The Alt+F4 Multiplayer Problem

Would be nice if the forums had some use and the devs actually mingle with them. :upside_down_face:

Over 800 messages, is that enough to have the devs attention?

It matters not how many ants there are in a colony if the mound is never found.

I think its so dumb that players can quit a map without consequence. we all have our favorite maps but you dont have to leave just because you didnt get your top pick. I think this is really bad manners

1 Like

Dear decision makers at worldā€™s edge, forgotten, microsoft, etcā€¦

watch this video

1 Like

Yeah the announcement text of the swap between DM/Empire Wars was ridiculous.

I donā€™t even know, why they even bothered touching that.
My guess is, the game studio doesnā€™t have staff to do actual development on the application.
So they do other weird things, like changing the menu layout, changing units stats a bit, changing the second ranked gamemode besides RM.

Nobody who actually plays the game, in the way the community kept it alive for more than a decade, would have requested the removal of ranked DM over bug/crash/performance/matchmaking fixes.

yes, they are that bad

Perhaps if you didnt get horrible maps like thisā€¦

Seriously it seems like every single Nomad I play is the same crap with people right next to each other ending either on a villager fight or towers into gg. This just happened and as always it was a horrible game.

Every time I get this map I end up coming to check on this thread for updates on more bans or something.

:frowning: (twenty characters)

I think Nomad games should start with only one villager each, and everyone spread out across the land. The 3 villager thing is too much.

Or if 3 villagers must remain the default, then clump all 3 together, spread players out across the terrain equidistant from each other, and require big maps for those games

This is subjective. I enjoy the kind of situations that you just posted on your screenshot :wink:

1 Like

I agree its crazy thats what I like about age of empires you never know what to expect. People also play in so many unique and creative ways.

I spent more time in queue than in game. Find it tough to enjoy unfortunately.

1 Like

Did you get defeated that fast?

Thank you for the interest in the result, not that its relevant. My team won, but I didnt get to play much as enemies resigned before we even reach Feudalā€¦ I did try to tell my teammate to avoid villager fights in the future as it ruins the game for everyone but apparently the +10 points are more important than actually playing the game nowadays.

Anyway, back to topic.

Ah that makes sense. Sorry for my badly worded question. I should have phrased that very differently.

Nomad as map is fine, but i hate the lack of etiquettes of players in DE. On HD and Voobly no vill fights was an unwritten rule. Nowadays it happens in many games. I really hope the devs will fix this somehow.

I made my own thread about this a while ago: No TC starts + Villager fights Replays can go to that thread.

Iā€™ve just searching 4 times right now with my team, and countingā€¦ SO ANNOYING.

FOUR TIMES. I lost 20 min only trying to play ranked with my TG on 2300 ELO. They Alt+F4 next maps: Oasis, Gold Rush, Coastal Forest and Nomad.

They must be penalized with something like couldnā€™t search for 5 min, then 20 min, or 40 min, and go on.

3 Likes

The new team mappool that will begin next week looks like the worst one since the beginning of DE. Looks like weā€™ll have a lot of alt-f4s this time. Personally Iā€™ll not shy away from it because there will be 1 open map and 2 nomads, 1 megarandomā€¦ LoL

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been saying this for awhile, and totally agree. Would say this accounts for 40% of alt-f4s. Itā€™s gotten bad enough that I will queue up in quickplay if I donā€™t have a friend to team with.

And that would also help break the knight/xbow build order meta, because they would have to adapt to their team position, which means more infantry and defensive/support civs would be chosen.

Until they fix this issue I will alt-f4 when matched with pocket pussies.

Picking position is not that bad, if you are trying to balance the skills in your team, like letting the slowest player as pocket, the problem is not that, the problem is that everybody can pick civs, if you werenā€™t capable of picking civs, the pocket slot would be less greedy not knowing which civ you will play, ergo less players would be interested in being pocket.

Anyway knight+xbow is the best generic combo, that is not going to change in aoe2.

I do think that team games would be a bit healthier if you could either pick civs OR positions, but not both. TG Maps other than nomad and megarandom are just ultra-stale the way it is now. Could be a reasonable stop-gap solution until a better solution is found to address all the other issues.

2 Likes