Steppe Lancers as a replacement for knight

Mugals used gunpowder delhi sultanate would be a better comparison.If you look at it like that magyars bulgarians lithuanians slavs too should have them.

yes but Mangudai requires castle and +30% Hp plus bloodlines is ridiculous

But Mughals were Central Asian, Delhi Sultanate Middle Eastern

pfff wtf Huns literally were from steppes

it ends up with 98 HP steppe lancers, barely even close to compete with Knights

Delhi was a mamluke sultanate right with turkick origins?

1 Like

Werenā€™t they the direct successor of Ghorids and a fragment from early islamic expansion both Sindh and Delhi and thus diplomatically tied to it.
Unlike the Mughals who had nothing to do with Middle Eastern Politics.

Ghurids are messy to catagorize. However pretty sure the Mamluk dynasty was Turkic and integrated steppe warfare into their strategy somehow

But tbh the current Indian civ is the Mughals aka the heirs of Tamerlane

3 Likes

Yeah you are right the Delhi used their own cav archers against the cav archers of Mongols as per ā€œkings and generalsā€ video.
I agree then. Delhi and Mughal both relate to Central Asia to various extents.

1 Like

I think steppe lancer is about at the right price now. maybe the elite upgrade cost like -400 food then will be perfect.
+1 melee armor is also a good choice.
If the gold and food cost further cut, it will be an S grade unit in late imperial.
Their damage output should be comparable if not better than paladin!

at top level like nicov, viper, themax, they already use lancers to snipe monks, siege, vills and thro the walls.
Just the problem is in imperial war it almost never has a role.
Tatars one should be nearly usable, but they have the crazy-value keshikā€¦

1 Like

i think the tight patrol is a big limit of usage. unlike archers, it only has 1 range. If I am the halbs player, i wont engage fight at that situation

1 Like

I also donā€™t like it how it currently works, as only experienced players can really make use of it.
It would be much better if they had 2 range then also less experienced players who donā€™t know how to stack get them to attack all at once.
The 1 range is just really bad in that context, it makes it basically impossible that players below a certain level can ever make effective use of that unit.

Plus the unit itself if left alone would just attack as soon as the enemy is in range, which means no stacking at all, no unit would advance to close the gap allowing the second line to attack at the same time, meaning unless you always micro them or in big battles where enemy is literally everywhere, youā€™re never going to use that range properly.
I desperately want to like them, but they offer very little imho.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. It is still possible to patrol in enemy units, but it is more demanding and also offers the opponent to get some ā€œfree hitsā€ while performing. Also itā€™s not possible to stack the lancers as much as they used to.
But I canā€™t really test it as it is so heavily depending on the micro of both players. Minimal timing + positioning difference can lead to completely different outcomes there.

1 Like

Iā€™d say both honestly.

I agree with you and want to replace Camel for SL civs. Iā€™ve see n literally hundreds of post asking it replace knight line or scout line but Iā€™m the only one asking to replace camelā€¦
And none of these is happening.

Because Mongols SL have much less HP than that and also 1 less PA.

Thats my point it there is no reason to make Generic SL over knights

I believe that steppe lancers should be a second line cavalry that you mix with knights/keshiks/light cavalry. Itā€™s range will naturally position them to be protected by tanky or cheap units and gives your cavalry an extra punch. For this purpose their stats are fine. They are ā€œglass cannonsā€.

Rather their cost should be brought down a bit to incentivise them more. Iā€™d reduce their gold cost from 40 to 30, and maybe their food cost from 70 to 65. And more importantly, Iā€™d reduce their elite upgrade massively. e.g. reducing food cost from 900 to 600 and gold cost from 550 to 500.

While for this role, they donā€™t miss that melee armor, thematically I also find it silly that they visibly have armor and yet have 0 melee armor. Adding 1 melee armor would give them a little defense against cavalry that could otherwise easily run around the first line of meat shield.

1 Like