The AI is terrible

One of the biggest issues is a.i will have a large army and if it loses a few units it starts to retreat which i understand it is trying to save its army but the issue is i can just kill the entire army as it starts walking backwards to its base, it needs to learn that if it cannot escape it must try to fight or split off some units etc so the main force can move away.

2 Likes

Yeah, among other things, the AI has a strange way of attacking later in the game. It just seems to send small groups of units, not really enough to do anything substantial on its own. Every once in a while itā€™ll send a larger force, maybe the size of 2.5 - 3 smaller units, but that doesnā€™t happen as much. Iā€™ve noticed that they reallllly suck against massed towers with cannons. They just keep repeating the same ā€œstrategyā€ of sending 2-3 units at a time, sometimes a group of 20, and just have them walk right into a volley of fire and they get predictably destroyed. Sometimes they use siege, but that doesnā€™t help much because of another issue.

The other issue is that the AI seems like it canā€™t make up its mind about whether it wants to retreat or keep fighting. The end result is units will turn back & retreat, then almost immediately turn around again to fight, and often it will get stuck in a loop of this, basically getting slaughtered while it thinks itself to death. Every AI game Iā€™ve played so far, it has sent groups large enough to destroy a lot of my towers, only to get stuck in a retreat/fight loop where they lose all their siege units despite having the strength to put up a good fight.

Needs major work, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Well simple and is , aoe2 ai team is much better than aoe4 ai team

a bunch of u are comparing a 2week old baby to a 20 year old veteran of warā€¦ and quite literally aoe2 has been polished for nearly 20 yearsā€¦ aiā€ as u call it is just programmed responses, its gonna take time to keep polishing and growing. But though we need to keep on the devs so they keep up on the worst of it, lets not forget its gonna take time to grow, and be respectful

3 Likes

Dude aoe2de ai team is new , not as new as aoe4 , but u canā€™t tell them 20 year old , old aoe2 ai was as bad as current aoe4 ai

So u think because aoe2 got a new skin in its definitive edition, that they built a whole new ai from the ground up?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not what I think , itā€™s what is the fact , u can easily go Google or go YouTube , new aoe2 ai can deafeat 7 old ai .

Microsoft even made a major ai patch introducing new ai .

2 Likes

The AI doesnā€™t have a proper build order yet, which is okay since the game is only a week old.

But games with AI even on hardest are boring because the AI will attack a few times in the beginning, get scared of outposts and then wall up and stay in its base forever. Even if it can pull off a good raid, it will not do that sometimes.

The AI quality is also civ dependent. As of now, the HRE AI is the worst of the worst. I am a pretty meh player and i had a 2000 point score lead over it in feudal age.

2 Likes

The AI is much more aggressive early in the game. There doesnā€™t seem to be the different playing styles as found in aoe3.

The worst thing about the AI in this game though, is the lack of reaction to Wonders or Holy Site countdowns. The number of games Iā€™ve had where I build a Wonder and then sit and wait for 15 minutes without a single attack is silly. How they didnā€™t program any reaction to these events is beyond me.

I havenā€™t bought the game yet so Iā€™m wondering if these AI issues apply only to skirmishes or also to the campaigns? I assume itā€™s just the skirmishes and if thatā€™s the case I figure Iā€™ll buy it and just do the campaigns until things get patched.

AoE II has been mapped out, and had AI tournaments for many years to improve their effectiveness, which is why the AI is as good as it is. Basically, years of development went into making the DE, and itā€™s mostly thanks to the community. I am not saying Relic canā€™t match this, itā€™s just that most developers do not have the time to make AI as good as that. I mean compare it to the CD AI (what it shipped with), itā€™s laughable.

Secondly, there is always the option to play against players.

And finally, yeah, while I did crush the hardest AI. But I think the AI depends heavily on Civ. Some AI work better with their script than others. Itā€™s one of the downsides of the asymmetrical civs, you essentially need 8 AI.

but they said that they are going to add an imposible AI that learns of players moves right?

At the moment, the AI is broken and does not pose any danger even on maximum difficultyā€¦
Letā€™s wait for the AI fix in the next patch.
I hope Relic will fix this problem.

I donā€™t understand why AOE4ā€™s AI would have to start 100% from scratch with no lessons learned from AOE2 and AOE3. There is no reason AOE4ā€™s AI had to start out this unproductive. If anything, by the 4th version, we should be talking about the best AI in the age series, not a regression back to AOE2ā€™s original crappy AI. Itā€™s not just buggy but mostly fine, it has some glaring problems that make many AI games pointless.

If we were talking about the first game of a new series, sure. But this is not quite that.

3 Likes

This is the way :smiley:

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why AOE4ā€™s AI would have to start 100% from scratch with no lessons learned from AOE2 and AOE3. There is no reason AOE4ā€™s AI had to start out this unproductive. If anything, by the 4th version, we should be talking about the best AI in the age series, not a regression back to AOE2ā€™s original crappy AI

I agree with your overall point in your post, but I want to point out, thatā€™s not how it works. AI isnā€™t general artificial intelligence, itā€™s scripted for the specific game to follow special rules, itā€™s just really good at one thing. Thatā€™s why a generalist AI beating top players in Chess/Go is such an interesting thing in the first place. If you put the DE AI in here, you will STILL stomp them with smart use of walls etc. For single player campaigns you can craft scenarios around the player, so the designer can ā€œimprove the difficultyā€ as they get deeper into the series. But a generalist AI for such a dynamic scenario will always be difficult.

Anyway, atm, they just need to add ā€œimpossible modeā€ which just gives the AI big bonuses and has them stay aggressive all game.

I donā€™t think the AoE 4 AI cheats, such as by using big bonuses.

Well, give them that, and name the difficulty ā€œunfairā€ or something. I have been trying to do an imperial build, and the AI is actually fairly fun once they get a lot of units. Granted, there is only so far this will be enjoyable.

I tried today against the hardest French AI, and it was actually much more optimized and performed better than other hardest AIā€™s Iā€™ve played.

I donā€™t think if the AI has been completely done yet for most of the civs. For example the HRE AI is very bad.

But the French AI was kinda refreshing. It defended against my attacks, sent in sneak attacks, made lots of units continuously and was very aggressive. I wish all AI was like that despite the civ description being ā€˜defensiveā€™.

Once they go inside their base and start defending behind walls, the AI dies like sitting ducks.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not talking about the AI engine literally learning as it goes along (although they said a future extreme setting would do just that, iirc), just that they should have refined it in development to the point where it was at least marginally better than AOE2DE. They have all the source code for the AI in DE. In some ways it is better, but in a number of ways it isnā€™t.