Steam & AoE4 ¿?

Hi all!

I had a question … :stuck_out_tongue:
Will Steam work with Age of Empires IV?
It is to know if you can buy a physical edition or just digital.
And in the case of physicist, what surprises will bring a collection edition. ^^

Hi

I am no physicist, but I think we have to wait and see about that.

There’s almost nothing known about this game yet. We have to wait and see, however I wouldn’t be surprised if they only make it available on the Windows Store.

Only speculation at this point.

I hope the game will play on Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.

I have Win 8.1 and I will certainly not change it for the game.
I also wanted to buy the Age of Empires definitive edition but when it’s just for Win 10, it’s their bad luck.
Certainly the game would be bought by more people, but many people do not want Win 10

@BeetleRock20367 said:
I hope the game will play on Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.

I have Win 8.1 and I will certainly not change it for the game.

I also wanted to buy the Age of Empires definitive edition but when it’s just for Win 10, it’s their bad luck.

Certainly the game would be bought by more people, but many people do not want Win 10

On the official stream it’s been said AoE4 will be Windows 10 exclusive just like all the Definitive Editions.

hope it will be on steam. they’ll be expanding the player base dramatically and get:

• first of all more sales
  • more servers
  • more mods / maps via the steam workshop
  • … random things …
  • pleased community :smiley:

@Kruuly said:
hope it will be on steam. they’ll be expanding the player base dramatically and get:

• first of all more sales
  • more servers
  • more mods / maps via the steam workshop
  • … random things …
  • pleased community :smiley:

Steam haven’t dedicated servers.

Since it is microsoft publishing the game there is a snowstorm’s chance in ■■■■ that it will be launched on steam, since XBoxlive is also being used for pc games.

There is a chance that aoe4 will get on steam a few years after it’s release though, because that happened with the other aoe games as well.

And about windows 10. W10 is basically spyware made for the NSA by microsoft, which means that microsoft is getting paid to get as many people as possible on windows 10 (yes read the user agreements before installing, it is Hitlers biggest wetdream of surveillance ever).

@BAJOLI said:
Since it is microsoft publishing the game there is a snowstorm’s chance in hell that it will be launched on steam, since XBoxlive is also being used for pc games.

There is a chance that aoe4 will get on steam a few years after it’s release though, because that happened with the other aoe games as well.

And about windows 10. W10 is basically spyware made for the NSA by microsoft, which means that microsoft is getting paid to get as many people as possible on windows 10 (yes read the user agreements before installing, it is Hitlers biggest wetdream of surveillance ever).

Facebook knows more about you. What if steams does… too?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLBwNmySIMVJZb4LKrLBRmsYKx_V2Gy9N8oVyMKhHO34AaFOAplg![](/uploads/editor/nh/cr2n9qrmkv8h.png “”)

It still surprises me how eager everyone is to hand Valve a complete monopoly over PC gaming, when just four years ago I remember people whinging about how they DIDN’T want everything to require Steam. Steam is nice, but it seriously is not the most important thing to play games on.

I have tons of titles off of GOG (Good old Games), many recent releases, that are perfectly fine without needed to be run through Steam. Even have some on EA’s Origin (that platform that everyone seemed to INSIST was spawned from Satan’s own butt hole) that hasn’t been even half as bothersome as people claimed. And yes, so far besides the strange UI, I’ve not seen what is so god awful about the XBox Live/ Windows Store platform that everything is DOOOOMED if it isn’t released elsewhere.

And to those who insist “oh but Steam has a bigger market”, guess what? Back in 2004 physical stores had a bigger market than Steam. They still managed to get stuff together and overtake. And in the mean time, EA, Ubisoft and importantly, BLIZZARD all seem to be doing just -fine- with some of their titles being exclusive to their platform. ■■■■, Blizzard is one of the absolute biggest names in the business without needing Steam. Given that Microsoft - and critically, Age of Empires as a brand- have a history of holding that crown too, it’s not a stretch to believe that they’ll be able to survive without the assistance once more.

Which is all to say… it is not the end of AOE if Microsoft decides they want you to buy their game on their officially run platform, the same way a ton of publishers do.

