[Suggestion] The Portuguese

Love those combs, Portugal and the HRE certainly know how to make kettle/war helmets. Superior protection without reducing your vision!

1 Like

Besides the Iberian capacete, Portugal did import a lot of weapons and armour from Central Europe.

1 Like

It does appear that Europe shared a lot of tech with each other. The one thing that is really striking about Europe weapons and armor is the period it is produced in, not necessarily the location. Like one can easily tell the difference between armor worn in the 11th century vs 16th century. However you still get those culturally unique designs such as Gothic, Venetian, and Iberian styles.

1 Like

i like the effort, and some of the ideas

you would seriously need to work out how this no rax and range will work, imo it might be too much effort for what it will yield… either this civ wont be in competitive play (like not even on the ladder) or you are going to have to give it rax and ranges back

even the mongols (the most alien civ) have those buildings. unfortunately aoe4 revolves around a very common set of units.

the moment your tc stops making vils you are at a HUGE disadvantage, further proof is how good france’s eco is thanks to their faster vil production

eco wise vils produced > vil seconds > anything else

if you arent getting vils, its far worse than simply having idle or slower working vils

(im repeating my self to get my point across since so many people seem to not understand this)

sounds cool? how good is this thing? stronger than horsemen at a fraction of the cost?

you’re locked into a single military production building so will simply be outmassed and/or lose map control

so basically a market? why not just build it on the opposite corner of the map? how are you planning to encourage clever use of this?

seems they dont exactly have any eco going for them at all in the early game? even delhi has free tech, scholars (which essentially provide better than free wood for rax, ranges etc, on top of sacred sites and the gold it brings)

Thanks for the feedback.
That is a point that @DoctBaghi actually brought up previously, and my solution would be a building attached to the fortified town center for the Militia Units, it works as an independent building but it has to be attached to the town center.

From there you can train the militia which are Spearman and Archers and Scouts.
They will lose health for example outside the TC area of influence unless accompanied by the Leader unit Fidalgo.

With Feudal you can upgrade Archers to Conto Crossbowmen, and Scouts to Ginetes cavalry that can be produced from the same building.

Spearman can also have a small upgrade, to Municipal Spearman.

With Castle Age if you build one of the Monuments, (Order of Christ) you will have expensive but good Men at Arms and Heavy Knights.

This is suppose to mimic the early Reconquista where fortified frontier town villagers usually had a high degree of readiness to fend off raids and Sieges, but of course weren’t so keen on attacking. They were peasants after all, unless they were summoned to do so. Its here that the leader plays its role, being able to lead some raids. It’s an important unit and your army might melt if not carefull.

It also relies on the Military Orders that were crucial for the Reconquista. I will change a few things around but the essential is this.

Edit I just read the rest of your feedback let me answer:

You have a Militia military building available to build right at the start with your first town center at feudal age.

When aging up you can choose let’s say the Castle of Guimaraes that also has a TC aura to give Militia some range and let’s add the ability to recruit some Cavaleiros Viloes which essentially would be stronger than light cav, faster but weaker than Heavy Knights.

Couple them with Ginetes(light cav with Javelins) from the Militia Building let’s call it armoury in town center you have a mobile raiding force in feudal.

You are right I should not lock military units to a single building.
As Feudal you can build a Order of Christ Chapter House where you can train Men at Arms and Heavy Knights, and keep the Covent of Christ as a age up landmark with the same abilities.

Feitoria would be a small fort, exactly to keep some map control, with the option to garrison units. This would provide the Port player the option to push across the map establish a beach head, since in castle age you can build Barracks.

To early game Eco you build a monastery im feudal that provides eco techs, and you can build farms around it, so it’s an option instead of the mill, and also heals units.

Edit: one thing that came to mind… Portuguese sea border and fishing traditions. Can give a fishing bonus to fishing boats.

Will update OP.

1 Like

First Post updated, I took some of the @PlumpDucklin feedback into consideration, and swapped some Landmarks around to make sense chronologically.

Ot is my intention to create a hybrid civ that can keep your opponent on their toes.

A Portugal player could go for a risky early rush with Militia led by the fidalgo, or focus on feudal to raid with cheap cavalry or with better units from Military Orders.

They could turtle up with castle of Guimaraes or try to rush to Imperial Age for elite Handgunners and Heavy Infantry.

It should be a Jack of all Trades civ, but Master of none.

To be honest, I had previously made some suggestions for projected Portuguese civ. From the updated informations above, however, I would like to see these sorts of improvements:

• Slingers can be added to Portuguese militia pool, namely Fundeiros, with not much attack, but with long striking range(on a par with longbowmen) and ample attack bonus against all forms of infantries and missile units(even more against ranged cavalries)

• Municipal spearmen upgrade can be renamed to Quadrilheiros, not only having stronger attack, but also come with a lot of line-of-sight and passive ability to spot hidden enemy units(for they had been established for metropolitan policing purpose from 138X)

• All new South European civs deserve to have Basilisk upgrade for their cannons(that makes bigger cannons with more striking power and even longer range than French cannons), Portuguese are included.

