Stone costs don´t realy fit

have you ever played a 1v1 on a map with a lot of stone, e.g. Land Nomad? It’s not very fun when the opponent gets a lead/map control and uses that lead to spam Castles, Stone Walls into a unique unit. It makes for a grindy game where the only good approach is a frontal assault approach, similar to how Black Forest would play out. Furthermore, YOU might be the one without stone and resources, so the gameplay could be pretty 1-sided where you get Hussar raided but can’t do the same to the opponent.

Also once the opponent has more than 5-6 Castles, it’s very boring/oppressive to run around the map and see a Castle shooting you everywhere.

Arabia hit a sweet spot of perfect amount of stone for 1v1s.

this would allow you to spam them early/mid Castle age. It’s still a defensive building, it MUST cost stone because it “passively” shoots arrows (in this case it requires Villagers to garrison but still if you compare it to a pure Wood building like Barracks you see that it has a passive attack).

back to our point 1, where this would prolong the dominance of Castles in late game. No, running out of Castles is a good thing and Castles should feel like a limited resource.

so that the game can become every more Black Forest-y where both players turtle and spam siege and some UU? No thanks that sounds incredibly boring and low skill.

agree if you mean Houses, whereby I don’t think houses need THAT big of a nerf but they do need a nerf. Palisades in contrast are probably fine.

trust me, they can do whatever they want, question is: is it worth reworking into the “old” code.

They can do whatever they want as long as the 25 years old game engine allows it.

Look, I dont have time to explain it to you, but THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.

What is your source saying they can do anything? Do you know about the source code of the game which we dont know?

Some of these features just don’t seem to fit well with the game or might seem out if place imo let them be done in new games

Because you do know that you’re wrong. A lot of game mechanics were originally planned but never implemented as the game engine just did not support them.

AS LONG AS THE GAME ENGINE ALLOWS IT.

2 Likes

If stone was accessible to everyone in costs, no one would discuss palisade meta
If TC only cost wood like AoK, Cumans and Britons would be unstoppable.
And I agree with every point of PanCalvus said earlier.

look, the aoe2 source is not the voynich manuscript. the game is literally a bunch of numbers with some being added to, some being subtracted, etc the graphics have been completely overhauled, the user interface, menu, unit commands, pathing, everything, completely overhauled. theres nothing uncrackable or impossible to be changed or altered.

theres no way they could have done any of the things they have already done without full access to the source and everything that goes with it.

im not trying to be a noob and fight with you 2 all day long but its obvious you have no experience programming or making game engines, because if you did you would agree with me.

like i said, they can do whatever they want, its just a matter of why.

oh and to counter your point, why CANT they do whatever they want? Do YOU have some inside knowelege or some insight WE are not aware of? Please, seriously, enlighten us.

Since you are a modder, please make these happen.

1.So Samurai (or any unit) will do ranged attack when target is 1 or more tile away and will do melee attack at close. Also against siege and building it will always do melee attack.
2. Militia line will get an option where they can increase their PA from 1 to 3 but will reduce their speed from 0.9 to 0.6. They can switch into any of the mode - defensive or normal immediately right after command.
3. Knight line will do 2x more attack to the target if it charges more than 3 tiles to the direction of the target. This will have a CD time of 30 seconds. Pretty similar to Coustilier but you actually have to add the effect of moving the knight 3 or more tiles.
4. Spearman will do 3x more attack to cavalry if they initiate the fight face to face. So unit orientation have to be considered, something the game has absolutely no use.

I’d love to use that mod. Thank you in advance.

Game engine doesn’t allow it.

Huh?
So now you are saying that one just can’t do whatever they want?

Yes i am saying the developers cannot add such logic into the game without going back in time.

You just answered your own question.

You clearly have no idea what coding is do you?

2 Likes

You can technically have a unit that can fight melee and ranged by using the villager task enabled like how you hunt a boar and attack a wolf but the AI cant understand this.
points 2 3 4 are charging abilities still partially working in the old cd version but not sure if its still working in DE…
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,44230,,all

But you just claimed the opposite before.

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty easy to implement for units, like Madrash monks but pretty hard for buildings. A unit is either made fully or it’s not made. A building has stages of construction if we implement the current suggetion, this is what will happen.

1. Gather 650 stone.
  2. Place a castle and build it to 25 HP or so.
  3. Delete the foundation.
  4. Get 649 stone back.
  5. Get a new 650 tile of stone back!
  6. 649 stone appeared out of nowhere!!
1 Like

just off the top of my head, the tatar sheep bonus gives the sheep only once the building is completed.

Because the town center being built and the built town center are completely different buildings