The Age of Empires III Cutting Room Floor

Maybe this is how it would look if they port it to Xbox…

Honestly, I want an Xbox port. I wouldn’t play it since the game works well enough on my PC, but it could be a way of attracting more players.

1 Like

That should explain it well enough. It’s still interesting how some elements look familiar yet different. The Falconet looks bigger and manned by 3 men, all dressed like Minutemen. The Cavalry resembles Cossacks more than Hussars. The smiling Settler is just funny.

Anyways, here’s some icons for what seem to be meant for Home City cosmetic unlocks:

Bass, Chello, and Viola.
imageimageimage
None of these were updated for DE.

Unused Basilica and Lombard icons:

4 Likes

To me, that cavalry is very alike Delis

I guess they will do it next year after launching AoE 4 on Xbox

Not only is there evidence in image or text form, there’s also audio. The ones that are the most interesting to me are the ones made for the campaigns, as they show how scenarios and stories were originally planned to be before being cut.

I made a few videos compiling them into a digestible format. It took me multiple iterations, but I managed to arrange them in a way that provided context within the campaign progression.

There’s probably plenty of unused voicelines for the AI personalities meant for Skirmish gameplay, but I haven’t played around with them enough to know which ones to set aside.

4 Likes

Early description for the Musketeer, either the only unit to get a Game Information entry made for it or the only surviving one.

The Musketeer is an infantry unit with decent hitpoints, range and a good attack. They are one of the few units available to every Civilization and as such are one of the most common units in the game. Musketeers are a good all around unit, but not outstanding in any particular trait. Certain Civilizations, like the British, have unique improvements to Musketeers that make them even better than regular fully upgraded Musketeer infantry.

The early design where Politicians were involved with the Home City system still has some strings remaining for a handful of them. They mainly provided unique bonuses rather than units or resources.

Commerce Age

• Allows you to send the Adventurer, who advances you to Commerce Age and improves your Explorer’s hitpoints and the line of sight of cavalry and infantry.

• Allows you to send the Philosopher Prince, who advances you to Commerce Age and makes archaic units (Longbowmen and Pikemen) better.

• Allows you to send the Master Farmer, who advances you to Commerce Age and improves your Mill gathering rate.

• Allows you to send the Master Miner, who advances you to Commerce Age and improves your Mine gathering rate.

• Allows you to send the Cavalier, who advances you to Commerce Age and increase cavalry hitpoints.

• Allows you to send the Naturalist, who advances you to Commerce Age and improves your hunting and livestock gathering rate.

• Allows you to send the King’s Musketeer, who advances you to Commerce Age and improves your infantry’s hitpoints.

• Allows you to send the Bishop, who advances you to Commerce Age and makes Priests free.

Industrial Age

• Allows you to send the Gentleman Pirate, who advances you to Industrial Age and increases Mercenary hitpoints.

• Allows you to send the Exiled Prince, who advances you to Industrial Age and refunds 500 Coin.

• Allows you to send the Viceroy, who advances you to Industrial Age and increases soldier and building hitpoints.

• Allows you to send the Grand Vizier, who advances you to Industrial Age and increases the hitpoints of unique Ottoman units.

• Allows you to send the War Minister, who advances you to Industrial Age and increases the hitpoints of unique Spanish units.

• Allows you to send the Tycoon, who advances you to Industrial Age and improves your Crates and Factories.

10 Likes

I also saw it along with other interface images and stuff that weren’t included in the game, I have to say I like it more like this at best with some improvements, it’s a more minimalistic interface, the only thing that looks really bad and out of place is the homecity icon.

You can also find drummers and flag baerer resources in the squad folder

I managed to restore the protounitcommand, but it doesn’t relate to any ability, power or tech

<protounitcommand>
    <name>SquadLock</name>
    <icon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_locked.png</icon>
    <activeicon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_locked_on.png</activeicon>
    <disabledicon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_locked_off.png</disabledicon>
    <rollovertextid>30151</rollovertextid>
    <disabledrollovertextid>
    </disabledrollovertextid>
    <command>SquadLock(true)</command>
  </protounitcommand>
  <protounitcommand>
    <name>SquadUnlock</name>
    <icon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_unlocked.png</icon>
    <activeicon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_unlocked_on.png</activeicon>
    <disabledicon>resources\images\icons\command\formation_unlocked_off.png</disabledicon>
    <rollovertextid>30152</rollovertextid>
    <disabledrollovertextid>
    </disabledrollovertextid>
    <command>SquadLock(false)</command>
  </protounitcommand>
2 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, the fame restriction was removed in legacy.
Imp mod and wol both use it for something else

4 Likes
  • Originally, Experience was called Fame and would be shown on a numeric counter in the in-game UI (as opposed to the final game, where it is represented by a green bar below the Home City button) along with the other resources, as shown in unused textures files (resource_fame.ddt). It was later changed to be represented by a green bar (fame_bar.ddt), as in the final game, and later, its name was changed to Experience.
3 Likes

By the way, I like the music they play in these videos. They should include more music like this in the game matches.

