Teutons = Holy Roman Empire?

In fact the Frisians are already represented by the Burgundians and their northern territories and Austria, because it is half represented by the same Burgundians, Bohemia and Hungary if you want…the Austrians were only relevant from the Renaissance and the Modern Age onwards, so they would be better for aoe 3, not for the 2…although there they could make a campaign of Frederick III or Maximilian I to be able to introduce them into the game…

2 Likes

they can separate into new civilizations as they did with the Indians

Yes,but they were already divided into the successive dlcs (Italians in The Forgotten, Burgundians in TLOTW, Bohemians in TDOTD), I do not think they will divide them again, also I repeat the Austrians do not fit completely with the chronology of aoe 2 since their imperial power was after the period of aoe 2, although it can always be discussed…they would be better off in aoe 3 by dividing the Germans into two civs: Prussians and Austrians or that the Germans rename themselves Germanic…

1 Like

Both occur, and some forums are reaaally fanatical about their chosen direction. Around here I haven’t really noticed a strong preference.

I wouldn’t use a description in the company website (not even the official AoE site) as a definitive argument. They probably took some guy and tell him “go write something for every civ. Not too long, just something to hype about”.

Aside of that, there is kind of a agreement in the community that civilizations don’t represent states, but cultural groups. And the HRE, as you already know, was a loose union of various cultural groups. And we currently have a civilization for each major one of them. I don’t think we should look deeper into the matter. Teutons are the Germans, there’s nothing wrong or inconsistent with it.

2 Likes

I agree with what you say. I do think that overall Austria should be geared more for AOE3, but they did have a substantial presence in the latter half of the AOE2 timeline. As for Frisians, I also agree. I was just trying to shed some light on what I consider to be the only two major splits left for the HRE that would even make sense to split off from the Teutons at this point (and neither are priorities imo). Saxons, Westphalians, Bavarians, etc are kind of redundant and irrelevant in the overall picture compared to the rest of the possible civ additions that could be in the bag imo.

Yes,in fact Austria begins to be relevant from 1438 onwards, achieving its greatest power between 1556 and 1804 (that is the time period of aoe 3) and on the dividing of the HRE, I would rename the Teutons as Germanic and with that I would already be half represented all that area and not only the Teutonic Order…

1 Like

Not even comparable lol

1 Like

India deserves like 8-10 civs before Italy gets any.

They represent all Germans. Teutonicum - German in Latin. They have campain as Holy Roman Emperor.

Ah ok, yes that meaning is also valid…

I don’t care i want saxony, branderburg, bavaria, austria, helvetia, etc. Like age of chivalry hegemony

Go play Age of Chivalry if you want that. Here we have to be fair, and these guys need to wait a loooong time before they deserve to be added (at least all 5, maybe one or two may be added sooner or later even if I want them or not)

Well, the game was supposed to be about groups of people aka empires and to be honest, you can’t go more specific than with Burgundy, Bohemia, Poles and Sicilians.

Teutons are supposed to represent the HRE. We’re not going to get Bavarians and similar and Bohemia was then part of the HRE. So yes, it’s a Teutons split, like Burgundy

Teutons are not the “Holy Order” either. They’re supposed to represent the HRE, as by their design and civ description. They focused mostly on the German aspects because they’re the majority within the HRE in terms of population and provinces.

1 Like