Far as Windows 10 goes; it -is- the most current OS, so it’s hardly surprising that MS only cares to support it. I mean, they basically said that was their plan for ALL software (not just games). Didn’t they discontinue Windows 7 support in general before Windows 8.1 was even out? Now, I agree that Windows 7 was pretty awesome, but yeah… we’re a couple of generations past by now, it’s pretty unrealistic to expect it to be getting anything shiny here on out.
(And honestly, I’m pretty okay with 8 and 8.1 being left behind… absolutely hated those two myself. )
(Last one is my personal opinion, if you liked it, power to you, i’m glad you had a better time with them than I did).

… ekhm… pardon the rant. I might need more coffee. Or less. Not sure which…

1 Like

I don’t mind for a different platform than Steam as long as it is well made and functional. Imagine a nice and clean platform with good and functional features where we could easily switch between our AOE games, something like Battlenet.
So far, Microsoft Store is no way near that, actually I don’t even understand what it is exactly, is it an app, is it a webpage, do we at least have a friends list, how do I invite friend? So I hope it either improves fast or they release it to Steam as well.

@IamDalv said:
I don’t mind for a different platform than Steam as long as it is well made and functional. Imagine a nice and clean platform with good and functional features where we could easily switch between our AOE games, something like Battlenet.
So far, Microsoft Store is no way near that, actually I don’t even understand what it is exactly, is it an app, is it a webpage, do we at least have a friends list, how do I invite friend? So I hope it either improves fast or they release it to Steam as well.

Clean, only GoG. Nice features I don’t need too much.

I want AoE4 to make a lot of money so we keep getting more and more content and games. If the people at MS who know the numbers think the best path to success is not paying valve and doing it on their platform, then fine. It’s not changing my decision to buy it.

@Augustusman said:

@BAJOLI said:
Since it is microsoft publishing the game there is a snowstorm’s chance in hell that it will be launched on steam, since XBoxlive is also being used for pc games.

Facebook knows more about you. What if steams does… too?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLBwNmySIMVJZb4LKrLBRmsYKx_V2Gy9N8oVyMKhHO34AaFOAplg![](/uploads/editor/nh/cr2n9qrmkv8h.png “”)

Google me up Scotty. :wink:

The EU-US Privacy Shield is definitely Hitler’s wet dream, it’s comparable with IBM’s (Big Blue) tabulator machines designed by Hollerith. Remarkable fact and coincidence is that Herman Hollerith also was a son of German immigrants in the United States.

No safe harbor at all. :confused:

I think there’s a chance they might make it a Windows store exclusive, but I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see. I think they’d miss out on a lot of cash if they decide not to release it on Steam, though.

@IamDalv said:
You are very true my friend @IamDalv But think of MS store as an app store which sell you pc “apps” (games). There is no DRM, so when you boot your computer and have a game installed, just double click and poof you go. Just like Steam, it also auto updates your games. And yes just like every win 10 app you can force shut this app via win shell command. What people forget is the OS is DRM. OS DRM is present in almost every game. There are shortcuts and community patches which can fix this issue.

What makes MS store more cluttered mess is, they don’t have a good filtering options. When you are on PC it thinks you are using one of their MS phones, meaning it just puts everything in front of you. It can certainly use some good filtering options AND search by query features. It is also tied to your WIN 10 Xbox account so if you have a friend in your XBOX list, he/she will be able to see you in game, or in app when you online. So it will be up to you which to use to invite him/her to game. MS store, sucks yes for another reason, that is it has slower download rate, so for every GB you can add 10-20 min more to what it usually take in Steam or GOG or battlenet per say. These two are the major complaints by us the gamers, and I hope as MS is taking more and more step toward PC, they fix these issues among others. Good thing about their store is an Xbox app. There are a lot of social features there which Steam can only dream about. (not being fan but giving you facts).

If MS are stubborn enough to insist that all of these new AoE games are going to be exclusive to a single OS and a single store (their own), then they’re obviously going to pay the price for that. The metacritic scores for AoE: DE are pretty bad, and I’m going to assume it didn’t sell that well.

AoE IV should be by far the best-selling of these new games, but it’s still only going to shift a small fraction of what it otherwise would have had it also been available on Steam.

If MS want to go down this road, more fool them, frankly.