Talking about the colonial concept

When AOE3 was first released in 2005, the game was based on colonization. However, over 10 years now, the concept of colonization has brought controversy. I still think this concept is valid, and I want to talk about the excuses for this and the direction of the content that AOE3 should move forward. Of course, you may not like my opinion, but I don’t want to be criticized for it. This is a simple personal opinion and does not necessarily have to be applied to the game.

1. Original European 8 civilizations

The original eight civilizations were clearly selected as countries related to colonies. AOE3 certainly contains their heyday and it is well represented in the game.

1-1 German

Germans are HREs, and all HRE countries are included. It can be seen that most of the mercenaries that appeared at the time were from Germany, and war wagons, Ulan, and settler wagons were not limited to any German state, but tried to include all nations that belonged to the HRE.

Also, the Germans’ demanding more experience to receive transport shows that they were not very interested in colonial.

1-2 Ottoman

Ottomans are not European countries and certainly have no history of colonizing them. However, they dominated Europe, Africa and Asia through numerous conquests, and their domination of the Silk Road led Europeans to become interested in colonization. I think such a fact gives them a reason to appear in this game. The way they dominate the lands they dominate is similar to colonies, and their actions have influenced the colonization of European civilizations.

1. Natives

The concept of the natives is the original inhabitants of the New World. Moreover, since AOE3 was released in the United States, it is natural to focus on American Indians. In addition, Aztec is also a civilization in the new world, and since it has appeared in AOE2, it would have been suitable to be selected as a major civilization.

I don’t think it’s unusual for them to appear in colonial games. Because they are fighting on the mainland, they know the location of all TPs and are supported by Tribal council.

1. Asian

Many people say that the colonial concept is no longer meaningful with the advent of Asians. But my opinion is not at all. The developers at that time weren’t stupid, so they gave them a bunch of gadgets so that the Asians could fit into the colony-related game.

The reason is the consulate. Asians deal with Europeans through consulates. They use European weapons and buildings by exporting what they usually do not get. As a result, in the game, they explained that they did not have colonies through their trade with Europeans, but that they had a connection with the colonial empire like natives.

3-1 Japanese

Japan didn’t deal with Europe at all and said it didn’t fit the concept at all because it was isolated, but unfortunately, the guns of Ashigaru, which Japanese players use the most, were given by Europeans.

They were already trading with Europe before invading Korea, and it was after the Tokugawa Shogun came to power that trade with Europe stopped. Even when Tokugawa came to power, Japan was still trading with Dutch and Portuguese. Japan entered isolation in 1637, and Tokugawa Ieyasu came to power in Edo in 1603.

1. A civilization that did not appear

Sweden, Italy, and Korea are civilizations that are often mentioned that they may have appeared in the game. However, it is clear why two civilizations other than Sweden could not appear in the game.

4-1.Italy

At that time, part of Northern Italy was part of Spain or Austria. It was precisely the land of the Habsburg family. The kingdoms of Sardena and both Sicily, which formed Italy, were struggling to protect their own land, let alone colonies. They unified at the end of the 19th century, and this is the time when the game is almost over.

4-2. Korea

In terms of its geopolitical position, Korea is in a difficult position to meet Europeans because it exists between China and Japan. They opened their ports at the end of the 19th century, and that was also done by Japan.

South Korea’s diplomacy was only China and Japan, and they also found no reason to trade with other European civilizations other than the two countries. In the first place, European civilizations only knew the existence of Korea, but never tried to trade with them.

1. Future plans

In order for AOE3 to get more content, most people want new European or African countries. As you can see from my opinion, I want Africa too. They will give AOE3 more experience through its vast African history and land.

But now that Sweden emerges, developers may be planning other European countries. It can be estimated to some extent through the reorganized European Revolution this time. If that happens, I hope that AOE3 will be able to completely break up with the colonization. The controversy will over the game concept will end only when all civilizations that appear are given new explanations and all ties to the colony are cut off. But I don’t think this is a good change. The colonial era is still a fascinating subject, and through this, enough interesting content can be created.

Anyway, if a new civilization emerges, it would be nice if the new civilizations introduced a new system with a specific concept, as the past production crew struggled. AOM still has a lot of cool systems for AOE3. If the developers now polish it up and port it successfully to AOE3, I think that many people’s reviews of developers now will be better. I am hoping that they will be able to create cool designs that reveal their unique features rather than designs that plagiarize existing civilizations such as Sweden or the Incas.

And what I want to tell the developers is that AOE3 is not AOE2. I hope they don’t try to pack AOE3 with AOE2’s halo.

Once again at the end, I did not write my opinion to fight you. I don’t want to read anything trying to fight my opinion. However, any comments that simply speak your thoughts are welcome.

1 Like

Ottoman controls the Mediterranean Sea, which complies with The meaning of sea power control in Age of Discovery