The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

that i think we can all agree on, but i wanna see how it plays before i say anything about it

I think it’s time to change graphic engine. U5 seems very promising also for RTS. The main problem: we don’t know if there will be another Age of Empires.

1 Like

thing with UE5 is, it can handle graphics, but for RTS mechanics and gameplay, you have to write the entire back end on your own, similar to what stormgate is doing rn

My hypothesis is that Relic and MS agreed to make AoE4 on Relic’s existing engine. And as clean as that idea sounded to both parties, they quickly realized the engine did not suit Age of Empires very well

It’s very hard to ignore that every forest patch MUST form a circle. They really are struggling with the engine.

1 Like

I mean for Europeans… I know that it was the ancient prehistoric peoples who crossed Beringia who discovered the continent…

Yes, and oh yes… Although I still dislike that image for reminding me when my hype died to return to the Middle Ages instead of going the other way…

In short, they f… everything…

It is not very difficult to elucidate, they were for the competitive instead of giving it a more realistic look…

This is a lie, since we know that Relic’s devs were a big fan of AoE 2 in their day…

This could be more reasonable, although weird since CoH 3 uses the same engine and I from what I’ve seen and played of the game looks spectacular with respect to AoE 4…

Yes, I with some graphic improvement,4 campaigns using the missing civs: Abbasids, Delhi, Ottomans and Malians and marine fauna (and also terrestrial if possible) would already be…

Yes, it looks like a 2011 game at most…

Already when I saw that in 2021 they were not showing almost AoE 4 I smelled something strange…

Yes, I feel that AoE 4 did not survive the hype that had been generated since 2017 (or 2005 if we count from its previous numbered entry)…The AoE 3 players did not like it, nor did the AoE 2 players to whom it appealed the most…

I feel old when I remember that AoE 3 came out almost 18 years ago…(How long has it been since then XD)…I still remember how excited I was after trying their demo… at least AoE 3 took the trouble to take a chance (we already know that many classic players did not like the theme of decks of cards and metropolis)… But hey at least they tried… To AoE 4 you bring up the issue of the troops on the walls and the Mongolian civ and it has nothing new left…

That is true, as much as we like a game or a saga in particular, we should not endorse conformism because otherwise it will be harmful to the industry or users for the future…This is how the DLCS and online payment started…We finish with the 3 consoles with permanent connection to the internet, games as services and the loot boxes ramping at ease…

The same it’s ridiculous that you get distracted by having a herd of deer grazing there… nor that the pros have ADD…

Yes, I mean, Relic was simply hired to do AoE 4 and that’s it… they don’t know the saga like their original devs or Forgotten Empires…

Of course, in fact I think that when CoH 3 comes out many devs that were used in its development may be reused in AoE # ### directly in AoE 5) and then the games could have a strong graphic and gameplay improvement (although the latter is more than Forgotten Empires, more than Relic) …

Yes, it wouldn’t be bad either…

Yes, or at least 4 more campaigns for the missing civs: Abbasids;Delhi,Ottomans and Malians…

That’s right, in fact after DoW 3 was launched in 2017 they started with the development of CoH 3, but in the middle MS asked them to develop AoE 4, then Relic had to divide his team in two: Relic A (the main team) was going to take care of the development of CoH 3 and Relic B (the secondary team) was going to take care of the development of AoE 4 (that’s why they look so different despite sharing graphics engine)…

And a little and a little…

Of course, I wouldn’t have said it better…The last 3 missions of the Norman campaign are to do exactly the same thing (defend a stronghold) as if they had run out of ideas…That part of the campaign deflates everything in the end…Not even AoE 1 is so repetitive…The French campaign is very erratic (some missions are good, others not so much cof cof siege of Orleans cof cof)… The Mongolian campaign is a little better because of the different enemies and Rus is the best of all…

Of course, you compare them with the campaigns of Ensemble Studios and none of these have repeated or repetitive missions (AoE 1, AoE 2, SWGB, AoM, AoE 3, Halo Wars; even AoEO and that is an MMORTS)…

Yes, we hope that while we are talking Relic is developing new campaigns for the game… Come on, if AoE 3 could have 8 campaigns in the span of 2 years, AoE 4 can also do it…

Y que retroceso xd…

Yes, quite the opposite with AoE 3, which swept graphically with all RTS at least until the launch of SC2 in 2010…

The engine of AoE 3 is called Bang Engine…

CoH 3 is not going to explode and in any case it did, Relic would focus on DoW # ## AoE 5 (since Homeworld 3 and W40K Space Marine 2 are already being developed by other studios and come out just this year) …

I couldn’t have said it better…We want more risks…I hate that the industry has become so conformist…

Stormgate looks great, but as it has not yet come out and is still in development we can not use it for comparison, although it is in the line of SC2 with units taken from WC3R …

And Crossfire Legion too…

Like any game…

Yes,the same I think there will be another AoE, although at least we will have to wait until 2027 (since in 2023 we will have CoH 3 and minimum there will be factional and thematic dlcs for 2-3 years)…

3 Likes

Always get a smirk when I see an epic quote post from you.

2 Likes

Thank you, it takes me time to answer each one, so I appreciate the time you take to read it xd …

Thankfully he stopped making a separate post for each quote :laughing:

2 Likes

AOE4 humiliated the AOE franchise in almost every possible way xD

EDIT: I mean, its failure damaged the AOE franchise and its future.

Pro Esports players suggested to change all those things and devs did it right away without even thinking…

3 Likes

No way! It looks horrible in every way!

2 Likes

add the reason that it needs almost a high spec pc for meh graph results. The perception could be less critic if it requires less resources. is like paying high dinner cost for a burger. the burger doesnt taste bad but the cost is not worth it.

Hahahahahahahaha u serious??

4 Likes

Yup!

Like I already said, the Definitive Editions are a bit more complicated, but I still prefer the art style in IV.

There are a lot of things I could highlight with III: DE that are negatives for me, but there’s no point. It’s my personal preference and I don’t feel the need to put the dev’s work down because of it. I don’t own that version of the game (I own the base / regular version), so it wouldn’t make sense anyway.

1 Like

the acknowledgement that a lot of people should be more open to making, thank you, everyone has certain preference

I cannot even recognize its screenshot, but I can talk a lot of negatives about the game.

7 Likes

About the art style, yeah. Not the game as a whole, but nice try :smiley:

I’m just generally not a fan of upscaled 00s-era graphics. The gaps are normally very obvious to me, and that’s not because the devs have done bad work at all. But there are, ultimately, gaps, because they’re working on uplifting something that’s so old.

It’s not like Dead Space, or the System Shock remake, where they’re flat-out redoing the whole thing. They’re redoing parts, and slotting them in.

I’d love to see your responses to people who are criticizing AOE4’s art styles based on a screenshot (and not even knowing the source of it).

1 Like

I don’t get it. Do you have an argument, or are you just having another go at me for something you think I’ve done?

There’s been plenty of criticism of Age IV’s art. Like I said before, I’ve already been throwing out suggestions on what could be better (in Age IV). What have you done, except mock others?

1 Like

Maybe adding a little more to the credibility of your arguments?

Most of the time when people are comparing two games, they know both of them well enough.
If someone just wants to fend off that argument, he doesn’t need to, and that definitely makes his points very solid, and it is good for other people to be aware of that.

6 Likes