The art style of this game

Oh man, come on dude, move on from Graphics already now. This thread should be dead. Talk something new guys!! We all are going round and round, giving same examples.

Product is not fully done yet! You don’t know what type of settings are in the game!! So save your energy until you see more of the product!

Universally (at least according to this poll here https://www.debate.org/opinions/do-graphics-matter-in-video-games) graphics don’t play a major roll in the game. I am pretty amazed Graphics here is at 4 8%, still a minority though, so good luck convincing the rest of gamers why AOE should have a “realistic” graphic. Heck we don’t even know how much of AOE fanbase uses this forum.

Here is a thing, people who make games are way smarter than us. They bloody ■■■■ know their stuff. They have all kinds of data, logistics and market down…they know when the game should release, how it should release and with what kind of expectation people have.

Fact is, they don’t know you exist, they don’t know I exist. For them, there is only one entity that matter : MAJORITY! Majority likes the graphics, likes the setting, like the mechanics they see in that trailer so for them they matter. Even if they lose your and mine business, they know somewhere, someone just want to play a good game.

Let me ask you this, please rank these for me: Graphics (whatever you like it be), Audio, Gameplay, Performance, Modularity/Engine. Rank it, find a game you like, and play that for a while. Then look at this game after it shows more stuff.

All those games you mentioned have pretty poor performance. Some of those games you mentioned are also Console games, including Iron Harvest and CC3 & Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Of course, Total War can’t be ported to consoles, for obvious reasons (but they have mobiles ports, like CoH and Total Wars are already in ipad), but with those “graphical” fidelity comes cost. Most of the times that cost get put on us, via dlcs & micro transaction. Then you will complain “AHhh! I paid $60 for the game, game is half done.”

Let’s stop (or minimize) complaining and start appreciating. Not the publishers (even though they are the risk takers), but the people behind it. If you or guys like you can’t understand this, then I don’t what else to tell you besides just move on, really… you’re wasting your time. Nothing you or I say will change unless we are the majority.

Another last question…if Microsoft do (which I doubt) wants to make a game that can be played with a dad and son/daughter…then what’s wrong with it? If game sells more, and we get more games in the future, then what’s wrong with it? If not-so-dope graphics make this game run of many machines so many people can access it, then what’s wrong with it?

3 Likes

Meanwhile, we know this companies. So considering how they handled:
Dawn of War 3, Age of Empires Online , Rise of Legends and Universe at War.

First of all, Microsoft requested a very wrong concept from the developer/
Relic was requested to make a very wrong concept and didn’t disagree.

They did clearly in case of those projects make something the respected franchise and genre community did heavily disagree. Nobody wanted a lame browser/online game, Nobody wanted a dumbed down game, Nobody wanted a cartoony game.

Age of Empires 4 is probably again, a game the game market will not want to pay for.
The art style is the first hint for it. A simplified game, is the second hint.
For the game they try to make, I just do not see a demand. This concept flopped too much.

Secondly, they do drop the support once game flops.
We know that by each project, the plug was pulled.
The problem is, they couldn’t in time admit being wrong and starting fix the project.

The game is not going to sell more, just because it looks kids friendly, has kids friendly gameplay and can be run on many PCs. It’s an usual delusion for AAA games. Something they should have had learned from own mistakes by now.

What is the possible scenario for AoE4?
It just does sound like they repeat same mistakes with Age of Empires 4.

2 Likes

You know you are comparing a completed game to a “PreAlpha game play” demo, right? Not to mention, that it is highly possible that the video is entirely fake, right?

If one wants prove of a game play video being fake, just look at the “E3 2017 Anthem game play video”. It was entirely fake.

Same with AoE 4. Is the same logic.
Cartoonish like Stronghold Warlords.

1 Like

Let’s hope you’re wrong with your speculation. If they pull the plug now, then we will forever play in AOE2 lol.

honestly i’m hoping the game turns out great, but if it doesn’t…well I’ve already played aoe2 for 20 years. whats a few more?

2 Likes

1 Even if those videos do not represent the games,
we still know from them what art style they do aim for.

2 There is one very important gameplay element, “visual feedback”. Colours intensity are an important tool in entertainment to highlight what is important now on the screen. A very basic tool by the way, but they seem not to understand any more how it works.

In a single character game/cartoon, it’s good to highlight the main character or main event,
what is important and audience/gamer should focus on.

If every character is intensely colourful,
you don’t have a spot to focus, it turns simply into background.

If they do in RTS highlight every character and object, that’s a very bad thing. As you have a lot of things to check.

Microsoft presented us by AoE4 a gameplay trailer where everything, even: Grass, trees, houses, sky is presented in intense shiny colours, that’s unprofessional. Lack of visual feedback is one of main things, why people already did not buy their RTS titles.

3 We can use already existing titles for conclusions.
Let’s compare the failed Microsoft cartoony game Rise of Legends from 2006 vs successful professionally designed RTS game Battle for Middle Earth from 2004.

Here is official material they used to advertise the games,
Already here see so many elements missing by Microsoft, like narration
what is going on, who is fighting who, who are the factions and heroes.