From what I remember, the Fame restriction has also been removed for DE recently, just in case modders want to use it for… anything really.

3 Likes

it was, even in UI the slot is there if anyone chooses to use it

I’d love to have drummers and flagbearer for civs as a standard unit! Captures the prompt and ceremony of your soldiers in formation.

1 Like

At some point Mines had to be built near Ore Deposits, probably when Plantation/Estates also had to be built near resources.

Mines must be built near ore deposits.
Only one Mine can be built near an ore deposit.
Build your Mine near this ore deposit.

A cut design had more Modes for units.

<string _locid="28118" symbol="cStringSharpshooterMode">Sharpshooter Mode. Increased attack, but no movement.</string>
 <string _locid="28122" symbol="cStringSharpshooterActive">This unit is currently in Sharpshooter Attack Mode.</string>

<string _locid="26822" symbol="cStringNormalMode">Normal Mode. Weakest attack, but you can sail at full speed.</string>
<string _locid="26823" symbol="cStringBroadsideMode">Broadside Mode. Cannon barrage only good against ships. Movement is slow.</string>

<string _locid="28483" symbol="cStringPikeKillerMode">Strike Mode. Increased speed and lower damage, except against Pikemen.</string>
<string _locid="28484" symbol="cStringPikeKillerActive">This unit is currently in Strike Mode.</string>
<string _locid="28485" symbol="cStringPikeKillerDisabled">Strike Mode is currently unavailable.</string>
<string _locid="28486" symbol="cStringAssaultMode">Assault Mode. Decreased speed but gains area damage.</string>
<string _locid="28488" symbol="cStringAssaultDisabled">Assault Mode is currently unavailable.</string>

Treaty seemingly was something in-game or for Grand Conquest mode where you could set a number of years and resource cost.

<string _locid="28524" symbol="cStringUITreatyAddInYears">In Years?</string>
<string _locid="28525" symbol="cStringUITreatyAddCostInFood">Cost in Food</string>
<string _locid="28526" symbol="cStringUITreatyAddCostInWood">Cost in Wood</string>
<string _locid="28527" symbol="cStringUITreatyAddCostInCoin">Cost in Coin</string>

Seems like these are from the cut Grand Conquest mode:

Every game, your Town Center has more hitpoints and you can further upgrade its combat effectiveness with the Fixed Guns improvement. In addition, your Militiamen are stronger.

Ship resources back to your Home City. In return, your team’s Imperial Army is available 1 Year sooner.

Mercenaries at some point were restricted to hiring once per type per game, for all players.

Mercenaries are elite troops that can be sent from the Home City for a Coin cost. Once a group of Mercenaries is hired, by any player in the game, those Mercenaries are unavailable for the rest of the game.
Hiring Mercenaries costs less resources. Remember, each type of Mercenary unit can only be hired once per game.

Privateers at one point produced Coin when attacking ships.

Privateers are mercenary ships that produce Coin when they damage enemy units.

A building called the Cannon Works once existed.

Mortars are now available in the Cannon Works.

Trading Posts had an upgrade to unlock Treaty and Alliance upgrades to get free warriors from Native Allies.

With this upgrade, you are able to get the Treaty and Alliance upgrades at the Trading Post, which allow your Native Allies to send you free warriors.

Hot Air Balloons were stationary units deployed by Town Centers.

Balloons can be produced from the Town Center and sent aloft to provide a huge line of sight. They cannot move once deployed and have no attack.

Cut Conscirption card effect from the DE, may have been in a revolution:

Militiamen become Minutemen who no longer lose hit points and can now be called at Forts. Delivers 16 Minutemen.

7 Likes

Yes, maybe at some point AoE3 is more like American Conquest…

It’s more likely in-game than in Grand Conquest, and as we all know, the “Treaty” terminology was later reused in TAD for the official no rush mode.

Here’s the reasoning:

Grand Conquest seems to have never left prototype stage, but from the perspective of prudent game design:

1. If the mode had resource stockpiles at all, it is better to give GC resources their own unique names like “funds” or “treasure”, to differentiate them from in-game resources.

2. AoE3 spans 4 to 5 centuries of history, and given that AoE3 could not possibly launch with hundreds of maps, the GC mode would be expected to last a few dozen turns at most. The progression of the mode is also unlikely to be “paced” like real history, so there can’t be a uniform 1 turn = x years conversion. That’s why it’s unlikely GC would have its time passage measured in years; it’d most likely have unspecified, abstract “turns”.

GC never made it to a playable state ^^