• Monster ribaudequin upgrade should be opened to Portuguese ribaudequins that allow them to fire triple shots per volley

• Trading function can be added to caravels

• Early carracks can be renamed to Nau, and they can be upgraded to São Gabriel-class carrack(more expensive, but sturdier and have longer striking range than French galleasses)

1 Like

I took into account the Fundeiros and Quadrilheiros suggestions.

I dont think Portuguese should have Organ Guns.
Need to check the Basiliks, dont know much about them.

Grand Carrack already covers the Nau.

OP updated.

Question… the fidalgo is also the explorer right? So I suppose that it’s a cavalry unit, and so it’s vulnerable to spears.

That’s because having such early units can be strong and annoying, but if you can snipe the fidalgo with spears then it’s probably balanced.

It can be an idea. Like, the age 1 archers can be the slingers, then in age 2 the portoghese can access to early xbows, which is something that no civ have at the moment.

I know it because it was something that I wanted to give to my venetians, but then I changed my mind, but you can recycle it if you want.

I was going for Infantry unit so its slower to be honest.

I was just thinking if any civs have acess to ranged units on dark ages. Might get too oppressive.
But definitely xbows on feudal.
I have made quite a few changes, adding Javelin unit with Xbows on feudal aswell.

Need to clean up the OP.

Edit: the Fidalgo on Horse might be better for counter purposes.

It would also be better to explore.

1 Like

Portugal is a worthy civ candidate for Age of Empires! Unlike Japan, the Portuguese did build an empire at the end of AoE4 timeframe. I’m interested in this civ concept and I can’t wait for updates in the OP. Big support for you guys.

@TalVheet Você é português mesmo? Saudações da ex-colônia Brasil :brazil:

1 Like

*Dark Age
**Feudal Age
***Castle Age
****Imperial Age

*Fortified Town Center
Trains Fidalgo,choice of Cavalry or Infantry (Unique Leader Unit AoE buffs units)
Villagers
Scout

*Barracks
*Spear Militia
**Quadrilheiros
***Guisarme Infantry/ Men at Arms
****Ordenancas (Halberd Infantry)
****Aventureiros (Greatsword Elite Heavy Infantry)

**Textiles

*Monastery (Drop off point for food and wood, farms can be built around it)
Increases the rate of gathering of food and wood by 5% on a large radius
***Can store relics to generate gold
***Trains Monks

*Dock
*Fishing boat
*Transport ship
**Galley
**Trade ship
***Caravel
**** Reinforced Deck (unlocks cannons for Caravel)
***Demolition ship
**** Grand Carrack
***Captain Major tech (Fidalgo can board a Caravel or Grand Carrack and it becomes a Flagship=Improved stats)

• Castle of Guimarães (Landmark)
    **Trains Cavaleiros Vilhoes (Light Melee Cavalry)
    AOE buffs.

*Convent of Christ (Landmark)
** Trains Order of Christ Early Heavy Knights
***Can store relics to research tech faster
***Knight of Christ tech for Fidalgo, allows him to capture relics

** Stable
**Trains Scouts, and Cavaleiros Viloes (Light Melee cavalry
** Jinete Upgrade for Scouts (Javelin Light Cavalry)

**Archery Range
**Crossbowmen
**Almorgarvares (Javelin Light Infantry)
*** Conto Crossbowmen
**** Espingardeiros (handgunners)

**Castle of St. George (Landmark)

***Feitoria small defensive fort built near neutral markets, blocks enemy traders, the further away from the player market increases the % of gold gained up to 50%
****Cannon Emplacment tech

***Monastary of Battle (Landmark)
Inspires land units in a large area

*** Tower of Belem (Landmark)
Defensive tower, can only be built on water, heals nearby ships.

****Jeronimos monastery wonder.

Quick and dirty look at what could be some specifics of the Ports tree.

1 Like

Japanese are very popular, I’m sure they will make into the game eventually.

It’s just a concept for fun, I dont see Portugal being added for years to come. It’s all about market sales in my opinion.

Yes, I’m from Portugal, but ex colony is a bit wrong after all before Brasil independence, it was United Kingdom of Portugal and Brasil.
Abraco.

1 Like

Yes the regional styles just really show how different cultures where.

A quick and easy example:
Italian style sallet

German style sallet

1 Like

Decided to add a new eco bonus:
Sesmarias:

Increased how?..

Gather faster for example, like 10% for example.
Sesmarias was the town giving lands to free peasants to stimulate emigration to the recently conquered areas during the Reconquista.

That’s already the britons bonus though…

Maybe the food grows back faster? That way the food near the mill is ready sooner.

I suggest to watch the SotL farming video, because with farms there are more possibilities than just gathering rate.

1 Like

Ah yes 15% around mills.
I’ll think of something.

But my suggestion was actually around house not mill.
Other one could be house costs 70 wood but comes with a smaller size farm and can collect food.