Suggestion: Option to disable viewing statistics during a multiplayer game

Although I believe this was part of the original, it seems odd to be able to gain valuable timing information on your opponent(s) through stats in the middle of a multiplayer game. During the game, you can quickly go through the menu and check out various stats… To appease the purists, can we at least have a lobby option to disable this?

Aye. This would be an incredible usefull option!

It is kind of like having a little spy, oh BTW, player 2 stopped making villagers, they must be going to tool now, or they have “largest army” at 7 minutes, they could be rushing me, etc.

People also gets cues from just the score number, so it is probably going to ask if you want no access to achievements menu or score button as well?

@Penelinfi said:
It is kind of like having a little spy, oh BTW, player 2 stopped making villagers, they must be going to tool now, or they have “largest army” at 7 minutes, they could be rushing me, etc.

People also gets cues from just the score number, so it is probably going to ask if you want no access to achievements menu or score button as well?

I think that a disable score/age option could be very useful as well. Especially in certain modes where one may want to hide the strongest player’s score (i.e. FFA).

Hiding this kind of information in general can encourage scouting and/or encourage interesting new strategy. For example, imagine playing with “Random” civs where you cannot simply check the Diplomacy menu to reveal the opponent civilization. This makes scouting that much more critical.

@Penelinfi said:

+1!!

I just had this match with 3 other players FFA and I outplayed them all but not defeated them, Then while I had the highst score they all ganged up on me, by the end of a 2 hour match a random player won without really playing to good

For a Free For All type of match it is more important to have the option to disable the score counter before starting the match.

I wonder if ranked matches should have it or not, as technically looking at the stats is part of the strategy aspect of the game :slight_smile:

Your example, they chose to attack the most dangerous player according to the score, but let the underdog build up and win. In some ways that’s still going to happen regardless of whether the score is there. All part of the parcel, but the option would be good.

In the meantime, try to enjoy the challenge of people gang up - take it as a compliment. Or, play a bluff game so they pick someone else, then blast them all after they’re more exhausted!

1 Like