The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

Yes, that’s all. Me and you we are often discussing about graphic aspect but if you remember well (and this is proven in the most of my posts) i always said that i like the art style. What i dislike is the quality of textures, weapons, the lack of improved physic (similar to COH3 or AOE3de), wheater effects and biomas diversity (speaking about fauna). For example i never seen sharks, whales or turtles on the island maps as i never seen bears, tigers, monkeys, wild horses and more.
You know, all of these elements could seem useless but they are very important for the players immersion in the same way as the high detailed textures and realistic weapons (in terms of colours and sizes) are very important to make a historical RTS great and leave to players the feeling of live the history".

As i said in the past some models are historical accurate but many of them (most of them) have not detailed textures and ofen the armours are going to confuse with clotes.
Obviously the plastic weapons and the wrong colours on helmets and the armour pieces could determine this effect:

I played the last public AOMRE beta and there are a lot of difference in terms of textures quality (and you should consider that there were some textures loading problems during the test itself).

This game offers a lot of graphic settings (with also AMD FSR. i hope they will add also DLSS for nvidia cards) and i playes with “mythic settings”. Game runs very good to me.
Unfortunately the “capture screens options” doesn’t take image on 4k

You can see how the Axe has “iron colour” as how it should be into reality

Look at the gold mine. It takes something from AOE4 (the gold venatures) but it looks more detailed

Details on the chariot (woods and wheels) and on the OX skin seem real

Look at how realistic are the units. The leather armor and armor pieces look very realistic

This is the “famous Zoom in” that i would like to see on AOE4. When graphic are detailed looking battles more close is incredible. Also Aussie_Drongo likes to “Zoom in” when he plays with AOMRE. So a beautiful graphic like to many people, also to streamers.

Buildings are more detailed and there are good proportions between units

Again, units have realistic armours and weapons and are very detailed

Noble Gallic cavalry: they are made incredible well. Armours, clothes, weaons. All seems realistic also for a mythological game. Horses are the typical horses of the north Europe. Also here there’s historical reserch. Now look at the AOE4 horses. They are all the same.

This is the realism that i would like to see in AOE4

siege Units: look at details on woods and iron. Simply realistic.

Different fauna for different biomas:

Giraffas and Zebras

An honorable mention to Atlantidean units that should remind to Roman Empire (but i would like to see a proper Roman civilization)

myrmidon

Armours and helmet are very realistic

And heavy infantry: this is “a kind of roman Legionary”

But what surprised me is the “roman imperial gallic helmet” (the most iconic roman helment with the famous lorica segmentata armour). This rapresentation is simply fantastic.

So this is why many people are asking for better graphic and textures updates. But all these changes are not coming with patches. They would need of related DLC.

Will Relic able to improve the AOE4 graphic wihout changing the art style? AOMRE has colour art style but looks more realistic because models are much detailed.

7 Likes