Steam Sync files being overwritten

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.3552.0 (and since release)
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Steam Cloud Sync cannot keep two computers’ savegame files, including home cities, decks, and campaign progress together.
AOE3DE saves its progress in %userprofile%\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE*long string of numbers which might or might not be unique*\Savegame.
On launch, the game copies the contents from there to the Steam Cloud Sync folder, overwriting what Steam Cloud Sync downloaded.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

100% of the time on startup or exit

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Create save files on one PC by launching AOE3DE, completing a Skirmish or Campaign mission, then exiting AOE3DE.
  2. Launch AOE3DE on a second PC and play another Skirmish or Campaign mission, then exit.
  3. Go back to the first PC. Even after Steam Cloud Sync completes, the progress (campaign or home city levels) from the second PC does not appear.
  4. From this point on, each PC has its own, separate save files and progress.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

The save files and progress should be kept up-to-date by both machines through Steam Cloud Sync.
The Steam version of AOE3DE should treat the Steam Cloud Sync files as authoritative, copying from them upon launch and writing to them when closing.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

Newer Steam Cloud Sync files are overwritten upon launch, erasing leveling progress, campaign progress, and deck changes made on the other PC.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

N/A

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

N/A

:arrow_forward: WORKAROUND

Delete the numbered folder in %userprofile%\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\ before launching AOE3DE.
This causes the game to recreate that folder using Steam Cloud Sync data.

4 Likes

They really should address this issue. I didn’t notice it until I got a new laptop to play AoE 3 DE and now I find that all my home city levels are different from the ones I have on my main PC.

Even when I uninstalled and reinstalled the game on the laptop it kept the same old levels I had on my main PC, which has all my home city levels higher.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reaction @DelphicStriker and thank you @Tonceitoys for bumping the topic. We’re now tracking this issue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Deleting that numbered folder did the trick. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks! If there’s a fix for it in a next update it will greatly be appreciated.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but something similar happened to me. Steam Cloud had my home city files saved (the ones in Documents), and it seems they rewrote new home city files whenever they were updated. Many of my home cities had incomplete decks after some cards were moved or removed, and my game started to have some issues. I disabled Steam cloud and deleted their files from my PC, and started a new game which in turn downloaded new files. Now all those issues are fixed and the standard decks are now complete.

Maybe it happens to some of us, but it seems that disabling steam cloud allows the Documents file to be correctly updated.