Suggestion: Box Formation Change

Box formation is the least useful formation out of the 4 AOE2 formations. Nobody, not even new players who just picked up the game, uses box formation to “protect weaker units on the inside”. It is, however, to keep a small number of units together when microing, but as soon as unit numbers grow to a point where a clear empty space is formed on the inside of the formation, players ditch box formation and go back to line formation instead (nobody likes the empty space).

It would be much more useful for box formation to form a solid box instead of empty box (see picture).

I wouldn’t even mind using that as the default formation.

12 Likes

I dont really see the difference between the filled in box and a standard dense formation. I would like to see the Box tweaked so we could select which units go inside, but that’s a little different.

1 Like

Hows that different from line formation

1 Like

There is no ‘standard dense formation’.

I like this idea. Additionally, the option to have no formation would be welcome, too.

I dont really see the difference between the filled in box and a standard dense formation. I would like to see the Box tweaked so we could select which units go inside, but that’s a little different.

I feel that anyone above 1400 would know the difference between a dense box formation (i.e. box formation with just a few units) and line formation…

Hera in this video explains the difference in detail:

Im sure they will change a function which is 20 years old :rofl:

I like the suggestion. I hear Nicov use it for re-group units amd take less damage in the units closer to enemy units. Maybe could be «solid» when the group you select is the same unit.