But specifically check the big difference between the scenes we see, while the professional designed game Battle for Middle Earth is using several lights, shadows, fogs, light tones and special effects are used if to highlight fire attacks and magic. By Microsoft everything is simply cartooned colourful, with no actual change, even as background changes, its still has intense colours and units do not change their colours brightness.

Already after mere seconds, you can see which title is the superior.

It’s sad to see despite having Adam and Relic,
Microsoft seems today not to understand how important those elements are.

It’s really frustrating to be stuck with the old titles.
But I am afraid MS is repeating by AoE4 same mistakes like by Rise of Legends.

1 Like

Well here are another 2 indie titles, that look superior “less cartoony” in direct comparison…

Manor Lords

Knights of Honor II: Sovereign
first you see strategic map like in Total War, than after 1:40 you see gameplay video

1 Like

Based on above trailers;
Manor Lords had great landscapes.
But horrid Units & building completions, covering their flaws with ‘dust’.
Knights of Honor II’s gameplay shows almost nothing.
Personally, I’d prefer the upcoming AoE 3 DE over both.

Knights of Honor 2 looks very promising, as AoE fans we should be interested in KoH2 as well. It’s like a Total War game, but closer in concept to AoE.

Too realistic is in my opinion also a bad idea, I think AoE III graphics did it right. If it’s too realistic its going to be harder to see the difference between units and I personally dislike realistic graphics, and the example you gave of command and conquer.

Saying no one will buy inferior graphics is false, you have too many games with pixel art which sells, Terraria, Minecraft, Undertale etc.

Graphics are important to a game, more than most people think. It doesnt have to be extremely realistic or extremely cartoonish, it has to fit the game and add on the feeling the game tries to give the player.

2 Likes

While I agree with all what you said, I guess I wouldn’t support the last idea about “graphics certainly need to be” cartoony. We can think of American Conquest, from FX Interactive. Same studio that created Imperivm or Patrician, and yet those are cartoony, but that’s not the case with American Conquest.

I wouldn’t like it too realistic, but I wouldn’t like either to have an Age of Empires looking like ‘Clash of Clans’.

I guess it’s about finding the balance, but not getting so crazy about it. I think the 3D graphic development makes things look cartoony even if you don’t intend them to be.

Just another POV. Thank you!

1 Like

its indeed odd, that AoE3 in comparison looked better.
I mean it’s a colorful game too, but you don’t have shiny grass.

AOE4 looks for a 2020 game extremely cartoonish.
The AoE4 graphics are so over the top, grass almost looks like tiberium lol.

2 Likes

The grass from 1st and 2nd picture looks the same for you? For me the 1st and the 3rd match much more than 1st and 2nd.

Well, nope. You compare a picture with more dirt than grass to the AoE4 screenshot. AoE3 grass looks like a flat, dull grey-ish grass(more like picture 1) while the grass from AoE4 looks by far more realistic( a bit too much contrast - but hey they will give us a slider anyway). It has different heights and it looks like it’s affected by air-flow/wind.

I really can’t understand where people see the ‘cartoony’ part in the AoE4 screenshot and don’t call the previous titles cartoony. For me AoE4 seems like a huge graphically improvement from previous titles based on the given scenes we saw.

Compare AoE4 to AoE Online and tell me AoE4 is too cartoonish.

7 Likes

Well, there are a lot of grass types, seeing we only have had 1 trailer, nothing really else.

Like a lot of people already said we should atleast wait for another video to see if it really is cartoonish, of what i have seen i do agree that it looks cartoonish but i do not yet know to which degree, i think AoE does best with sort of “cartoonish” models but “realistic” textures, like AoE III sort of did.

3 Likes

Aghhh…this post is still trending. Grow up people, unless we are in some art school i do 't think we need to analyze things to every detail in order to prove something is cartoony (you want trophies??). smh. It’s done… i don’t like that much it either (i actually don’t care to be honest) but I am still getting good vibes from what they have been cooking in terms of ideas. It’s a welcome change.

1 Like

By the game’s new trailer and some sort of gameplay/screenshots. I came to the conclusion that AOE4 is worse graphic wise then AOE2. Which is an absolute disgrace…Tease us with AOE3’s amazing graphics only to do this at a moment when we were dying to see some AOE4 footage, and this is what we get? I feel awful.

I was expecting atleast somewhere like AOE2, that game literally looks more sharp and detailed…How is this possible all these years later :frowning:

Exactly, AOE4 gonna look like The Settlers -.-

Ok.So you want realistic graphics

Can you see units?
Realistic graphics cause you can’t see units easily and it is a problem for competitive play

AoE4 isn’t cartoony
It is a bit cartoony,unrealistic but it isn’t very cartoony
And AoE2 was a bit cartoony and unrealistic too

Im just comparing it with Stronghold Crusader
-Stronghold has more realistic unit proportions
-Stronghold has a darker atmosphere
-AoE is colorful,Stronghold isn’t

Look,this is cartoony

But it isn’t.it is just design selection

And,this is pre-alpha.does not present final game.
Graphics are last thing you polished.

9 Likes