SSS English tier incoming

English

• Man-at-Arms train time reduced from 22 to 15 seconds

• Vanguard Man-at-Arms armor increased from 2 to 3

• Abbey of Kings healing rate increased from 4 health/1.5 seconds to 6 health/ 1 second

• Starting Wood increased from 150 to 200

Build Order: queue 2 vils, all vils go to build barracks and buy 1st Maa, go enemy gold mine in 1m30s, they gg in 2 mins

1 Like

I think such buff is inappropriate. Devs don’t change the fact that English has a monotonous and easily predicted strategy but make them more unstoppable in Age 2. Instead, they should buff the landmarks in Age 3.
Also, Abbey of Kings should heal fighting units, and the increase in healing rate might be less of importance.

Balance aside what I dont get is why would you give something like 15 seconds MAA not to THE MAA civ HRE.
Instead randoming this in for the English?

I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to do a Mongol tower rush in Dark Age with English and MAA.

If Mongol can do it why can’t English lol. Set up a tower over a gold mine and sit a few MMA inside it.

Seems like it could have potential.

Considering the English has been a bottom 2 civ for the past many patches, some kind of buff was needed. I’m mildly concerned extra starting wood will buff their early game too much which is the one thing it didn’t need.

Buffs like this are unheard of for a civ thats already doing well.

The devs did the same for Delhi with the Berry buff and now look where we are. Delhi is constantly banned because everyone knows its overpowered. Even worse than Mongols.

You must not give 50 starting wood and faster MAA production for English.

Also Abbasids are going to become overpowered with these changes. Its good to see changes to Camels, but stop buffing the top civs while you nerf Chinese! Abbasids are already a top civ.

Its the combination of faster Age up, not having to use villagers, so straight up more ressources gathered + Berries now gathering faster than Deer and Abbasid villagers only costing 25 food after fresh foodstuffs. And ontop of that you have gold Age.

The problem is Abbasids have such a smooth game but raiding them is almost not worth it because losing 25 villagers doesn’t matter if you are on 2 TC. You can simply trade villagers against units with 2 TC like HRE does with their Age IV Landmark.

Currently its very difficult to punish Abbasids because of their cheap villagers.

But the real question is, how did English get by without a single nerf while Chinese got massive nerfs on Granaries and Imperial Officials? And just now another nerf on the Clocktower, their only strong Landmark. I’m not even saying English needs a nerf. But the fact that Chinese out of all civs are getting nerfed even further makes no sense.

Chinese is at the bottom of both winrate and pickrate after their got their only good Landmark nerfed.

Granaries are useless for a laughable 10% gather rate boost, which in practice is going to be no more than maybe 6 %or 7%. And even if you stack them you get maybe 8-10 villagers for a 750 wood investment? Thats a scam. Players are already not investing into economy upgrades past the 2nd one because they never pay off.

Granaries will never pay off with their 250 wood cost and terrible gather rate bonus.
This is not a buff. This does not justify the huge nerfs on Imperial Officials.

Also why do prelates suddenly get another movement speed buff? Do we want Prelates running around stealing all the relics just like Warrior Monks did? Warrior Monks were nerfed because of this exact reason! Now the devs are going to repeat the same mistake…

I was looking forward to these Chinese changes, but these Chinese nerfs cannot be justified. Even worse, some of the changes to other civs have potential to completely break the balance.

English already have some of the best Landmarks in the game. They must not be buffed. English is in a fine spot. Its predictable, but thats because players having been doing the exact same strategies since game relase. And it keeps working! This is a sign of a strong civ!

The Age 3 Keep Landmark is worth more than 1100 ressources. Its a Keep, thats worth 800 stone. But ontop it can also produce siege. A siege workshop is 300 wood. It can also produce other units. Thats 150 wood for a barracks or 150 for an Archery range.

The other Landmark is a free Town Center! Thats massive.

Now compare this to Chinese Landmarks which have been inferiour to all other Landmarks ever since release. The Clocktower got massive nerfs. And now its been nerfed again. Every Chinese player has been asking to get useful Landmarks for once. The Great Wall gatehouse is still the biggest joke Landmark in the entire game. And yet the English got changes for their Abbey of Kings, but no change for an even worse Landmark.

The other Landmark is a free Town Center! Thats massive.

really? and what about the HRE landmark town center? Sorry but this landmark is just a expensive town center, without any special features.

But the real question is, how did English get by without a single nerf while Chinese got massive nerfs on Granaries and Imperial Officials? And just now another nerf on the Clocktower, their only strong Landmark. I’m not even saying English needs a nerf. But the fact that Chinese out of all civs are getting nerfed even further makes no sense.

ok could you explain why you wanna nerf english? makes no sense. The fact is, everyone hates siege, maybe thats the reason for the clock tower nerf?

Buffs like this are unheard of for a civ thats already doing well.
at the moment english has 49% win rate. So you really think its ok? You dont have many options if you play english. I would prefer a 3. age boost, but we will see.

English is the worst civ right now except in some maps and match-ups IF there is bad woodline for opponent.

A single tower on gold should effectively stop that MAA push. You need at least 5 to push a tower, and by the time you produce 5 (thats 750 resources spent for barracks+5 MAA) you enemy is already in feudal making better untis.

It is a rebuildable TC. Its also not expensive, as you must spend those resources to age up anyway.
The HRE point is also not valid. HRE get a x3 cheaper and faster TC for their Imperial age. Its not that good because of the timing you get it. When advancing to the Imperial age, in most games you will already have about 80 villagers which is almost the cap on how many vils you want. so having the ability to produce some more faster and cheaper isnt much at that timing. Its all about timing.

Agreeing with you there