for the Bengalis.

What they really need is a more efficient gold unit strategy, so I’d rather simply give them infantry plate armor or thumb ring than better trash. (Of course, it doesn’t mean that I think that giving infantry plate armor or thumb ring is the solution)

Trash with extra bonuses are even better than common trash in the Castle age. Even if this isn’t too disruptive to balance, it’s clearly not what Bengalis should be like.

The role of the Bengalis is “the elephant civ”. And they cant just be that.

I think strong trash units would make the civ more interesting tbh

Well. I think if they get better trash, it just makes them more boring.

1 Like

I dont see how tbh. They are rn extremely one dimensional and its not like if they had an strong identity like Poles for example

Like, I enjoy Eles, but I see no reason to not give them an alternative beyond the UU

1 Like

The other golden units. Crossbowmen, monks, are more in line with the Bengalis’ characteristic that economic support for expensive units than trash.

Archers arent expensive and arent clunky unlike the other Bengali units. I dont think archers would fit better than trash with what you see as their identity (which tbh I dont think thats an interesting identity unlike many other civs as I mentioned before)

Monks sure, but that wont help the civ be better on arabi
Also I still dont think that being the “eco and elephant only civ” translates to the expensive units civ.

1 Like

Because then it would be probably too good on arena.