[Suggestion] We need Ranked Lobby

I really would love to make a 1v1 green arabia ranked lobby and wait until someone joins and just play 10 arabia matches 6 hours long. But DE now has taken me the option to do that.

[Suggestion] We need the people from unranked lobbies to come and play matchmake

In order for this to happen they’d need to make Matchmaking good. But I doubt that this is going to happen because it’s very difficult to implement a good Matchmaking system in a game like AoE2 that gets a lot of it’s qualities from having this rich variety of settings.

So instead of making Matchmaking good they decided on making the Lobbies bad to let matchmaking look better. And that’s just sad.

Well personally I like it to see how good I am doing in my custom games however the fact that it can give a win even if I lose a game, is something to be fixed instead.

I find it very obscure the way it’s calculated at the moment. I doubt that much can be “seen” in it.
I’ve seen a lot of profiles who have a win:lose ration of 1:2 and still are climbing and climbing in score.
In HD you started on 1600 and when you played - let’s say a 100 games - lost 67 of it and won 33 - then you’d be maybe at 1400. Certainly you wouldn’t be higher than 1600. But here in DE it seems normal that somebody who loses most of his games ends up hundreds of points higher than where he started.

Yeah. It was a map (in the actual maps in the unranked lobby and not a mod)

Imo there could be even more map options, however you should not be allowed to play 1 map only.

Well there’s a lot of maps I haven’t played, especially custom random maps.

Realized the name of that map: Bogland

I really do not see the issue. How many times do I need to repeat the same thing over and over;

If they are unwilling to make compromises in MM and allow map choice and random civ, then you need a fully featured lobby.

MM is for those that want elo to represent an average across a map pool while a fully featured lobby allows unranked AND ranked play on a seperate ladder with elo shown. A place where players can have controll over settings.

Seriously how hard can it be?

Those that want to eliminate variety of choice within our big community… there is a special place for you. Every popular playstyle diserves their place if you want to call this the definitive edition.

I still say a ranked Regicide game would be decent. Obviously they should probably add a Regicide ELO for it, but It would worth it.
And, the good thing about ranked lobby is that you can play with anyone you like to, even higer ELO players.

In other words, freedom of choice

To be fair though the only thing DE has taken away in that sentence is the word ‘ranked’.

I think you have made reasonable points in the other threads. It in principle wouldn’t affect a bunch of us that don’t play lobbies that often (except with friends say or vs ai) if they introduced a lobby elo.

It’s hard to argue why it shouldn’t/couldn’t be implemented but more so (which I think some people are trying to get across) why it kind of conflicts somewhat with the MM queue at the moment. (This is also @ the others in the thread, I just don’t want to quote/@ everyone).

• It probably makes sense to funnel all players that want ranked games into the one system so game times are quicker - taking away some choices (picking players, your team, which map +other settings) in some sense also should speed things up (thinking of lobby hosts kicking players, changing settings teams, players joining and dropping constantly etc) - and having some standard settings/modes seems reasonable to set a meaning for the ELO rating itself.

• I would’ve thought that the MM elo would be suited to balancing lobby games (which can have a variety of settings) so why are people opposed to using it? If not enough lobby players have a MM rating, why aren’t they interested in playing the 10 or so games to get one and then just going back to lobbies?

• I can understand that people don’t like a variety of things about the MM system at the moment (civ picking vs random civ, map pool vs map choice etc) - some of which will probably be addressed - T90 seems to be very anti - civ picking in some videos.

I think some key points I would say though if a ranked lobby/lobby ranking is introduced is that

1. For tournaments MM Elo/rating is the one thats used as this ‘average rating’ is really how you should judge a player; a lot of tournaments are likely to have a map pool and more than likely civ drafts/civ picking.

2. The obvious - it should be separate from the MM elo (presumably all would be displayed in the lobby as they are now)

3. It should still be standardised in some sense what counts in lobbies and what doesn’t for that rating, since the proponents for it still want to be able to use it to balance games.

You say it like it doesn’t matter. To me it matters a lot becouse thats the way i like to play. Thats why even if aoe 2 De is amazing, i still prefer to play 1v1 arabia on voobly

I do not know know where to post this but Civs like Mayans and those without Stables should have one. What they can build there is the mounted pikeman and skirmishers. They mount on donkeys to make it work.

1 Like

There is a unit called Eagle Warrior / Scout that plays the cavalry role for you.

I know, I understand it does matter, apologies for that.

What I mean though is, looking at

if you changed your sentence to

“I can make a 1v1 green arabia lobby and wait until someone joins and just play 10 arabia matches 6 hours long. DE gives me the option to do that”,

it would be a true statement right?

It’s the way you phrased it, it makes it sound like DE won’t let you even make a game in a lobby - or there’s no players for green arabia - or you can’t play the same map multiple times in a row in a lobby.

Again I’m not (now) even completely against some kind of lobby elo - (I probably was at the start of reading other threads).

Would you expect the majority of players (still at voobly) would move from voobly to DE if there was a lobby elo implemented? (They should probably also implement a DE profile page like with voobly with replays etc.) It would be nice as PacificWheel says to have DE bring all the communities together.

Yes I can make an UNRANKED game but come on, unranked is so boring it doesn’t make sence to play unranked

Well, that sentence is correct, to be fair the only word DE has taken away in that sentence is the word “Ranked”.
It would be so easy to implement and people that want to find a match faster, they can just search in the matchmaking.

1 Like

To me, the following thread seems to be the same idea:

I just dont know anymore what is said in what thread. For me both threads are about getting some kind of rating shown in the ranked lobby. They only seems to be different in the details to me. Almost everything said here can just be said in the other thread and vice versa. Cant the threads not be merged? Am i the only one who getting confused about those two threads?

That map is mega random (you wont have guessed it by the name 11 :slight_smile:). You dont know what to expect. If i might give a suggestion to the map pool is it to swap MegaRandom out for another map that do makes sense. This map is already in the map pool for months and it isnt played frequentlly. Time to give us another map.

3 Likes

I found this was a nice escape from the wildfire of the other thread :stuck_out_tongue: It got bit derailed into a heated debate.

1 Like

No, Bogland

Sorry, but you guessed it wrong too 11

In a previous post you sad it was MegaRandom. I reacted to the post where you said this…
Seems like you changed your opinion. I have played bogland. I can say it isnt part of the map pool and if i saw your opinion about the map i think it isnt for some good reason :wink:

But ELO is a ranking system! You cant have a ranking system not rank players. Its complete madness.

1 Like

But then its not ranked - which is what most players want to play. Add the fact that most players cant see other players lobbies and his sentence makes sense - its something he had and he doesnt have anymore.
On the other hand, he can just click a button and the game will find him a match against a suitable oponent - which is great… unfortunately, he cant choose the map.

1 Like

I think the right approach would be to unlimit the amount of bans you make. Like you can ban 1 map, or 4, or 6, or 7, as you wish. So you just play your favourite maps in the map pool.

Make us able to ban whatever we want