Suggestion: What if every civ have at least two unique units?

Karambit swarms were ridiculously broken before a bunch of nerfs, they’re still good with the sheer numbers

Were they ever? Archers, Scorpions and Towers went through them like a torrent through paper. Castles and Militia line were even harder counters.

well yes, with their cheap 10 gold cost you could produce them non stop. They also used to have 2 pierce armor at some point making them a real pain. Scorps, towers, castles sure but you can’t have all this ready. And archers didn’t matter if you have literally 100s of them in castle age. Especially with Malay fast up times, it was broken

1 Like

In AoE3 every civilization has at least 2 unique units. Of curse, AoE3 only has 14 civs vs AoE2 35 civs, but it still serves an example showing this is achievable.

It’s surely achievable but I don’t think the makers wanna invest anymore into this game. New units means new balance and another year of nerfs and buffs. They’re mostly looking forward to move onto age4

1 Like

Well, AoE2 without European looking units on each civ sure wouldn’t be AoE2 anymore 11 Also, “unique units” in AoE3 tend to be variation on 1 theme. Basically sure the Strelet is a unique unit, but in the end it’s just a worse skirm that can be massed in the early game and will fall off later. You could compare that to say, Celts archers who are usable early because of ur wood bonus but will become obsolete later.

1 Like

The problem is that if you switch to caravels you will get over run by galleys because you have to mass them. Also have to spend more resources for elite which means fewer ships. The transition could cause you to lose water since it will take too long to switch and get a mass big enough to defeat galleys. Then your docks and eco are being attacked which further reduces your production of caravels. It’s a downward spiral. Also caravels actually lose to galleys most of the time because ships naturally spread out and don’t stay clumped together. They almost are never worth it. Bad unit. Also organ guns are pretty worthless too. Portuguese need buffs to both their UU to be viable.

I think he means the Frankish Paladin.

Galleass is more suitable for Italians in my opinion.

Japanese must be Ninja (Shinobi) or Sohei.
Korean must be Hwarang (Flowering Knights), what are more suitable to be UU than War Wagons.

2 Likes

nice research! some cool ideas, i think they could do it, maybe with an expansion in future? but i think the viability depends on whether devs are willing to put more money into it, and then it could become something similar to starcraft/broodwars where you will always have fans of the vanilla game with less variety staying true to the genre, vs the majority that just wants cool new things (and its pretty clear where this forum sits on this one)

@FoamyPlanet4456 I think its a great idea, hopefully one day we see a 2nd UU for the rest of the factions, and don’t lose heart, its pretty guaranteed that if someone asked for a flaming suicidal camel for the tatars they wouldve been annhilated by this forum before it became official